Prince Charles' letters to ministers

13»

Comments

• batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    "He is also alleged to have remarked that if hunting was banned, he might as well leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing, according to the Guardian."

Linky

What's this I hear? They work so hard? Devoted to their duties? If the quote is true, it's nice to see Chazza himself putting that one to bed. :D
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    What's this I hear? They work so hard? Devoted to their duties? If the quote is true, it's nice to see Chazza himself putting that one to bed. :D
    I for one wish he would leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing. It would be nice if the entire family went with him.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The royals will only allow public scrutiny when it serves the family's interests

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/13/royals-public-scrutiny-prince-charles-letters?CMP=twt_gu
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie despises modernist architecture so that makes him ok in my book. I love the fact that he crapped all over Richard Rogers' vile designs for Chelsea! lol

Why am I not surprised? I doubt he likes any contemporary music either.

Actually, I love to hate Charles. Being a committed Republican, I think he is doing our job for us. I may not be a Monarchist, but I do respect the Queen. If we have to have a non-elected hereditary head of state, then I wish them to keep their opinions to themselves, smile and wave when appropriate, and ask people if they have come far, or what they do for a living.

Charles' is the complete opposite. His opinion is no more valid than mine, but we know what it is on virtually everything - and I disagree with him on virtually everything. I detest his views on architecture - his Poundbury theme park is the most hideous carbuncle I've ever seen.

The man is a complete and total arse. The Monarchy's popularity will sink when he finally gets his chance, which will be the most positive contribution he'll ever have made. Absolutely should his letters be published. If it compromises his future position then tough. He should have thought of that before trying to stick his unelected nose into the democratic process.
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    I for one wish he would leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing. It would be nice if the entire family went with him.

But then we'd have Fred West's corpse as our head of state and the tourists would stop coming. :cry:
    Forum Member
    The royals will only allow public scrutiny when it serves the family's interests

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/13/royals-public-scrutiny-prince-charles-letters?CMP=twt_gu

Spot on.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "He is also alleged to have remarked that if hunting was banned, he might as well leave the country and spend the rest of his life skiing, according to the Guardian."

Linky

Alleged being the key word in that sentence.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe in democracy and full transparency in the process of implementing it,so I believe knowing about anyone in a position of power trying to influence policy is in the public interest. However if the letters are about private matters such as how he enjoyed dinner with the PM or how he is enjoying his marriage to Camilla then of course they should remain private!
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    The idea is that they're supposed to be politically neutral. So by publishing these letters aren't we setting a precedent now that this can no longer be the case for the royal family, and they're allowed an opinion now?

I think the concern is that by publishing them, we'll all know (as opposed to merely suspecting) that he's a meddling loon and this will damage what little credibility the monarchy has left.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well to be quite honest what he wrote is very true in so many cases, so for all we know it was true of her .

Personally I don't see a problem with anyone writing to a Minister or MP, we are all entitled and to voice an opinion on a particular scheme does not to my mind have to mean you are not politically neutral, for instance an opinion on the Chelsea Barracks scheme was very much in line with what most people thought, it was a local and visual environment issue about a development , that's hardly the same as political interference.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps we should publish ALL letters to ministers after a year, it'll probably be hilarious reading letters from some of the nutters in this country which will probably include asking for badgers to get the vote etc.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Well to be quite honest what he wrote is very true in so many cases, so for all we know it was true of her .

Personally I don't see a problem with anyone writing to a Minister or MP, we are all entitled and to voice an opinion on a particular scheme does not to my mind have to mean you are not politically neutral, for instance an opinion on the Chelsea Barracks scheme was very much in line with what most people thought, it was a local and visual environment issue about a development , that's hardly the same as political interference.

No, he pressured the mayor, the council and the business's owners by using personal connections. He interfered in and attempted to subvert the planning process. It was absolutely political interference. A head of state is supposed to be politically neutral. As trevgo says, he might be a boon to republicanism.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    ... it looks like they could be published now after being previously blocked. Would you want to be able to read them?

He's supposed to be politically neutral so it could be interesting to know what his view is.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/prince-charles-letters-to-ministers-should-be-published-judges-rule-9186898.html

http://www.thelawyer.com/news/practice-areas/litigation-news/dinah-rose-qc-wins-prince-charles-spider-letter-case-for-guardian-journalist/3017508.article

I totally don't care. There are far more important things to be watching politically right now and even those things have me yawning.

I think Charles and Putin should meet up and share their tips on self-importance.
    Forum Member
    Alleged being the key word in that sentence.

That's right. That's why I said 'if the quote is true'.
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »

It might well be true of her - the point is it's definitely true of him. He occupies his position because he was born. If he's so keen on people achieving things on merit perhaps he'd like to step down, give his enormous wealth away to charity and test himself in the real world. If not, he should have enough self-awareness to zip it on subjects that expose him to ridicule. What next, advice on how to live on a tight budget or a lecture on the importance of sexual fidelity? :D