Options

Tivo users - any feedback?

Comments

• Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    cbcdesign wrote: »
    Yeah stupid remote. Not your fault that you put a table between your seating position and the TiVo box then!:confused:

Well the fact that every other remote including the V+ remote works perfectly fine and has done for years yet the TiVo remote refuses to work through glass, exactly what do you think the problem is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

Perhaps it's one-way glass.

Have you turned the table?

<<sniggers>>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Well the fact that every other remote including the V+ remote works perfectly fine and has done for years yet the TiVo remote refuses to work through glass, exactly what do you think the problem is?

Its certainly not a line of sight issue as I can point my remote at the opposite wall and TiVo works fine. I guess TiVo is less tolerant of reflection or whatever your table is doing to the IR signal. Perhaps it is distorting the signal in some way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

Perhaps it's one-way glass.

Have you turned the table?

<<sniggers>>

Haha! :D
    Its certainly not a line of sight issue as I can point my remote at the opposite wall and TiVo works fine. I guess TiVo is less tolerant of reflection or whatever your table is doing to the IR signal. Perhaps it is distorting the signal in some way?

Yeah that's what i was thinking. Getting used to doing it now so not much of an issue really.
  • Options
    passingbatpassingbat Posts: 771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Software glitches- factory faults.

In that case, you get it changed for one that works fully. That is to say, one that will record three shows at the same time and let you watch one you've already recorded.

That's the Tivo spec, a spec that's been prooved by all who have tivo! :D
  • Options
    bpn29bpn29 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Hey all, got my TiVo box today - got two engineers for the price of one but they got the job done, it took 1 hour to load the information and has been quite whizzy since then :D

Can't wait to try out the triple recording (although I now can't find 3 things that I want recorded at once!)

Am definitely enjoying the tuners still recording the previous channel even though it's been changed :)

Oh, and I had asked about the PQ of the TiVo boxes and I believe I do notice a slight difference between SD and HD channels (whereas with the V+, there was no difference) - this is on a 22-inch HDTV btw.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »

Are you able to reposition the the box or move it to another shelf in the unit altogether to see if that helps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Are you able to reposition the the box or move it to another shelf in the unit altogether to see if that helps?

I had thought of that actually but the stand i have is a corner glass affair with 2 shelves. The top shelf is bigger so my AV amp goes there as it wont fit on the bottom shelf sadly so its kinda stuck where it is.

I may switch it sides from the left to the right see if that makes any odds.

Thanks though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explan this please?
    I set a programme to record at 21.00, let's call it programme A
    Also set Tivo to record a programme B at the same time
    At 21.00 I was watching but not recording programme C
    At 21.00 whilst watching programme C a message comes up that I must press OK to change the tuner so that the Tivo can start recording programme B.
    Clicked OK and carried on watching programme C.
    Now two Red lights on Tivo, it's recording A and B.

If I hadn't been at the screen watching C I wouldn't have seen the click OK and presumabaly it wouldn't have recorded programme B.
    Why should it do this rather than just get on with recording A and B and letting me watch C?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At 21.00 whilst watching programme C a message comes up that I must press OK to change the tuner so that the Tivo can start recording programme B.

If I hadn't been at the screen watching C I wouldn't have seen the click OK and presumabaly it wouldn't have recorded programme B.
    Why should it do this rather than just get on with recording A and B and letting me watch C?
    It would have recorded programme B. It auto switches after a minute or so if you don't press OK.

I've read that it asks you in case you have intentionally set the tuners to specific channels so that you can switch back and forth and rewind (all 3 tuners buffer the content).
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S.P.I.K.E. wrote: »
    I dont understand why you would need series link anyway as if its in your wish list it will record the series anyway??
    Series Links are more specific to channels. Wish Lists aren't.
  • Options
    JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    I didn't test the -'watch a previous recording whilst recording three new programs' theory...l.

I just did and it crashed out (day 2 :()

Maybe because i tried watching the one of the 3 programmes it was still recording
  • Options
    Brava 210Brava 210 Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    bpn29 wrote: »
    Hey all, got my TiVo box today - got two engineers for the price of one but they got the job done, it took 1 hour to load the information and has been quite whizzy since then :D

Can't wait to try out the triple recording (although I now can't find 3 things that I want recorded at once!)

Am definitely enjoying the tuners still recording the previous channel even though it's been changed :)

Oh, and I had asked about the PQ of the TiVo boxes and I believe I do notice a slight difference between SD and HD channels (whereas with the V+, there was no difference) - this is on a 22-inch HDTV btw.

Good news, strange that the V+ was so good at SD.
    Was it an SA V+ or Samsung ?
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Why couldnt they add the option of PDC my old VR bought about 12 years ago had it and it worked (as long as the station transmitted from their end)
    Well it won't after analogue switch-off ;)
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JethroUK wrote: »
    I just did and it crashed out (day 2 :()

Maybe because i tried watching the one of the 3 programmes it was still recording

Nope I've done that and it was fine
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that's exactly what i noticed the other night and seemed a bit odd.

never had it with the V+. i'd have assumed that, if you were watching programme C on a particular tuner, it would be clever enough to use the other two tuners to record programmes A and B, rather than feel the need to use the tuner you are using to watch programme C on.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    that's exactly what i noticed the other night and seemed a bit odd.

never had it with the V+. i'd have assumed that, if you were watching programme C on a particular tuner, it would be clever enough to use the other two tuners to record programmes A and B, rather than feel the need to use the tuner you are using to watch programme C on.

Iain

There was no point or need for it on the V+ as you could only view one tuner and only one tuner buffered.

With Tivo, you can view all three tuners and al three buffer. Tivo is asking in case you' are intentionally buffering on the tuner you aren't watching so that you can switch over and rewind and later.

It will automatically switch if you don't tell it not to.
  • Options
    bpn29bpn29 Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Brava 210 wrote: »
    Good news, strange that the V+ was so good at SD.
    Was it an SA V+ or Samsung ?

It was a Samsung V+ (which had replaced a faulty SA V+ 7 months ago but I cannot for the life of me remember how the SA used to behave with regards to HD channels!) and when I had the Samsung fitted in, the engineer himself couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i or the SD and HD channels so he just said in the end, may as well just do the highest option! (1080i for me)

Although, it is worth mentioning - since I've now got a larger memory, I've set almost all my Series Links to the HD channels so I'm using the SD channels less.

And lastly, I sit 1.5 - 2 metres away from the TV and the difference between SD and HD channels is hardly noticeable - it's more obvious if I'm sitting right in front of the TV (as I was doing yesterday in my excitement of the new TiVo!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Had Tivo fitted yesterday, it has been switching itself off and rebooting itself hourly, also try to do a search on you tube and type a couple of letters in and does the same, fair play tho been on to Virgin today and engineer coming out tomorrow, apart from this hasn't put me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If the table is distorting the signal then it might be worth actually try pointing it at the wall instead - might work

Is remote infra red or radio controlled?
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Had Tivo fitted yesterday, it has been switching itself off and rebooting itself hourly, also try to do a search on you tube and type a couple of letters in and does the same, fair play tho been on to Virgin today and engineer coming out tomorrow, apart from this hasn't put me off.

Mine did that on the day of install last week. But it's settled down, and I haven't experienced it since.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Anyone wrote: »
    No, I'm sorry, I can't. Thanks for asking though.

J...That's very polite but not really useful.

passingbat answered the question earlier on, thanks passingbat.

I does seem a little strange that the Tivo would choose to think that I may have wanted to bufffer rather than act upon something I've explicitly told it to do i.e. record. I would like an option to turn that type of reasoning off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine did that [kept rebooting] on the day of install last week. But it's settled down, and I haven't experienced it since.

That could suggest the engineer didn't install all updates and it's doing it its self
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least your engineer turned up

We had an appointment booked three weeks in advance, printed paperwork as confirmation, rang two days before to confirm.

Still no show on the day

Rang three useless and rude people to ask why. No-one cared and they said it was for 3 days later than the date we originally said.

Our TV and internet has loads of downtimes, sometimes for hours and for days on end.

I'm pigging sick of Virgin:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Cstar2229 wrote: »
    At least your engineer turned up

We had an appointment booked three weeks in advance, printed paperwork as confirmation, rang two days before to confirm.

Still no show on the day

Rang three useless and rude people to ask why. No-one cared and they said it was for 3 days later than the date we originally said.

Our TV and internet has loads of downtimes, sometimes for hours and for days on end.

I'm pigging sick of Virgin:mad::mad::mad:

Personally I would not be looking to add a new service and getting tied into another contract if I was suffering as many problems with my TV and internet as you are.
    I would be contacting Virgin and complaining that if they can't resolve these service issues then I'm ending my contract with them.