Options

Failed my driving test

TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
Forum Member
✭✭
What an awful feeling!

8 minors and 1 serious. The serious being I didn't indicate when turning right at the roundabout.

Seriously annoyed at myself :/

Comments

• Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no sorry :(

Was it nerves or do you think you were not quite ready?

Maybe try a different driving instructor - they vary so much and you will get used to having different people in the car with you. Ask your instructor to do some mock tests with you and see if you can pass them.

Plenty of people fail this test - just brush yourself off and try again :)
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I failed 4 times, once with one serious for wrong lane at a roundabout. Keep at it, you will pass :)
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry about it!!! I had 100's of lessons...and I mean 100's over a number of years!! During that time I got through 8 different instructors!! I took my test and failed. I was so clsoe to giving up, I had just had enough. I decided to fork out money for an intensive course 9 - 5pm Monday to Friday for a week which guaranteed you passed. Well, at the end of the week...I only went and failed!! Luckily though, the instructor I had on that course I loved and so I continued having lessons with her privately...took my test another two times with her and failed. The following time I passed and let me tell you, both me and the instructor were jumping about like ti was xmas. The examiner didn't know where to look!! It's unlikely you'll be as bad as me...so just don't worry! Honestly, it was the hardest thing I've ever done and I still can't believe I even passed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, feeling a little better now.

I was a little bit nervous but not too much, i just had a mind blank at the roundabout and as soon i made the turn i knew i had failed :(

Today was also the day that bay parking was introduced and i did it perfectly. The guy who did it before me was struggling as he kept parking between two bays, he then left the car and abandoned the test.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry, I failed mine twice. Just learn from the experience and get back on that horse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry about it!!! I had 100's of lessons...and I mean 100's over a number of years!! During that time I got through 8 different instructors!! I took my test and failed. I was so clsoe to giving up, I had just had enough. I decided to fork out money for an intensive course 9 - 5pm Monday to Friday for a week which guaranteed you passed. Well, at the end of the week...I only went and failed!! Luckily though, the instructor I had on that course I loved and so I continued having lessons with her privately...took my test another two times with her and failed. The following time I passed and let me tell you, both me and the instructor were jumping about like ti was xmas. The examiner didn't know where to look!! It's unlikely you'll be as bad as me...so just don't worry! Honestly, it was the hardest thing I've ever done and I still can't believe I even passed!

Well done for not giving up, i think i would have. I'm booking mine again for November :)
    Any advice on which would be a better time, 8:10am or 9:07?
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Well done for not giving up, i think i would have. I'm booking mine again for November :)

8.10 is slap bang in rush hour so I'd plump for 9.07.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I passed on my third test.

Those times are really not much different and won't make any difference to passing or not.

I think you are just feeling a bit let down and wondering if you make the right decisions for your next test. You'll feel better by tomorrow and realise that making your own decisions will boost your confidence and that is what is needed to pass a test.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I failed mine with no majors and a load of minors.

A lot of my minors were apparently because I used the gears really badly. Normally I wouldn't do this, but on certain roads I got so obsessed with irrelevant tiny things that I completely forgot about my gears and cruised along in second gear for ages for some reason. I did the same thing on another road and I have absolutely no recollection of it. I have no idea why I did any of this.

The rest of my minors were mainly due to hesitancy.

One of them was completely my driving instructor's fault. He taught me that to do an emergency stop you just brake as hard as you possibly can and put the clutch in.
    I did this and got a minor for it because it's wrong. Apparently you have to emergency stop in a more "controlled manner" (whatever that means) and pretend that ABS is off.
    So now I don't know how you do an emergency stop...

Failing my test was an awful experience, but so was the week leading up to it which I found many times more stressful than doing my A-levels.
    I just gave up. I hate driving. It does nothing but stress me out.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    What an awful feeling!

8 minors and 1 serious. The serious being I didn't indicate when turning right at the roundabout.

Seriously annoyed at myself :/

Bad luck, OP. You will get there though, don't beat yourself up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I failed mine with no majors and a load of minors.

A lot of my minors were apparently because I used the gears really badly. Normally I wouldn't do this, but on certain roads I got so obsessed with irrelevant tiny things that I completely forgot about my gears and cruised along in second gear for ages for some reason. I did the same thing on another road and I have absolutely no recollection of it. I have no idea why I did any of this.

The rest of my minors were mainly due to hesitancy.

One of them was completely my driving instructor's fault. He taught me that to do an emergency stop you just brake as hard as you possibly can and put the clutch in.
    I did this and got a minor for it because it's wrong.
    Apparently you have to emergency stop in a more "controlled manner" (whatever that means) and pretend that ABS is off.
    So now I don't know how you do an emergency stop...

Failing my test was an awful experience, but so was the week leading up to it which I found many times more stressful than doing my A-levels.
    I just gave up. I hate driving. It does nothing but stress me out.

:confused: I also thought that was the correct way. It's what I did on my test and passed too.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :confused: I also thought that was the correct way. It's what I did on my test and passed too.

My instructor did tell me that he'd never seen anyone get a minor for the emergency stop for the same reason as me in all his career, but for all I know that could be because nobody mentioned it to him.

The examiner told me "You need to brake in a more controlled manner. If ABS had been switched off, you'd have skidded" which is fair enough, but I don't really know how you can emergency brake in a "controlled manner" because no-one told me. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My instructor did tell me that he'd never seen anyone get a minor for the emergency stop for the same reason as me in all his career, but for all I know that could be because nobody mentioned it to him.

Maybe, but I would like to know what examiner's correct version is though.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't worry about the time of the test. If you have it early in the morning at say 8:30am then you'll just be stuck in traffic for most of the test...which should make it easier! If you have it at say 11am then the roads should be quite clear meaning few cars and fewer obstacles for you! I don't think the time of the test really matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    This may be a contentious issue, and is not directed specifically at anyone in this thread, but I feel there should be a limit to the number of times a person can fail their test. Say five attempts and then you're banned from taking it again for 10 years. If you can't pass after five attempts then you shouldn't be driving, and the roads would be a safer place.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be a contentious issue, and is not directed specifically at anyone in this thread, but I feel there should be a limit to the number of times a person can fail their test. Say five attempts and then you're banned from taking it again for 10 years. If you can't pass after five attempts then you shouldn't be driving, and the roads would be a safer place.

is there any evidence at all that people who take more than five tests to pass are more dangerous drivers? :cool:
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

.......give 'em 50 lashes and and a couple of years in jail as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    is there any evidence at all that people who take more than five tests to pass are more dangerous drivers? :cool:
    Common sense? They've already failed at least five times.
    bri160356 wrote: »
    .......give 'em 50 lashes and and a couple of years in jail as well.
    So you're perfectly happy with a totally inept driver who's failed 10 times, but gets lucky and passes on their 11th attempt to be on the road?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you're perfectly happy with a totally inept driver who's failed 10 times, but gets lucky and passes on their 11th attempt to be on the road?
    You can't distinguish between being lucky and actually knowing how to drive, you could be lucky on your first attempt and pass.

With some people they may be very nervous in learning and taking the test but it doesn't mean they won't improve.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

common sense, well that would say that they wouldn't be arrogant drivers burning about at 50mph in a 30 texting their mates?? :p
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back a few years but I passed mine with something like 14 minors, a lot of them for not indicating properly when exiting roundabouts. I think I got lucky that every time it happened there was no one else around. She probably could have failed me if she wanted.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Maybe, but I would like to know what examiner's correct version is though.

I think you've to hit the brake first and then the clutch and not do them at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back a few years but I passed mine with something like 14 minors, a lot of them for not indicating properly when exiting roundabouts. I think I got lucky that every time it happened there was no one else around. She probably could have failed me if she wanted.

Yeah I guess sometimes luck comes into it, the roundabout was not that busy but I can't really remember clearly.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

If someone passed on their 11th attempt I wouldn’t exactly call them lucky!.:o...........and they wouldn't be inept.

They will have presumably shown themselves to be competent enough to achieve a 'pass'.

No more, or less, than someone who passes 1st time. Previous failures have no bearing whatsoever.

You're a hard man, Greg.;-)
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

I think that is a bit harsh but frankly when I read some of these stories about multiple failures I do wonder If some people should take the hint.