Options

BBC Glastonbury 2014 thread

Comments

• Options
    The_ChiefThe_Chief Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    SnakeGuy wrote: »
    Just love London Grammar, amazingly haunting melodies and the girl not only has a stunning voice she is absolutley gorgious looking,

me too, i've never heard of them and they blew me away, spending a boring monday morning in the office looking them up.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    Let the speculation for 2015 begin. 3 headliners already confirmed, one being a British singer, with an non-British band, according to Michael. Fleetwood Mac? AC/DC?
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Adele? Bon Jovi? LOL.

Please... no, no, no and no.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is how the media and general public built up this Metallica thing, it's so naive and shows just how out of touch the average person is with music.

Metallica have been round for 30 years, sold 130 million records, won grammys - and like any rock/metal act makes it's name from constant touring. The outrage of 'Metallica' headlining Glasto - followed by the surprise they were actually very good is just plain silly.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her spokesperson has denied it, plus I don't think Eavis would let her anyway. Maybe she just sings it in that way occasionally.

They don't just sound similar they are exactly the same, so she's either miming or she's a robot.

I was going to do this but someone else beat me to it:

http://marcelmarceau123.svbtle.com/mimin-dolly

A comparison of vocals from Glastonbury and another concert.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2015 headliners.

Kate Bush (if she survives the trauma of playing live again this year).

Prince (If he stops being a drama queen)

Oasis (if they settle their differences in time).

If not, maby The Stone Roses, The Foo Fighters and Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    They don't just sound similar they are exactly the same, so she's either miming or she's a robot.

I was going to do this but someone else beat me to it:

http://marcelmarceau123.svbtle.com/mimin-dolly

A comparison of vocals from Glastonbury and another concert.

But the instruments are in-sync too, so you are suggesting the whole set was mimed to a backing track? I did remember thinking how that violin riff that plays through Jolene sounded incredibly stella for a live festival. Mind you I thought the whole set sounded so incredibly good.
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing about Metallica - at least they agreed to let their entire set be broadcast - unlike many so called "Artists" like The Rolling Stones. Extra brownie points from me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    2015 headliners.

Kate Bush (if she survives the trauma of playing live again this year).

Prince (If he stops being a drama queen)

I doubt Kate would do it as it's took her long enough to do these few dates in London, plus she's probably a bit too avant garde for the main stage.

Prince doesn't really want or need to do Glastonbury or he'd have done it already.

I don't think Oasis will do it seeing as Noel's got a new record due out next year and Beady Eye are probably working on something. I think it'll be a few years til they get back together.

The Stone Roses is a good bet as they're supposedly working on new material (not that they'd necessarily play it live) and are a popular band, it would also be good timing for them after getting their own live dates out of the way. Foo's are possible but again they're working on new material and I'm not sure the timing is right and I think Fleetwood Mac is a no as they probably just want to do their own shows, would cost too much and in-band relationships are dodgy.

Personally I think it'll be Alexandra Brurke, Scott Walker and The Brett Domino Trio.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the instruments are in-sync too, so you are suggesting the whole set was mimed to a backing track?

I suppose it's a lot easier to sync instruments than it is to sync a vocal.. but it wouldn't surprise me if they're doing something with that too. The thing with Dolly is she's more of a performance than a singer imho. She's taking the "Dolly Show" on the road.. does all the classics and everyone leaves happy. I doubt anyone really cares all that much if she's miming. I don't think they go to see Dolly for an amazing live vocal performance. They just go along to enjoy her songs and her attitude on stage etc.. which was live.

A good illustration is to compare her set with Blondies. Both are 68.. one was singing live, the other wasn't. It's so clear. But ultimately does it really matter with Dolly? I don't think it does. Everyone had a good time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Dolly's fanbase care, but it questions the integrity of the festival somewhat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Chief wrote: »
    me too, i've never heard of them and they blew me away, spending a boring monday morning in the office looking them up.

They are amazing, I've been listening to their album non stop since it was released, they should be headliners next year.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    The sad thing is how the media and general public built up this Metallica thing, it's so naive and shows just how out of touch the average person is with music.

Metallica have been round for 30 years, sold 130 million records, won grammys - and like any rock/metal act makes it's name from constant touring. The outrage of 'Metallica' headlining Glasto - followed by the surprise they were actually very good is just plain silly.
    I'm sorry but Metallica are not that great musically. In essence they are just another very loud 3 chord bash band. Granted they have a very talented guitarist in Kirk Hammet who's musically wasted in Metallica imo, but he's probably more interested in the dollars than the music. I heard Metallica do Whisky In The Jar. Why? That's an Irish song and Thin Lizzy who were Irish did it a whole lot better All Metallica did was try to copy note for note the Lizzy version. but it was just unconvincing. If it was supposed to be a tribute to TL I would imagine that Whisky iIn The Jar was long before most Metallica fans' time or awareness of the TL version.

To their credit at least with all the money they have they still make the effort to go out and tour unlike many other bands or artists who only reluctantly tour to promote their latest whatever. So full marks to Metallica for that.

But not to diss all metal I think Iron Maiden are a far more interesting and original band
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does anyone who watched it on TV have that pang of interest in perhaps getting tickets for next year and doing it for a first time?

Happens to me every year but I think I've already talked myself out of it. Not sure I'm cut out for it all.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So does anyone who watched it on TV have that pang of interest in perhaps getting tickets for next year and doing it for a first time?

Happens to me every year but I think I've already talked myself out of it. Not sure I'm cut out for it all.

Only if I suddenly become rich enough to afford to be helicoptered in and out each day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

On the subject of The Stone Roses.. Oasis wouldn't want to do Glasto the same year. Not for selfish reasons but due to their respect for TSR. I do think Oasis will perform again whenever the inevitable reunion happens.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Michael Eavis has said it won't be Prince. He already has the three headliners on board fr next year.

The clue he gave, more than a litle strongly, points to AC/DC being one of them.

"British singer. The rest of the band not British anymore and I booked it with their agent while watching Metallica."

Well. Brian Johnson is still British, However Angus and Malcolm Young, while born in Scotland moved to Australia wen they were young and became naturalised Australians.

Co-incidence that Metallica and AC/DC share the same booking agent?

Frankly, if it was AC/DC I think they'd put on a good show.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not first time - but I've not been for a few years, and will definitely be getting tickets for next year. Watching it on TV this year really made me miss going.
  • Options
    RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I'm sorry but Metallica are not that great musically. In essence they are just another very loud 3 chord bash band. Granted they have a very talented guitarist in Kirk Hammet who's musically wasted in Metallica imo, but he's probably more interested in the dollars than the music. I heard Metallica do Whisky In The Jar. Why? That's an Irish song and Thin Lizzy who were Irish did it a whole lot better All Metallica did was try to copy note for note the Lizzy version. but it was just unconvincing. If it was supposed to be a tribute to TL I would imagine that Whisky iIn The Jar was long before most Metallica fans' time or awareness of the TL version.

To their credit at least with all the money they have they still make the effort to go out and tour unlike many other bands or artists who only reluctantly tour to promote their latest whatever. So full marks to Metallica for that.

But not to diss all metal I think Iron Maiden are a far more interesting and original band

Metallica have been playing Whiskey In The Jar since the late 90's - I'm pretty sure most Metallica fans will have been aware of it......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AC/DC? Pah It's become a festival for pervy grandads.

Oasis are too big to play Glastonbury, especially if it was their debut "reunion" performance. Never going to happen.
  • Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done a lot that even I've heard of. Unfinished Symphony
    Ah hahaha. That's by some geezer called Schubert
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oasis are too big to play Glastonbury, especially if it was their debut "reunion" performance. Never going to happen.

How do you work that one out? They did three nights in Manchester shortly before their split, and tickets were easy to come by - particularly the Thursday night, when they were going for a pittance.

If The Rolling Stones, U2, Springsteen, amongst others, aren't "too big" to play Glastonbury, Oasis certainly aren't.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Agree with this.

It's a little nauseating to see fans of heavier rock thinking that they're so superior to everyone else for liking the genre just because their music is louder though, as if that's the be all and end all.

Still enjoyed Blondie more. Dolly Parton will be great tomorrow too. How was Jack White's set anyone?

If you believe that is the case then you obviously have absolutely no understanding of either Metal or its fans......

Although your average Metal fan really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oasis Knebworth gigs:-
    Over 2.6 million people applied for tickets for the shows, making it the largest ever demand for concert tickets in British history.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    If The Rolling Stones, U2, Springsteen, amongst others, aren't "too big" to play Glastonbury, Oasis certainly aren't.

Nobody is too big to play Glastonbury.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »

If you knew anything at all about Metallica, which you obviously don't, you would know why they did a cover of Whiskey In The Jar.

Metallica have always included a cover song in their set, either from a band that inspired them when they first started or one they respect. I've seen them do cover versions from the likes of Diamond Head, Thin Lizzy, Budgie, Queen, Anti-Nowhere League, etc.

As for their fans, they full well who Thin Lizzy are.