So many closed channels, which do you miss?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Closed channels that I can think of, I don't always trust minor channels these days, if I get too into them they might just close. It seems you hear more news stories today of "we're closing this channel" rather than new launches!
We've had so many different and fairly interesting channels that have simply closed on satellite, here's a few/.

Ones I can think of just from the top of my head

Rapture
The Paranormal Channel (showed Strange But True)

The Medical Channel

Audi Channel

LONDON TV

Solent TV

Channel M (Manchester)

The Pub Channel (couldn't get it anyway had to be a pub subscriber)

Simply Money

The Business Channel (am I remembering right?)

Nicktoonsters

NickToons Replay

ITV Play

ITV Sport

Trouble

Bravo/Bravo+1

Bravo 2

Living Loves

.tv (the Computer Channel) (liked this)

Toonami

Celtic TV/Rangers TV/RealMadridTV

Setanta Sports

The Studio (by Universal films) (though never launched on satellite)

Zone Reality/Reality TV (replaced by CBS Reality) not as good and now another Reality TV (not as good) channel has appeared

controversial tv (about to close) and be replaced by Loaded TV (goodbye some of the more interesting conspiracy theories etc)

FHM (wjhilst we're thinking about that) replaced by Heat

Q (music videos) (with the loss of this channel, the only more alternative channel is Kerrang! the rest is basically pop)

L!ve TV (see where this thought train has taken me!)

GAME Network (could be wishy washy and sometimes good games coverage from the only channel devoted to video games run from Italy (remember the Game Guru!), got buried by teleshopping and psychic phoneline content by the end)

Fashion TV +1

Discovery Travel & Living (I used to like Discovery Travel & Adventure now there is no specific Travel channel from Discovery)

wedding TV/wedding TV+1

Motors TV
and of course this one

Men&Motors (last remaining channel that originated from the Granada Sky channels)

FilmFour World/FilmFour Extreme (filmFour was so good when these channels existed)

CCTV9 (Chinese state channel has become CCTV News)

Blighty (never got a +1 and never got HD)

BBC Choice and BBC Knowledge (became BBC THREE & FOUR respectively, a good change, but would be good for the BBC to have a seperate Knowledge channel.

S4C2 (just welsh assembley coverage)

S4C HD
A channel on EPG 666 which was the only shopping channel I liked because it was all about mobile phones!

I'm sure there will be more, that's a lot of choices lost. Could there be a channel which allows the content of some of these channels to broadcast on just one channel, eg a bit of the Paranormal Channel, a bit of London TV, that would be a lot more sustainable.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK Play!
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    alves wrote: »
    UK Play!

How could I forget? Play UK which brought us the brilliant Unnovations
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdFmX3P2aM
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You missed recently (and sadly) closed ESPN Classic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I really liked Simply Money and loved .tv. It's funny because I think .tv would have survived now as technology moves on and more people become interested in it.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Filmnet, a good source for early releases.

CMT Europe (Country Music Television).

The Weather Channel.

Sky Soap - I know about it but never watched it - honest.
    Forum Member
    You missed recently (and sadly) closed ESPN Classic.

You didn't need the sports pack for it, you'd have thought they'd have been happy to keep that going.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't need the sports pack for it, you'd have thought they'd have been happy to keep that going.

Who keep it going?

ESPN Classic was supplied by ESPN, who pulled out of the UK at the end of July.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are wrong about Motors TV which is still going strong although no longer a subscription channel it is now FTV on FreesatFromSky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only watch Bravo and The Paranormal Channel.

Granada Plus is a lost channel which I really miss.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Closed channels that I can think of, I don't always trust minor channels these days, if I get too into them they might just close. It seems you hear more news stories today of "we're closing this channel" rather than new launches!
    We've had so many different and fairly interesting channels that have simply closed on satellite, here's a few/.

Ones I can think of just from the top of my head

Rapture
    The Paranormal Channel (showed Strange But True)

The Medical Channel

Audi Channel

LONDON TV

Solent TV

Channel M (Manchester)

The Pub Channel (couldn't get it anyway had to be a pub subscriber)

Simply Money

The Business Channel (am I remembering right?)

Nicktoonsters

NickToons Replay

ITV Play

ITV Sport

Trouble

Bravo/Bravo+1

Bravo 2

Living Loves

.tv (the Computer Channel) (liked this)

Toonami

Celtic TV/Rangers TV/RealMadridTV

Setanta Sports

The Studio (by Universal films) (though never launched on satellite)

Zone Reality/Reality TV (replaced by CBS Reality) not as good and now another Reality TV (not as good) channel has appeared

controversial tv (about to close) and be replaced by Loaded TV (goodbye some of the more interesting conspiracy theories etc)

FHM (wjhilst we're thinking about that) replaced by Heat

Q (music videos) (with the loss of this channel, the only more alternative channel is Kerrang! the rest is basically pop)

L!ve TV (see where this thought train has taken me!)

GAME Network (could be wishy washy and sometimes good games coverage from the only channel devoted to video games run from Italy (remember the Game Guru!), got buried by teleshopping and psychic phoneline content by the end)

Fashion TV +1

Discovery Travel & Living (I used to like Discovery Travel & Adventure now there is no specific Travel channel from Discovery)

wedding TV/wedding TV+1

Motors TV
    and of course this one

Men&Motors (last remaining channel that originated from the Granada Sky channels)

FilmFour World/FilmFour Extreme (filmFour was so good when these channels existed)

CCTV9 (Chinese state channel has become CCTV News)

Blighty (never got a +1 and never got HD)

BBC Choice and BBC Knowledge (became BBC THREE & FOUR respectively, a good change, but would be good for the BBC to have a seperate Knowledge channel.

S4C2 (just welsh assembley coverage)

S4C HD
    A channel on EPG 666 which was the only shopping channel I liked because it was all about mobile phones!

I'm sure there will be more, that's a lot of choices lost. Could there be a channel which allows the content of some of these channels to broadcast on just one channel, eg a bit of the Paranormal Channel, a bit of London TV, that would be a lot more sustainable.

You are wrong, The Pub Channel is now back and I watch it occasionally
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    You are wrong, The Pub Channel is now back and I watch it occasionally
    You run a pub as well then?!
    :confused:
    Sorry, of course I've just realised that you must have access to the channel because you're a journalist........
    :D
  • atannatann Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Granada+ & Bravo. I remember watching the old school Coronation Street on there on a Sunday afternoon.
  • DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screensport and Lifestyle / Lifestyle Jukebox. Ahh the memories.... hello hello la la la la .....
  • lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered who would be the first person to quote the whole OP with a one liner about one line in the OP. :rolleyes:

Of all those mentioned, the only ones I miss are L!ve and CMT.
    L!ve while silly was great fun and a little known fact, had the first perfomance of the Spice Girls singing wannabe on its 425 afternoon show. Pure professionalism by the camaramen :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goOpjetROL0
    Forum Member
    atann wrote: »
    Granada+ & Bravo. I remember watching the old school Coronation Street on there on a Sunday afternoon.

When some channels close the programmes they played never get shown anywhere else. Play UK with Unnovations and even The Mitchell & Webb Situation, classic Coronation Street and also Emmerdale has never been played since, and it would be ripe for digital TV.

Which channel would best suit it, Watch in daytime? Drama? ITV3?
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Comedy

Family Channel
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Celtic TV
    Rangers TV
    Arsenal TV
    whereits.at (The shortest lived channel in history)
    Friendly TV (Remember Paul Lavers calling someone gay when the mics were left up?)
    ESPN America
    ITV News Channel
    Shop America
    Sky Scottish
    Sky Travel
    Sky Travel Extra
    Sky Travel Shop
    Bid Plus (From Sunday morning)
    ... all those god-awful quiz channels that hit the wall when the channels were investigated over their practices

There are loads more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I really miss TWC Fight/The Fight Network

There wasn't even a plain clear reason WHY it closed down! Does anyone know?
  • wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Screensport and Lifestyle / Lifestyle Jukebox. Ahh the memories.... hello hello la la la la .....

Deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    TCM 2 - they were the only channel to play any Adult Swim content. Shame it's gone :(
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    sim116s wrote: »
    TCM 2 - they were the only channel to play any Adult Swim content. Shame it's gone :(

Try the Adult Swim app for android/iPhone, iPad etc.

Five episode available here.......

http://m.adultswim.com/
  • daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is some information about the Pub channel that Mr Welby Says he can watch, The Pub Channel is Dedicated exclusively to those who work in the license trade I,E Pubs Clubs and Bars.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satellite Jukebox.... back in the 90's, and of course Lifestyle.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    daniel99 wrote: »
    Here is some information about the Pub channel that Mr Welby Says he can watch, The Pub Channel is Dedicated exclusively to those who work in the license trade I,E Pubs Clubs and Bars.
    Remember that Joshua is a journalist, and therefore has access to things denied to us mere mortals!
    :D
  • Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homers wrote: »
    I really miss TWC Fight/The Fight Network

There wasn't even a plain clear reason WHY it closed down! Does anyone know?

TWC Fight was bought by The Fight Network (TFN) from Canada. (TFN would turn out to be inferior to TWC.)

TFN had plans for channels all over the world. IIRC they had offices in Asia and South America so they could move into these markets. This was their first international expansion by purchasing the established TWC Fight.

But TFN soon had additional problems in Canada.

They did a lot of cost-cutting and the UK channel was cut, along with a lot of staff in Canada to keep the business afloat. I believe the TFN creator had already left and had a lawsuit against the new owners.

TFN later filled for bankruptcy for $13.7 million. You can read this here.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2010/12/9/1866828/the-fight-networks-parent-company-files-for-bankruptcy-owes-over-13-7