Sky Broadband Installation

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

my wireless router arrived in this post this morning and my broadband is activated on Friday. Just a couple of basic questions.

1. My main computer is upstairs, and there is no phone socket near it. Do i have to have my main computer plugged directly into the router ?

2. is there any reason, now i have the router the broadband cannot be activated, i assume its just the flick of a switch, is there any point ringing and asking.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. No need for the router to be near the pc, you could use wifi, 'home plugs' or a long ethernet cable. wifi is probably the easiest as a USB wifi dongle is less than £10 from a computer shop.

2. Sometimes broadband will activate early, typically tho the date set is to allow any system configuration and/or exchange setup required. it may be an engineer needs to visit your local exchange to physically connect you to ADSL. so no, no point ringing.

hope this helps :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers for that, i was worried as the telephone point is at the opposite end of the house, but if it does not need to be physically in contact
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for that, i was worried that there needed to be a physical connection to a pc, but if the router does not need it then great.

it says not to connect till the end of the day, does it matter if i try it during the day to see if its on...? or will that really mess things up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    skhwoody wrote: »
    thanks for that, i was worried that there needed to be a physical connection to a pc, but if the router does not need it then great.

it says not to connect till the end of the day, does it matter if i try it during the day to see if its on...? or will that really mess things up.
    Plug it in, won't make a bit of difference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks, just gone live, and seems to be working fine