Peter Fincham needs to go

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
ITV's head of programming needs to go. ITV has never been in such a mess with flop after flop of one dire load of mind numbing, dumbed down drivel after another. The guy couldn't organise a pi**up in a brewery. What has this channel been lowered to? Viewing figures falling through the floor for practically every programme. One bad decision after another.

Breakfast tv in a mess. Saturday night tv hits rock bottom. Sunday night more dumbed down zelebrity tripe and now Mel & Sue cocking up due to a totally ill thought out format which has afternoon viewers praying for the return of Alan Titmarsh.

How low much of the preverbial barrel have ITV got to scrape before they sack this absolute incompetent idiot?

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fincham has to work within limits imposed by his boss. However it may be that Peter Fincham is wrong for this particular job.

I don't see why the great anger though, unless the OP is a shareholder.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be right, Wizard. I've almost stopped watching ITV. Mel & Sue was a programme I used to watch years ago and was looking forward to their comeback. Just watched an episode and it's awful! Mel & Sue are trying far too hard to be natural. It's not working.
    The entire show looks strained.
    Why do these shows always end up with someone having to cook? I'm fed up with it. :blush:
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Fincham has to work within limits imposed by his boss. However it may be that Peter Fincham is wrong for this particular job.

I don't see why the great anger though, unless the OP is a shareholder.

My anger is the constant dumbing down of tv shows and this never ending conveyor belt of the same z list celebs doing the rounds from one reality tv show to another all star celebrity show. Just the same has-beens and general nobody's and media whoares going round and round and round whilst ITV does their best to spoon feed us their very best in chavy low brow entertainment featuring idiots the likes of Keith Lemon and Joey Essex or some brainless bimbo or Essex based thickie. Just absolute puerile trash tv for people with only one braincell and never ending repeats of the same movies week after week. Back to back Bridget Jones, Harry Potter, James Bond and Back To The Future on a constant loop.

This channel really has hit rock bottom. Good Morning Britain is a shambles. Gossip magazine trash. Presenters who treat their viewers like children and general dumbed down, red top tabloid style journalism. Weekend schedules in tatters with viewing figures falling through the floor with wall to wall puerile z list tripe and shows that treat the viewers like they're idiots.

Fincham needs to go. He's an ex BBC failure who's now managing to make a complete cock up of ITV with the commissioning of one failed tv show after another desperately clutching at straws. The first cock up he made right after being appointed was to axe The Bill. ITV's longest running police serial drama that was still drawing in respectful viewing figures. To this day nobody knows why but despite negative backlash the guy refuses to listen to the public. You only have to look at the latest remake of Stars in Their Eyes and look at the amount of backlash it's received and how poor the viewing figures are as a perfect example but despite nationwide protests over the show and ratings hitting rock bottom they still prefer to keep flogging the dead hourse than listen to public reaction. The guy clearly hasn't a clue and wouldn't know a "winning format" if it jumped up and whacked him in the face.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The occasional drama is their saving grace (Downton, Mr Selfridge, Endeavour) but even they cannot save ITV from this.

I tend to agree with the OP on this and if Peter Fincham is at fault perhaps he should go.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    The occasional drama is their saving grace (Downton, Mr Selfridge, Endeavour) but even they cannot save ITV from this.

I tend to agree with the OP on this and if Peter Fincham is at fault perhaps he should go.

Mr Selfridge isnt pulling in big ratings either
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Fincham was the man who claimed credit for bringing Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley to ITV. Is there any need to say more ?
  • simon_geraldsimon_gerald Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he goes,can he take Helen Warner as well.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I read ITV are on target to make 700 million in the last year.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he goes,can he take Helen Warner as well.

If they go, do they think they could get someone that doesnt worship at the throne of Simon Cowell.

I blame him for these constant brain head programmes. Back in the 80's, ITV had a few of these programmes, but it was also a beacon of great dramas ie Brideshead, Jewel in the Crown. Even on Sat night they had some good quiz shows that seem to have regular public people ie 321. It would seem that these days you either have to have z Listers or those members of the public who would sell their granny for fame.

Who is decided to commission that "Stars in their Eyes", the Sunday night programme with Stephen Mulheard and there was that awful dance competition that ITV thought would go against Strictly, should never be allowed to work in TV again.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in the 80's

jude007: there's your answer. Only three other terrestrial tv channels, no satellite and maybe a film from the local video library competing for peaktime eyeballs. :D
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's just me, but I honestly haven't watched (or recorded) a programme on ITV for about five years. I never even look at the ITV listings any more. Even Ch5 has more of interest (and that's saying something).
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    ITV was awful before Fincham arrived getting rid of him is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, only time i watch ITV is the sport, & now & again they have a good documentary on.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 80's

jude007: there's your answer. Only three other terrestrial tv channels, no satellite and maybe a film from the local video library competing for peaktime eyeballs. :D

Guess your right. I suppose back in those days, ITV was fighting to get the big viewers and that was why it actually managed to produce some good stuff. You just need to look at Corrie back then and look at it now to see how much things have deteriorated.
  • NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Thompson - one of the original ITV franchise holders - described it as "a licence to print money". It still was in the 1980s and the programme budgets reflected that, soon to vanish, reality.

But even if you have unlimited budgets that doesn't mean the "creative juices" will flow. Look at how the most recent Simpsons compare with the early seasons; the decline in quality is an inevitable part of the creative cycle.