Dryathlon

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
Saw this ad on telly.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/find-an-event/charity-challenges/dryathlon

Are/would you go dry for January and if so would it be for charity or just for yourself.

I usually calm down in January because December has been a heavy month, less money because of the previous month and not many others go out.

No plans on going dry though.

Comments

• butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's come to something when laying off the drink for a month has come to be seen as some feat of human endurance...
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to give up drinking for a bit, do it when you want to, not because a charity is telling you to... These 'themed' months are getting way too common now anyway!

I wonder how much Cancer Research has spend on radio, TV and billboards promoting this?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No point as I never have had so much as a drop of alcohol in my life anyway
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I don't drink a huge amount, but as a close family member is undergoing chemo following a recent diagnosis of NHL, I signed up to Dryathlon for Cancer Research. I couldn't give a shit whether people think it's a publicity stunt. I want to show my support for my relative.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am doing it but for myself, not for charity. I can't see what harm it can do, and might have some benefit as I do drink too much through the week.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing it for myself, although I might donate a bit for the cause as a gesture.

I drink a bit too much and I'm on Champix and giving up the **** day after tomorrow.

Not a good idea to drink when I'm off the cigs anyway.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did it last year. Raised around £200 in sponsorship and lost a few pounds in weight. It was a lot easier to do than I expected.

Not doing it officially this year but still planning on cutting down on the drinking as part of a New Year detox.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No point as I never have had so much as a drop of alcohol in my life anyway

I bet you have through food :p
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I bet you have through food :p

I always check the ingredients and don't eat/buy it if it has any alcohol in it.

I almost did a few months ago when I bought something that had changed it's ingredients and I didn't notice until I got home so I ended up throwing it away.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always check the ingredients and don't eat/buy it if it has any alcohol in it.

I almost did a few months ago when I bought something that had changed it's ingredients and I didn't notice until I got home so I ended up throwing it away.

What do you think would happen to you if you accidentally consumed a few drops of ethanol in food?

Besides some foods such as fruit have trace levels of ethanol due to natural fermentation of sugars.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Besides some foods such as fruit have trace levels of ethanol due to natural fermentation of sugars.

Yes it's close to impossible to avoid taking in "as much as a drop" of alcohol in your life. What James should have said is he has never had an alcoholic drink nor (deliberately) consumed food that has alcohol deliberately added.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Cancer Research has hijacked Alcohol Concern's campaign?

That leaves a nasty taste in the mouth. Like the morning after a heavy session I suppose.

What is it with big Cancer charities and hijacking other campaigns? We saw McMillan do that in the summer with the Motor Neuron Ice Bucket challenge. It doesn't feel right to me. I know you can give to the 'official' Alcohol Concern charity rather than the interloping Cancer Research if you want, or visa versa. But it seems rather uncharitable to try to take money from another (smaller) charity.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to do a Pisstorathon.

Get legless & shoot my load in as many toilets as I can.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »

Public toilets? :o:o:o:o:o:o

Careful you don't wind up on the sex offenders register.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really drink alcohol so there's no point in me taking part
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think about doing it, but I have a few social events where I'd like to be able to enjoy a drink at in January (wedding & birthdays)

I've decided I'm not drinking at any other times this month though other than those 3 events... so not a Dry January but a Dry-ish one.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Saw this ad on telly.
    http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/support-us/find-an-event/charity-challenges/dryathlon

Are/would you go dry for January and if so would it be for charity or just for yourself.

I usually calm down in January because December has been a heavy month, less money because of the previous month and not many others go out.

No plans on going dry though.

Given that MacMillan Cancer Support ran a near-identical campaign only 3 months ago I think it's pretty naff that CRUK haven't bothered to come up with anything more original :(
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that MacMillan Cancer Support ran a near-identical campaign only 3 months ago I think it's pretty naff that CRUK haven't bothered to come up with anything more original :(

Well, it's actually an Alcohol Concern idea anyway. IIRC, they did it last year too.

https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/

Cancer Research UK did give it a funky name though.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    I think it's come to something when laying off the drink for a month has come to be seen as some feat of human endurance...

Yeah, I was thinking the same.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and there was me thinking it was a heroic new sex olympics event without lubrication
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem, Here hold my beer.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you cant go a month without a drink of the alcoholic variety then you have a real problem
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »

WTF?!? :o
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who never drink alcohol, still get cancer.
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much they have spent on this campaign adverts everywhere for it. Fear not come October they will telling girls to get lashed up and have a girls night in.