Options

Computer won't work!!!

HELP!!!!..

Have moved my PC downstairs so the family can all use it, have got a wireless keyboard and mouse with this.

Set it all up and it worked fine put new batteries in the keyboard and mouse, it all worked.
I then went to install the internet on the PC, having done this the PC then rebooted to allow it to go wireless...

This is where the problems start, when the PC came back on the screen comes up saying password but for some reason the mouse and keyboard don't work, yet the mouse & keyboard are both connected via the receiver as the green light is showing.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is??, I don't fancy paying a £30 call out fee to my local PC repair place..

Thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Obvious suggestions first: try different batteries and go through the connection procedure (pressing the connect buttons) a few times.

You can also try connecting the wireless receiver into a different USB socket (try a few if you need to).

And if you've just installed a wireless USB adapter, try unplugging it and see if that brings back the keyboard and mouse.

If you have another keyboard handy (preferably a PS2 one) give that a try. Once you manage to boot into Windows, you may find the wireless ones will spring back into life.
  • Options
    tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    Obvious suggestions first: try different batteries and go through the connection procedure (pressing the connect buttons) a few times.

You can also try connecting the wireless receiver into a different USB socket (try a few if you need to).

And if you've just installed a wireless USB adapter, try unplugging it and see if that brings back the keyboard and mouse.

If you have another keyboard handy (preferably a PS2 one) give that a try. Once you manage to boot into Windows, you may find the wireless ones will spring back into life.

Thanks max99
    I did all the above but still nothing happned, looks like I will have to call someone out...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Using a different keyboard or mouse didn't work either?

In that case, try and boot into Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 on the keyboard as soon as you switch the machine on). Choose Safe Mode from the menu and see if you can enter your password when the login screen appears. If there's an administrator account, try clicking on that as it won't have a password by default. If Windows starts up, use System Restore to go back a couple of days.
  • Options
    tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    On the wireless keyboard there is a ps2 connector, so I used that and removed the usb one, this allowed me into windows, the keyboard worked but sadly the mouse didn't.

Without the mouse I am unable to get into system restore.

Thanks for your help max99 xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bumping stuck post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You should be able to run System Restore using just the keyboard.

Press the Windows Key and R at the same time.

Type in the following and press Enter:

For XP, type: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

For Vista/Windows 7 type: rstrui

System Restore will run and you can use the cursor and Tab key to move to different options and enter or space to select.

However, it might just be an issue with the wireless keyboard/mouse, so System Restore will not make any difference. Give it a try through, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling with this one. The OP says simply that when they boot up "it says password". What says password? Is this the Windows logon password or the connection to the Internet (and if the latter is this done by a router, modem or what?

If it's the Windows password then it is possible that the keyboard and mouse will not work at that stage, in which case an other keyboard/mouse (plugged in type) might work. However the OP has not reported back with any details as to what happened when (if) they tried this. I'm also struggling to work out why they had to "install" the Intenet - I'm assuming it wasn't used for Internet before it was moved? In any event, it's difficult therefore to diagnose the problem on the infoormation provided. Sounds like the PC repair place is going to get some business. :D
  • Options
    MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there not an "association" or "connect" button on the keyboard or mouse?
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be that you are using too many wireless connections? I don't know if a wireless keyboard & mouse use similar frequencies, but if you could get hold of a ps2 mouse, try changing the channel number of your wireless router.

Rather than paying £30 for someone to come & look at it, I would be tempted to spend about £12 on a new wired keyboard & mouse.