New Car Tax Law

abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
Forum Member
✭✭
Am I correct in saying that as of tomorrow I can remove (and shred) my current car tax disc.

Comments

• miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that as of tomorrow I can remove (and shred) my current car tax disc.

Indeed you are. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Yep, it's going to be so weird destroying it.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    YEP you can just rip it up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can and here is the gov website info.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to seeing how many people carry on driving round with it on the screen.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    But people must also remember when buying a second hand car that is showing a tax disc that the car is not taxed, as the tax cannot be sold on
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can. Unfortunately I have a parking ticket holder above mine so don't actually gain anything from removing it. I might just leave it there for posterity :D
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm considering going to the bank today and requesting a loan to set up a business making custom tax disk holders, just to mess with their heads.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing how many people carry on driving round with it on the screen.

I will be one of those people -- to strip your windscreen naked is just so undignified! ;-)
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    I will be one of those people -- to strip your windscreen naked is just so undignified! ;-)

I'm not keen on the idea myself....

Direct debit will be better though, spread the cost and all that👍🏧⛄️👻
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Yes, you can. Unfortunately I have a parking ticket holder above mine so don't actually gain anything from removing it. I might just leave it there for posterity :D
    I'm keeping my disc, just to wind people up. Not everyone knows about the new law :D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So for people like you I have to put a note saying I know its not needed but I like it there.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm going to keep mine there even when it expires. Call me a traditionalist but it just wouldn't feel right driving a car without a tax disc in the window.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    So for people like you I have to put a note saying I know its not needed but I like it there.

You can if you like. I'm not that bothered to be honest.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm going to keep mine there even when it expires. Call me a traditionalist but it just wouldn't feel right driving a car without a tax disc in the window.

Agreed..
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I totally agree - I actually thought that is was against the law to keep the tax disc displayed in the window :blush: - but I gather from everyones comments it isn't, so I won't be shredding mine as originally implied. I will be keeping it in pride of place on my windscreen
  • chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a chrome tax disc holder so now have no use for it at all. Maybe I should use it as a photo frame and put pictures of cats in it.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its going to be lovely not having to have one or two big amounts to find
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A monthly Direct Debit will be a good idea as long as it doesn't cost more. Just like a TV licence it will just automatically renew without you having to remember to do anything. My road tax is always due at the end of the year so it's always a pain having to pull out a lump sum then.

Of course the government could make some money out of this from people who sell their car but forget to cancel the direct debit.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be illegal to display a really crude drawing of a tax disc, like I was a rubbish counterfeiter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Would it be illegal to display a really crude drawing of a tax disc, like I was a rubbish counterfeiter?

Just write a message "tax disc is in the email".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A monthly Direct Debit will be a good idea as long as it doesn't cost more. Just like a TV licence it will just automatically renew without you having to remember to do anything. My road tax is always due at the end of the year so it's always a pain having to pull out a lump sum then.

Of course the government could make some money out of this from people who sell their car but forget to cancel the direct debit.

As I understand it, when you sell you can only get a refund up to the full month before the month you sell the car in, but the new owner has to buy tax from the start of that month. so effectively the gubbermint get a month's extra tax for every second hand car sale from this point on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of at least 2 people, including my ex lodger, who got reported by the public for not having a up todate tax disc, so how many will now get away with it, as the public have no way of knowing... Losing the goverment even more money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I know of at least 2 people, including my ex lodger, who got reported by the public for not having a up todate tax disc, so how many will now get away with it, as the public have no way of knowing... Losing the goverment even more money.

Its all done by computer database now. If the DVLA say you own car X, then you need to pay tax on it. If none is received, then fines and court orders get posted out.

The only downside really is that patrol coppers would spot an out-of-date disc and often it would lead to the discovery of other crimes, but even now that aspect is partially covered by in-car ANPR and roadside cameras/checkpoints.
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm leaving my car tax disc where it is as I don't want to get rid of it...

and so people can continually tell me that I don't need it!