Fifteen to One starts again next Saturday

Comments

• nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this any good? I've avoided it because of the presenter.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

Anyway, I think all the Toksvig hate is because people don't like a presenter who has some intelligence.

Yeah that's bound to be it. On the other hand though, could it just be that she's smug, self obsessed and not in the least interesting or funny ?

I've always found her to be a particularly depressing one trick pony - 'look at me - I'm gay - aren't I wonderful ???' Ditto Norton and that northern bloke with the glasses.

Hardly a fascinating USP.
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2607251/The-BT-salesman-dreamed-TVs-toughest-quiz-sold-rights-just-200.html

Interesting how he says, the main reason they didn't have any banter was so they could fit it all into the half hour yet that became one of the best, most unique features of the programme.

It's hardly a unique feature. Neither Mastermind nor University Challenge feature much chatting. Maybe they did back in the day (I'm too young to remember), but they certainly don't now.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    I really felt that had potential. It's a shame C4 buried it against The Chase and Pointless in the schedules, and then axed it after one series.

I had no idea that "Five Minutes to a Fortune" had been axed. I found it one of the most entertaining quiz shows in years!
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    Yeah that's bound to be it. On the other hand though, could it just be that she's smug, self obsessed and not in the least interesting or funny ?

I've always found her to be a particularly depressing one trick pony - 'look at me - I'm gay - aren't I wonderful ???' Ditto Norton and that northern bloke with the glasses.

Hardly a fascinating USP.

Da hell?
    Is this any good? I've avoided it because of the presenter.

Definitely give it a shot, nuttytiger :) The questions are good, the format's barely changed -- the only problem is the slowness of the first round, but even then it picks up momentum by the knock-out stages. And Sandi's really nice. But if you go in with a grudge like the poster above, then I suppose you'll only be annoyed. Worth a viewing, though.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Da hell?

Definitely give it a shot, nuttytiger :) The questions are good, the format's barely changed -- the only problem is the slowness of the first round, but even then it picks up momentum by the knock-out stages. And Sandi's really nice. But if you go in with a grudge like the poster above, then I suppose you'll only be annoyed. Worth a viewing, though.

I'll give it a go. I enjoyed it when it was on with William g Stewart.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the program. Would like it better if I didn't remember how great the original show was.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Da hell?

the format's barely changed

Are you kidding? I suggest you you tube the original episodes. The difference is as plain as night and day. Or maybe my memory is letting me down - maybe Bill G did say things like "Ah, had a good look around there I see" after contestants have nominated, chit chatted before the game had even started, giving regular updates on how many have been knocked out and are left, and maybe it's my imagination that both 15 question rounds and the question or nominate round were all completed before the FIRST ad break.

My advice nuttytigger - steer well clear of it, unless you like watching paint dry or enjoy inane banter.

And by the way - I think Sandi is good as The News Quiz host and when she guests on things like QI, but this garbage is an insult to the hitherto good name of Fifteen To One.
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Are you kidding? I suggest you you tube the original episodes. The difference is as plain as night and day. Or maybe my memory is letting me down - maybe Bill G did say things like "Ah, had a good look around there I see" after contestants have nominated, chit chatted before the game had even started, giving regular updates on how many have been knocked out and are left, and maybe it's my imagination that both 15 question rounds and the question or nominate round were all completed before the FIRST ad break.

The person you were responding to said that the format had barely changed. To me, the format means the rules of gameplay, which aside from a few minor changes are the same as ever. There are other things, such as the discussions with contestants, that are different, but they aren't really to do with the format of the show.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person you were responding to said that the format had barely changed. To me, the format means the rules of gameplay, which aside from a few minor changes are the same as ever. There are other things, such as the discussions with contestants, that are different, but they aren't really to do with the format of the show.

Thanks, George, that's exactly what I meant.

Go have a nice cool drink of water to calm yourself, culttvfan ^_^
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, George, that's exactly what I meant.

Go have a nice cool drink of water to calm yourself, culttvfan ^_^

No calming required, not for myself anyway, just giving an objective assessment of new and old. You can argue about what comprises format, but if the delivery of the show has changed to such a great degree for the worse, then, even if the rules are basically the same, it is NOT the same show as it was with Bill G. The problems also extend far beyond a slow first round. As I said, I suggest you refamiliarize yourself with the original to see just how different 15 to 1 MKII is.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Da hell?

Not being a fan of, or disliking an artiste's style or act is not the same as 'having a grudge'.
    She's not that important. .
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    No calming required, not for myself anyway, just giving an objective assessment of new and old. You can argue about what comprises format, but if the delivery of the show has changed to such a great degree for the worse, then, even if the rules are basically the same, it is NOT the same show as it was with Bill G. The problems also extend far beyond a slow first round. As I said, I suggest you refamiliarize yourself with the original to see just how different 15 to 1 MKII is.

Then surely you could say the same about any series which has changed a lot since the original? Is Doctor Who no longer Doctor Who because it's in colour, with more complex CGI features, filmed in different (and often more extravagant) locations, has a different length to how it used to and has a different actor playing the title character? Is The Archers no longer The Archers because it doesn't contain farming tips as it did in the 1950s? Not to mention international versions! Fifteen to One has numerous international versions - I haven't seen any of them, but I'm sure that some of them will be markedly different to William G's incarnation - more, indeed, than Sandi's. Something can change and evolve, and it can have different incarnations, but that doesn't mean it's no longer the same programme.

I think over the last few days the comments on here have been notably more positive - at any rate, there have been less complaints about the overall quality of the programme, and more serious discussions about the game and its contestants. Of course any genuine gripes that people have will still be there, but it's nice to know that people are at least about to enjoy it enough to have a conversation about it that isn't weighed down with negatives.
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I no longer complain about it on here is that I would only be repeating myself. My opinion that the show is a poor version of the original has not changed. I have taken to discussing the players and their tactics because that element of the game has not changed much,and there is room for a bit of debate about it. I am not going to keep posting on here, "My God,it's rubbish!", because it doesn't move the discussion on much.

I would be interested to know the viewing figures for this. The last report on this thread was that they were down to less than half a million at the end of the first week,having got over a million for the first one,although that was on a Saturday afternoon and was always likely to get a bigger audience with people watching just to see what the new version was like.

I don't know much about how television works but I can't see Channel 4,or their advertisers,being happy with a show that takes up an hour of the afternoon and is getting less that half a million people watching it.
    I notice that it has no advertising sponsor,as The Chase,Deal or No Deal and Countdown do. Even that Take on The Twisters that was briefly on ITV last year in The Chase slot had one! (Can't remember who it was but it definitely did.)
    Maybe they tried to get one but couldn't get anyone interested. "We'll see how the first series goes,then get back to you.."
    Forum Member
    The reason I no longer complain about it on here is that I would only be repeating myself. My opinion that the show is a poor version of the original has not changed. I have taken to discussing the players and their tactics because that element of the game has not changed much,and there is room for a bit of debate about it. I am not going to keep posting on here, "My God,it's rubbish!", because it doesn't move the discussion on much.

You must at least be enjoying it enough to keep watching it though. People might have gripes about something, but surely if you're watching something regularly and contributing to a forum about it, it must at least have enough to it for you to carry on watching it, even if you did prefer it the way that it was before.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Mr Stainer has just entered the building..

And Diane the Cat Lady!

What with those two, and a few other experienced quizzers, this could be a final for the other contestants to avoid....
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    this howard guy looks ill
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've still only seen the first show (the Saturday one). Think I'll stick it on now. See if it's improved much.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    this howard guy looks ill

He gave the impression of being a virtual cripple when he was on Clever Dicks a couple of years ago as well. I don't think he's ill. I think he's just a bit peculiar!

Plus, I think he stays in that bizarre head-crouched-down stance so that he can concentrate on the questions. I can understand that, since I find I have to stare fixedly at the floor when I'm listening to the questions on 15-to-1, or else I make lots of silly mistakes. The information comes in too quickly, given the short thinking time you have. I suspect a few of the other contestants would do better if they tried to block out anything extraneous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"What is a score of three under par known as in golf?" The usual term used is albatross,but some golf people,particularly Americans,call it a double eagle. Which doesn't make much sense,really. An eagle is two under par,so surely a double eagle would be four under par? But that's golf for you.

I must be psychic,they had that very question today.
    That Stainer bloke looked pretty useful. Turns out he's some top bod in quizzing. I could see him winning the final. Surprised he didn't know An Inspector Calls though.
    The questions were pretty tough today,I thought. There was a period during the Nominate round when there were about eight questions in a row answered wrong.
    Julie looks a little bit like Cheryl Cole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first saw Howard I thought he might be blind. I was hoping he'd get a question right in the Nominate round so then I'd find out for sure.
    I remember they had a blind guy on the original series and he had somebody with him to help with the nominating,as he obviously couldn't see who was left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    LordBobbin wrote: »
    He gave the impression of being a virtual cripple when he was on Clever Dicks a couple of years ago as well. I don't think he's ill. I think he's just a bit peculiar!

Plus, I think he stays in that bizarre head-crouched-down stance so that he can concentrate on the questions. I can understand that, since I find I have to stare fixedly at the floor when I'm listening to the questions on 15-to-1, or else I make lots of silly mistakes. The information comes in too quickly, given the short thinking time you have. I suspect a few of the other contestants would do better if they tried to block out anything extraneous.

I think he may be suffering from some kind of spondylosis. I am acquainted with several people who suffer from this, resulting in the locked vertaebre and the bent head.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Stainer bloke looked pretty useful. Turns out he's some top bod in quizzing. I could see him winning the final. Surprised he didn't know An Inspector Calls though.
    Yes I was surprised at that. I am also surprised that he is new to you. :)

He is well known from Only Connect and has his own Wikipedia page.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Yes I was surprised at that. I am also surprised that [David Stainer] is new to you. :)

David Stainer is the second member if the all conquerring Crossworders team to a appear in 15 to 1 as Mark Grant cropped up last week. Both of them have appeared in Mastermind and both have been Brain of Britain finalists (but not in the same year) with Mark being current Brain of Britain.

Just one more Crossworder to appear to have the full set.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I was surprised at that. I am also surprised that he is new to you. :)

I knew the Inspector Calls question because I did it at school. I found David Stainer's wikipedia page,I just googled "stainer quiz",after Lord Bobbin had mentioned him on here,it was the first one listed,that's how I found out he was a big cheese in quiz land.
    I've never been much of a fan of Only Connect. Watched it a few times but I find it quite stuffy and boring. To me it's like watching people play Scrabble or something. A pub quiz teammate of mine raves about it,he watches it every week. Having said that I think he might have a bit of a thing for Victoria Coren. She doesn't do much for me,though.