Options

Broken up, and the pain is unbearable.

gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been dating this guy for around 2 months, and things really took off quickly. We seemed to be madly in to each other, and most days he wanted to hang out and go for long walks. Before this we'd been chatting for nearly a year.

Things were going well until around the last few weeks. He seemed off with me and kept dropping me signals like "I'm sure you have lots of guys on the go" - "I loved your last selfie. You should use that as your Grindr pic". He seemed to be offline several days last week, which I thought was strange as well.

Last Friday night was a major point. We met up as usual, but he didn't kiss me in the car. For much of the evening he sat on the far end of the sofa and chatted to someone on his phone. He was distant to me all evening and ordered a taxi for me to go home around 3am, after we'd talked about his exes (one of which he says he misses terribly, yet doesn't ever want a relationship with again). He text me later in the night to say he just wanted a nice life with me. What the heck? :confused:

He text me last night to say he doesn't feel relationship chemistry between us, but keeps talking about being friends. Why does he want to be friends? I'm suspicious of this.

I'm really upset, as I liked this guy so much. I'm also annoyed at myself for falling so quickly and being taken in by his charm. I've just blocked him on WhatsApp, and cut off all communication with him.

Comments

• Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member
    Aw poopie, he wasn't right for you. You were only together a couple of months, so I reckon you'll be feeling yourself again before you know it. You did the right thing blocking him from those whatchummycallits though. Don't waste any more time thinking about him. Especially after his behaviour - anyone who sits at the opposite end of a couch chatting on their phone most of the evening doesn't want you there! You're better off without dealing with that. I always say that if a new relationship gets through the 3 month barrier, it looks good. Until then, there's a big risk of one person having a serious change of heart, once the initial thrill has worn off. It's more often than not the person who at first appears to be the most keen. That's what happened.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Chin up Poopie, looks like it just wasn't meant to be. Plenty more fish in the sea and all that...
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although you had only been seeing each other for 2 months, I suppose that because you had been chatting on grindr for over a year it probably felt like you had known each other a lot longer. Well done for cutting off all communication with him. He probably would have tried the whole "we could still be friends" thing, which normally just doesn't work and ends up makign the heartache worse. How old are you out of interest? Is this your first relationship?
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although you had only been seeing each other for 2 months, I suppose that because you had been chatting on grindr for over a year it probably felt like you had known each other a lot longer. Well done for cutting off all communication with him. He probably would have tried the whole "we could still be friends" thing, which normally just doesn't work and ends up makign the heartache worse. How old are you out of interest? Is this your first relationship?

I'm 31 and this is my second serious relationship I guess. I've only dated before now, but it's never come to anything.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Who is poopie???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poopie is just what I was calling the OP as a term of endearment because I felt for him. Sorry for the confusion!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Its probably for the best if everyone refers to the OP as Poopie from now on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Its probably for the best if everyone refers to the OP as Poopie from now on.

Certainly easier to say than gmphmac.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I'm a decade older than you, OP, and recently split up from a long-term partner, only to date someone new for a few months very quickly, and then get dumped by them last month. Breaking up with the short-term partner has been far more painful than the long-term one.

But I think perhaps this is symptomatic of how we build up people into illusions and ignore the reality. I know only too well how hard it can be, but see if you can separate what you thought about this person, what you hoped for, and what was actually there in real life. I wish you well.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've done the right thing OP, even though it hurts. Try separating from a partner of over 20 years: that's pain.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    gmphmac wrote: »
    I've been dating this guy for around 2 months, and things really took off quickly. We seemed to be madly in to each other, and most days he wanted to hang out and go for long walks. Before this we'd been chatting for nearly a year.

Things were going well until around the last few weeks. He seemed off with me and kept dropping me signals like "I'm sure you have lots of guys on the go" - "I loved your last selfie. You should use that as your Grindr pic". He seemed to be offline several days last week, which I thought was strange as well.

Last Friday night was a major point. We met up as usual, but he didn't kiss me in the car. For much of the evening he sat on the far end of the sofa and chatted to someone on his phone. He was distant to me all evening and ordered a taxi for me to go home around 3am, after we'd talked about his exes (one of which he says he misses terribly, yet doesn't ever want a relationship with again). He text me later in the night to say he just wanted a nice life with me. What the heck? :confused:

He text me last night to say he doesn't feel relationship chemistry between us, but keeps talking about being friends. Why does he want to be friends? I'm suspicious of this.

I'm really upset, as I liked this guy so much. I'm also annoyed at myself for falling so quickly and being taken in by his charm. I've just blocked him on WhatsApp, and cut off all communication with him.

Sorry for what happened to you.

It sounds as though he isn't over his ex.

Really one of my pet hates is people who date others when they are still hung up on their ex, it's not fair on anyone.

If you're not over the ex then stay single, don't mess others about.

Definitely avoid him. He has treated you badly and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Options
    NerdyMageeNerdyMagee Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Going through a similar thing myself; got to know each other for ages, had an amazing relationship for a month, then her ex came back and it all crumbled and she's back with him and I'm feeling stupid for falling so hard.

It is horrible and I do hope you'll be okay.
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    NerdyMagee wrote: »
    Going through a similar thing myself; got to know each other for ages, had an amazing relationship for a month, then her ex came back and it all crumbled and she's back with him and I'm feeling stupid for falling so hard.

It is horrible and I do hope you'll be okay.

It's such a rubbish thing to do to anyone.

I don't get why people who are still hung up on their ex can't just stay single.

Why do they have to date others and mess them about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I have been there myself in the past and it's so hurtful. You know those horrible signs that they are being distant. Good for you for cutting off communication. Give it time and get out there with your friends. Don't dwell on him.