Options

Downloading Java update installed Ask toolbar = malware ?

I installed a Java update on my spare XP machine on IE8 (I think). Unfortunately it also installed Ask as my home page and the Ask toolbar as well. If that isn`t bad enough it`s proving difficult to remove, like Malware in fact. I can`t simply remove it using Internet Options and I`ve tried using Add/Remove programmes. Even then it was odd, at one point (during remove programmes) it came up with some message about the fact I didn`t have clearance to remove the Ask updater, I just clicked continue or whatever and it seemed to remove it. Even after removing Ask and Ask updater there was a third Ask programme on the list but cunningly located down the list under "Search App Ask". I have now removed all three but it`s still there. I can get MSN up in IE but it won`t accept any text in the search bar. Even Chrome is the same.
It also had some odd side effects, like I couldn`t switch to my number one W7 machine (using my KVM switch) whilst my number two machine was on.

Has anyone any idea how to get rid of it ?

How come Java have become linked up to such dubious practices ?

Comments

• Options
    Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »

Thanks for that R, but unfortunately I think I`ve got a malware problem. Do I really need Java on my PC ? I`d like to get rid of it, particularly after reading this . know if it`s relevant but the Java update I installed was 31.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Run the free version of Malwarebytes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Run the free version of Malwarebytes.

Do you think I have got a virus/malware problem ? My keyboard seems to have stopped working too !
    I`ve got Avast Pro on my machine will that not find it ?
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you run the removal tool in the first link I posted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roush wrote: »
    Have you run the removal tool in the first link I posted?

I was struggling to get on the net on my XP PC2 machine because the keyboard (linked through the KVM switch) had stopped working. It worked fine with PC1, my W7 machine. It`s all weird. I`ve even uninstalled Java using Revo uninstaller and the keyboard still doesn`t work. Plugging a spare USB keyboard straight into it works though as I`ve just discovered.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    In all the cases I have come across you can just go into add/remove programs and uninstall the toolbar from there.

Personally I would advise against having Java installed unless you have a specific application that you need it for. Particularly on an old XP box its another security vulnerability that could be done without.

With regards to the keyboard, try booting into safe mode and plugging it in then.
  • Options
    BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADW Cleaner should remove it:

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

but do NOT download it from any other source.

You should only download Java from the original source. It is clicking on a pop up or downloading from a third party site that causes these problems.

I have never had a problem with installing Java from the Java or Oracle download centre.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...How come Java have become linked up to such dubious practices ?
    The java update installer has been doing this for as long as I can remember.

You should have been given the option to untick the 2 boxes before installing.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simply rule when downloading any software is to always select custom install rather than recommended option where available and deselect all the crapware eg toolbars etc.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Simply rule when downloading any software is to always select custom install rather than recommended option where available and deselect all the crapware eg toolbars etc.

I agree with the above. I always select custom install whenever possible. I also never just click yes quickly at every next screen.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »

You should have been given the option to untick the 2 boxes before installing.

The option was clearly seen the last time I installed java.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It`s really odd how the keyboard* stopped working when all this problem with the Java download and Ask toolbar happened. It was the fact the keyboard stopped working which made me think I had a malware problem because hardly anything seemed to work, I couldn`t enter any text. Even plugging a spare PS2 keyboard straight into the back of the PC (bypassing the KVM switch) still didn`t work.
    We thought the PS2 mouse had also stopped working (though that may just have been the USB to PS2 adapter falling out !) so we uninstalled the PS2 mouse driver then reinstalled it. We were going to repeat the prev process for the keyboard but didn`t have to because, somewhat surprisingly, not only is the mouse now working but the (PS2) keyboard is as well ! [ We went into control panel, then system, then hardware tab, then device manager, PS2 mouse, then uninstall. Restarting the PC then reinstalled it. ]

It`s a good job we had a spare USB keyboard so we could do all the above because if we didn`t we`d have been up **** creek !

* a PS2 one because my KVM switch has a PS2 keyboard socket, plus I want a keyboard with the shortcuts on the keys !
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »

Yep. It's unbeliveable how much shite can sneak in as selected by default with installs of otherwise reputable software.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »

Indeed. It's about time they stopped, given the criticism they've had.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash is my biggest annoyance, it also sneeks in ask toolbar if you don't spot it, I was hoping that with the lack of support for it on phones and tablets and there increasing use that it would start to die out by now. But it seems to be on the rise in fact, used on more and more websites, many dodgy links saying your flash player is out of date too when there really just a virus carrier..
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    << Yep. It's unbeliveable how much shite can sneak in as selected by default with installs of otherwise reputable software. >>

Wrong I'm afraid. You were not downloading otherwise reputable software. You clicked on offer of malware and installed it. It does look exactly similar to the real adobe download java screen. Don't get shirty about me calling you daft here, because I know this because I did it as well.

When the update request pops up again, notice that it does not say in the heading that it is adobe. X out of it when that happens. Unfortunately it is not strictly a virus so the usual things ignore it. After all, if a screen pops up saying important update of java and it doesn't even say it is from adobe, it should not be clicked on. Strictly speaking it is adware and pops up ads from the side everywhere you go.

I am afraid I can't remember how, using malwarebytes, I removed it, but a good few goes will get it in the end. (in malwarebytes you can choose which things to kill off, otherwise it just does the top few. I did it so often then guessed which one was it, and that did the trick. Perhaps if I had paid for the full version it would have been easier, but it is costly and also an annual recurring cost. Stuff that. But if you don't care about the cost, buy it.) Don't install anything else special because this thing is common and you will just get offered more and more crapware.

Next time if it doesn't say adobe don't do it. You could even have a look at adobe settings but I haven't bothered.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused:
    Adobe has nothing to do with Java !

http://www.oracle.com/uk/java/overview/index.html
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, java comes with some goodies if you do not pay attention. You can remove java instead of updating it. I am aware of only a few applets I would use it for, but even then there are alternatives. Get rid :D
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    << Yep. It's unbeliveable how much shite can sneak in as selected by default with installs of otherwise reputable software. >>

Wrong I'm afraid. You were not downloading otherwise reputable software. You clicked on offer of malware and installed it. It does look exactly similar to the real adobe download java screen. Don't get shirty about me calling you daft here, because I know this because I did it as well.

The people on this thread are talking about unwanted software that comes bundled with reputable programs - whereas you simply fell for a scam. Don't confuse the two.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unchecky works well for me, catches most of these auto ticked crap from installing.
    http://unchecky.com/
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you download the latest version of java you can then more easily goto the control panel applet and disable updating so that it does it when you want it.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    These are available free from Bleeping Computer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
    "AdwCleaner is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer. By using AdwCleaner you can easily remove many of these types of programs for a better user experience on your computer and while browsing the web".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/
    " Junkware Removal Tool is a security utility that searches for and removes common adware, toolbars, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) from your computer. A common tactics among freeware publishers is to offer their products for free, but bundle them with PUPs in order to earn revenue. This tool will help you remove these types of programs.

Junkware Removal Tool has the ability to remove the following types of programs:

Ask Toolbar
    Babylon
    Browser Manager
    Claro / iSearch
    Conduit
    Coupon Printer for Windows
    Crossrider
    Facemoods / Funmoods
    iLivid
    IncrediBar
    MyWebSearch
    Searchqu
    Web Assistant

When run, Junkware Removal Tool will remove all traces of these programs including their files, Registry keys, and folders
    ".
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Both great tools when M'Bytes can't remove the problem. Quite often ADW will fix things but I did have one on a computer not too long ago where it was still there after M'Bytes and ADW.
    JRT found and wiped it.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Indeed. It's about time they stopped, given the criticism they've had.

Agreed. Companies like Adobe and Oracle should not be involved in the murky world of "free toolbars" and the ilk. How about the devote their effort to improving the security of their products, which are common ways in for nasties to PCs?