Options

Wifes Phone thinks its in Caracas, Venezuela!! not Hampshire

jeffkey1jeffkey1 Posts: 385
Forum Member
My Wife's Phone thinks its in Caracas, Venezuela. (Which its not and never has been).

Its a Galaxy S3 running Stock 4.3 on T-Mobile

When in doors, with no GPS, all of the apps that use location services, like BBC Weather, Google Maps, Google+, Facebook etc says she is in Caracas. So I don't think its a specific app.

If we go outside and get a GPS signal and force an app to refresh it does switch back to our current location ok.

Location Services is set to GPS, Wifi and High accuracy.

Now if she goes back in doors it changes back to Caracas.

I Have tried power cycling the phone but it made no difference.

Could this be a Cache problem for one of the services running. If so which one?

Jeff.

Comments

• Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen a similar issue on my old Galaxy Nexus, and I'm afraid to say I never did get to the bottom of it. The problem just "went away" one day. Even after doing a factory reset it was doing it. Very puzzling. Sorry I can't be more help, it is a frustrating issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok thanks for looking.

On a similar note I sometimes get reported as being in a different Town/shopping centre to the one I'm really in.

This happens in Basingstoke.

I think this is because the phone is using wifi hotspots to map my location when there is no GPS and one of the shops must have had its wifi hardware swapped out from another town.

If you stand in a certain spot in the indoor shopping centre in Basingstoke you can briefly be reported as being in Hindhead. More a few meters up the street and you are back in Basingstoke.

All without a Tardis....
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friends HTC Desire always used to think it was in Australia. Its probably an android feature with wifi assisted location detection ;-)

Maybe change your WIFI SSID to see if it makes a difference.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    My friends HTC Desire always used to think it was in Australia. Its probably an android feature with wifi assisted location detection ;-)

Maybe change your WIFI SSID to see if it makes a difference.

Almost certainly due to Google's wifi location service thinking that your router is in Caracas. Possible SSID duplication... try changing it as suggested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ok I will give it go, but my only doubt is that my and my daughters phone seems happy. They both now where they are.,
  • Options
    LadFromWales85LadFromWales85 Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    It could be that someone locally to you is on holiday and has taken their router or has moved!
    There is a link on the map to report the issue to google. Involves telling them MAC addresses of WiFi you can see when the location issue is occurring.
    Then they fix it, hopefully :)

My phones all thought they were in northern England somewhere when wifi was on, doing the above sorted it.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm on 3G at work my phone seems to think I'm in Mexico every so often. That's with location settings set to use mobile network and wifi to get my location.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That phone should get out more if it mistakes the two.
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesnt Geolocation by Wi-fi work using the access points MAC Address and not the SSID?

I'm sure i found a service where you could "add" your router to a database which is used for this very kind of geolocation, and it asked for your Wi-fi MAC Address.

What also makes me think it is not purely SSID based is that I have used three different different Wi-Fi routers, all with the exact same SSID, but for a certain time after switching to a new router wi-fi geolocation would not be as accurate (until such time as you add your MAC to the service mentioned above, and it propgates through the system).