Regional telly legends

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Next year will mark Fred Dinenage,s 50th year in television and unbelievably he has still not been made a Sir so what better time to give him a knighthood what a legend IMO

Do you think Dineage should host Countdown he'd be perfect IMO

The recently deceased Derek Batey did such a lot for Border TV he was there at its inception in 1961 and stayed there until he retired in 1988

he even spent his last ten years in television sitting on the company,s board as well as fronting his quiz Mr And Mrs

Mike Neville was a legend in North East England excellent newsreader now sadly retired

Richard Whiteley was also brilliant and still very much missed

for the first 13 years of Countdown,s run he continued to front the local news on Yorkshire TV as well as the national job hence Twice Nightly Whiteley

Bob Warman from Central is to TV news in the Midlands what Ken Barlow is to Corrie

Shaw Taylor was the original real life TV crime buster always reminding us at the end of each Police 5 to

"Keep em' Peeled"

Comments

• LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Fred when I lived in the south, I didn't think he was still alive.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike Morris, god rest him. Harry Gration. Peter Levy. Christa Ackroyd. Not to mention the legend who is Paul the Weatherman.

Yorkshire's finest!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shocks me to think that the legendary Harry Gration will be 63 this year always thought he was a lot older given how long he,s been with BBC North
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Mike Neville, a legend on BBC Look North and Tyne Tees for 45 years.
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen McDermott (Anglia) Paul Lavers (Anglia)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err, Peter, err, Levy?
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the closest thing we had to a local news legend in London and the South East was Rob Curling - who did London Plus and Newsroom South East for years.

Other mainstays were the late Andrew Gardner on Thames News, Anna Maria Ashe on LWT News and Alastair Stewart on London Tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »

Helen interviewed my son when he was 10 and told him he was gorgeous, he was over the moon that someone so famous liked him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Anthony (Anglia) of Patrick's Pantry fame. First famous person I ever met(!)

I worked with Paul Lavers at Ideal World TV but my memory of him is the way he promoted Prisoner Cell Block H on Anglia and his rivalry with Victor Lewis Smith when he was on QVC.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Coyne, BBC Birmingham

Hugh Scully,Angela Rippon, Jill Dando BBC Plymouth

Bruce Parker, BBC Southampton

Keith Macklin,Stuart Hall BBC Manchester

John Toye of STV who killed himself after he was sacked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    Helen interviewed my son when he was 10 and told him he was gorgeous, he was over the moon that someone so famous liked him.

Lucky Lad ! :) B.C. anywhere to be seen ?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »

Three cheers for Mr Midnight

2 mins 55 sec in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSIJZ9p6Jfc

How about Patrick Anthony as a another Anglia TV legend??
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC non national news programmes, and worse still ITV's, super suck. Just because you see someone reading an autocue every day or talking to locals in the High Street or being up for a laugh (again) doesn't make that person a legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBC non national news programmes, and worse still ITV's, super suck. Just because you see someone reading an autocue every day or talking to locals in the High Street or being up for a laugh (again) doesn't make that person a legend.

As far as ITV goes I think people are harking back to the days when the ITV regions were genuinely regional rather than just a franchise of a national company
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anglia / Thames / Southern etc, were never autocue, and the presenters were 'real' people with a personality, something that has been dumped by both the 'new' ITV and the BBC
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Glen Michael...a God of children's shows in Scotland
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Jackie Bird - BBC Scotland ;)
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Birmingham's Nick Owen, or does his time with TVAM & Good Morning With Anne & Nick disqualify him?

(He did start his broadcasting career at the old Radio Birmingham, before going to ATV/Central!)
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    John Toye of STV who killed himself after he was sacked

John Toye was my first thought. I hadn;t realised he had killed himself, I hadn't actually realised he was dead. But he killed himself over 20 years ago now. :eek:

The other I thought of was his 'rival' on BBC Scotland, Mary Marquis, who seems to be very much still alive.
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Philip Elsmore, the face of Thames Television for me although probably not seen outside of the Thames region.

Jack Hargreaves, is a name and face I always associate with Southern Television.

Finally, the Westward's greatest star: Gus Honeybun!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coriakin wrote: »
    Philip Elsmore, the face of Thames Television for me although probably not seen outside of the Thames region.

Jack Hargreaves, is a name and face I always associate with Southern Television.

Finally, the Westward's greatest star: Gus Honeybun!

Jack Hargreaves is generally thought to be the inspiration for the Fast Show character of Bob Fleming
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Don't forget Mike Neville, a legend on BBC Look North and Tyne Tees for 45 years.
    The OP didn't :D

I'll also add Bill Steele to the regional news legends.

Also Sid Waddell although he didn't do that much in the NE AFAIK but did stuff in Yorkshire and then nationwide with the darts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Jack Hargreaves is generally thought to be the inspiration for the Fast Show character of Bob Fleming

Good call:D
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Meacock (Granada)

Also from Granada, Fred Talbot :o
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    BBC Birmingham's Nick Owen, or does his time with TVAM & Good Morning With Anne & Nick disqualify him?

(He did start his broadcasting career at the old Radio Birmingham, before going to ATV/Central!)

Nick Owen for news is on the same level as Shipmans care for the elderly.