Are we underestimating the problem with Bees?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No one seems to be talking about it that much yet one of every three bites of food eaten worldwide depends on pollinators, especially bees, for a successful harvest.

Comments

• SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be thriving in my garden.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not underestimating it.

But don't know what to do and nobody seems to know how to stop it either.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grow wildflowers/bushes in my back and front gardens,especially for the bees.
    I love watching them swarming over the flowers.Yum yum!.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bees are important, they make honey also and that is quite sweet.:D
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The UK government voted against the proposed ban on the pesticide thought to be causing the problem. Thankfully, we were yet again saved from a short-sighted decision by our government, that is owned by big companies and only works for them, by being part of the EU.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Ssdd wrote: »
    They seem to be thriving in my garden.
    Same here.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a worldwide problem any beekeepers here who could explain what is happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The UK government voted against the proposed ban on the pesticide thought to be causing the problem. Thankfully, we were yet again saved from a short-sighted decision by our government, that is owned by big companies and only works for them, by being part of the EU.

Exactly what I thought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I love bees :(
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid in the 90s they used to say the Pandas and Rhinos will be exited in 10 years time... They are still around... it's mainly just scare tactics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when food shortages and the price of food becomes a serious issue, there will be loads of threads about it.

Until then ignorance is bliss I guess.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked a beekeeper about it at a show and he told me it is largely an exaggeration and they are already seeing recovery in numbers anyways.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I asked a beekeeper about it at a show and he told me it is largely an exaggeration and they are already seeing recovery in numbers anyways.

That's good:) There is something especially lovely about Bumble Bee's.

I will be interested to see these new robotic ones they're making
    http://robobees.seas.harvard.edu/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that there was a problem with Queen Bees. Anyone else heard this?
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    No one seems to be talking about it that much yet one of every three bites of food eaten worldwide depends on pollinators, especially bees, for a successful harvest.

It's going to have much more of an impact than people appreciate, I reckon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    It's going to have much more of an impact than people appreciate, I reckon.

me too. People aren't bothered though. Not until it starts hitting them at the Supermarkets..
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    me too. People aren't bothered though. Not until it starts hitting them at the Supermarkets..

Exactly. Which it will.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love bees. I give them a spoon full of sugary water when they seem tired. They love it! My mates laugh at me. But then I have the beautiful garden! :D
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm the most anti-animal (apart from humans) person in the world but I love bees.

Bees rock. And bees dying is not just down to pesticides but as ever if it can be taxed it becomes the baddy.

http://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/other-wildlife/save-our-bees
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I love bees. I give them a spoon full of sugary water when they seem tired. They love it! My mates laugh at me. But then I have the beautiful garden! :D

I do the same for hummingbirds. Bees just eat away at some of my flowers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    I do the same for hummingbirds. Bees just eat away at some of my flowers.

Are you American? I've been to America so many times but all i've seen are pigeons, starlings and sparrows ie the same as British birds. Where have I gone wrong?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    Are you American? I've been to America so many times but all i've seen are pigeons, starlings and sparrows ie the same as British birds. Where have I gone wrong?

Yes I'm American. Hummingbirds are present throughout most of the country but vary as to the time of year, species, and whether they are breeding or migrating to somewhere warmer, when it gets cold. There are approximately 30 different species seen in the lower 48 states, and some are also in Alaska when it warms up. They are not difficult to see or attract. I see them constantly when I'm at my computer and look out into the garden, forested areas. Along with the bald eagle they are my favorite birds. Adorable and beautiful.

I find it sad that you say you have mainly seen sparrows and starlings as they are two of the worst invasive bird species from Europe inhabiting America, birds that have affected many smaller and less aggressive native species. I hate them. The starlings also do a lot of temporary damage to certain trees, such as our palms. I suspect you may not have had much time in green spaces when here to see other bird species. I would guess that you were just in urban areas and/or didn't spend much time dedicated to bird watching.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/bobky/Hummingbird%20Forum/Aug0606.gif
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Yes I'm American. Hummingbirds are present throughout most of the country but vary as to the time of year, species, and whether they are breeding or migrating to somewhere warmer, when it gets cold. There are approximately 30 different species seen in the lower 48 states, and some are also in Alaska when it warms up. They are not difficult to see or attract. I see them constantly when I'm at my computer and look out into the garden, forested areas. Along with the bald eagle they are my favorite birds. Adorable and beautiful.

I find it sad that you say you have mainly seen sparrows and starlings as they are two of the worst invasive bird species from Europe inhabiting America, birds that have affected many smaller and less aggressive native species. I hate them. The starlings also do a lot of temporary damage to certain trees, such as our palms. I suspect you may not have had much time in green spaces when here to see other bird species. I would guess that you were just in urban areas and/or didn't spend much time dedicated to bird watching.

I have two words for you.

Grey squirrels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    I have two words for you.

Grey squirrels.

And? :confused: I thought we were talking about birds?
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have been saying Pandas are going to be exstinked for years