Options

Worst Sitcoms of All Time

Comments

• Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    I loved 2.4 children, agreed it should have ended when Jenny left for University, I presume that's when they fostered/adopted that child from My Parents are Aliens.

It was surreal and dark at times, especially the storyline about the biker, who helped Bill drive, and he was killed, and Bill found out by watching the news, his spirit visited David when he was seriously ill in hospital, and the whole 'Don't go MIA'

There were some moving aspects to it, when it was revealed that Tina's husband has been having an affair, and when Bill visits one of David's friends and sees the squalor that the child was living in.

Also, it was really funny with the Christmas specials, and the Blues Brothers episode and when they were being influenced by a chocolate bar they were asked to trial.

I thought it was great!, and there are far more worse sitcoms, like Teenage Kicks (which looked like something out of the '70s, with the 'funny' exchange student with his 'funny' accent)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the worst are the one's that don't make you laugh. In that case, I go for friends, Abfab & Bread.
  • Options
    legomattylegomatty Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I'd plump for any thing written by the appaling Carla Lane Someone who should never have been allowed to have a pen & paper. :D
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    That one where Jasper Carrott played the lead role, can't remember its name. Talk about trying to a fill a quota. There's such a thing as being too politically correct.

That'll be 'All About Me' - there's PC and there's taking it to a point where the programme becomes one long advertisement for it - in place of jokes, decent characters and an actual plotline.

I'd also mention The Green Green Grass, After You've Gone and any comedy programme which Amanda Holden has attempted - Kiss Me Kate, Mad About Alice, etc.

Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps and My Family - presumably on their 97th series by now.
  • Options
    I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Martacus wrote: »
    Surely the worst are the one's that don't make you laugh. In that case, I go for friends, Abfab & Bread.

This was terrible, wasn't it.
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't really count the ones that only lasted one series, it was obviously for a reason. I like my comedy a bit surreal (Nightingales, Father Ted etc), so anything which gets the response 'but it's SOO true to life' really gets my goat up.

These make/made me rage:
    Butterflies
    My Family
    Duty Free
    Friends
    Desmonds

Also Porridge but for a different reason. It always makes me mad when I see criminals been made to look funny/clever/acceptable, they should rot perpetual terror as far as I'm concerned, hence my dislike for Hustle/Minder/Only Fools and Horses. Yes and Bread, thanks for the reminder.

And whilst I'm on OFAH, anything with londoners in it, such as that horrible thing with Pauline Quirke in, can't remember it's name.

Vent over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    My Family
    Gavin and Stacey
    2 Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Early Doors
    Fawlty Towers
    Only Fools & Horses
    Royle Family
    Good Life
    Phoenix Nights
    Porridge
    Open all Hours
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    ...and first two series of Bread
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piglet Files - actually anything with Nicolas Lyndhurst not related to Only Fools and Horses pretty well sucks.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Hardware

This was hilarious:D
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last of the Summer Wine
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sickparrot wrote: »

Also Porridge but for a different reason. It always makes me mad when I see criminals been made to look funny/clever/acceptable, they should rot perpetual terror as far as I'm concerned, hence my dislike for Hustle/Minder/Only Fools and Horses. Yes and Bread, thanks for the reminder.

You wouldn't be too keen on any version of Robin Hood then??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last of the Summer Wine

How very very DARE you!!!!!
  • Options
    TheWayItIsTheWayItIs Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    How very very DARE you!!!!!

Howard and Marina are the longest running "joke" in sit-com history.
    Dreadful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Howard and Marina are the longest running "joke" in sit-com history.
    Dreadful!

Well I like LOTSW and no-one is going to persuade me not to :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Eyes down
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    That one that was on last year sometime with Caroline Quentin in it playing the mother/stepmother of the family. Can't even remember what it was called but omg, it was bad!
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Hancock's 'Holding The Baby'
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    on the buses was so bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What was wrong with Desmonds? I loved that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    What does make a good or bad sitcom?

Your sense of humour?
    Your social aspirations?
    What your mates say is funny?

Humour is such an individual aspect of humanity that saying what is the best or worst joke, sitcom, speech, or whatever, is completely irrelevant.

I like On the Buses, & Curb your Enthusiasm....anyone else put their hand up to that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry wrote: »
    The Upper Hand (Terrible Whos the Boss remake)

I loved the Upper Hand when I was younger and hated Who's The Boss when I saw it years ago on Paramount. I think The Upper Hand cast were far more charasmatic and natural than the Who's The Boss actors. The only bad thing about The Upper Hand is how badly it's dated. It looks dreadful watching it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starsburn wrote: »
    I loved the Upper Hand when I was younger and hated Who's The Boss when I saw it years ago on Paramount. I think The Upper Hand cast were far more charasmatic and natural than the Who's The Boss actors. The only bad thing about The Upper Hand is how badly it's dated. It looks dreadful watching it now.

It's been released on DVD, and just looking at the cover of the DVD, it does look terribly dated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    starsburn wrote: »

I loved the Upper Hand because I fancied the pants off Caroline Weston.