Barry Roux V Gerry Nel???

bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
Forum Member
✭✭
In the Oscar Pistorius trial we seen two advocates fight their corner.

Gerry Nel for the state and Barry Roux for the defence.

With South Africa being a fledgling Democracy and much corruption still, has this trial been a fair one?

I seen comments in the UK saying Nel was too OTT and it would not be the way in UK courts, but is that easy to say if one does not practise in SA?

How do you think both Roux and Nel would fair in the UK?

And who do you think will do better in the appeal?

http://whoswho.co.za/gerrie-nel-586516

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/oscar-pistorius-trial-who-barry-roux-master-cross-examination-representing-bladerunner-1438794

Comments

• konyakonya Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    No idea mate :)

:D
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i liek chocolate milk

By which I mean I give it four pages before it's a fight again.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Booty.

If the police and all supporting services needed to bring a successful prosecution are flawed then inevitably the Defence will always look good.
    Nel and other prosecutors are only as good as the evidence, if that is flawed , handled badly etc then the defence only need to poke holes in it to win cases.

Interesting article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21535387
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not fussed, old news.
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Not fussed, old news.

No, this case is still going on ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    i liek chocolate milk

By which I mean I give it four pages before it's a fight again.

We are a good sort really.

Strong views and a dab hand at humour.

I think these two lawyers are in some aspects, as good as each other.

It's a fascinating subject law.

It covers so much of life.

;-)
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How dare you spell Mr Nel's name wrong it's Gerrie not Gerry ;)

My location may give away my thoughts on the subject :)
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrie Nel >>>>>>>>> Barry Roux

Team Nel <3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Hi Booty.

If the police and all supporting services needed to bring a successful prosecution are flawed then inevitably the Defence will always look good.
    Nel and other prosecutors are only as good as the evidence, if that is flawed , handled badly etc then the defence only need to poke holes in it to win cases.

Interesting article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-21535387

Hi benj

Thanks for the link.

It's full of so much info regarding police, forensics and jury verses judge.

It seems the majority conclusion on a crime scene in SA is, that the police do not do their work properly and forensics the same. This then makes it much harder in a court case, and for both sides.

I remember reading in a past OP thread Roux complaing about this himself. It doesn't serve both the innocent or the guilty in terms of justice being done or seen to be done if a scene of whatever tragedy is not preserved properly from the start.

How these lawyers in SA courts don't get or show more frustration is surprising IMO.

But both Nel and Roux seem highly thought of in SA.

I wouldn't mind seeing them both being invited here by a tv station with a mock trial being set up and according to UK law protocol which I'm sure they could pick up quick and see how they do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare you spell Mr Nel's name wrong it's Gerrie not Gerry ;)

My location may give away my thoughts on the subject :)

Hahahaha

Sorry, it's Hairy Nel.

:p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Hi benj

Thanks for the link.

It's full of so much info regarding police, forensics and jury verses judge.

It seems the majority conclusion on a crime scene in SA is, that the police do not do their work properly and forensics the same. This then makes it much harder in a court case, and for both sides.

I remember reading in a past OP thread Roux complaing about this himself. It doesn't serve both the innocent or the guilty in terms of justice being done or seen to be done if a scene of whatever tragedy is not preserved properly from the start.

How these lawyers in SA courts don't get or show more frustration is surprising IMO.

But both Nel and Roux seem highly thought of in SA.

I wouldn't mind seeing them both being invited here by a tv station with a mock trial being set up and according to UK law protocol which I'm sure they could pick up quick and see how they do.

That would be interesting :) from what I have seen of courts here and in S Africa they would both need to learn to be rather more deferential towards the judge. There were times when I thought they both verged on insolence towards Masipa. Perhaps that's the style out there tho.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    I love how Nel is held up like some white knight saviour of womens' honour and has all the housewives here creaming themselves. :D
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Creeps in, looks round.........

Team Nel :)

Creeps out again ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    I love how Nel is held up like some white knight saviour of womens' honour and has all the housewives here creaming themselves. :D

Lol

I would bet Roux as a state prosecutor would be quite a formidable advocate on behave of the state.

I think he was a prosecutor at one time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »

It's always been the case that fighters for justice are heros and defence lawyers are the villains. It's a sterio type I know but quite understandable.

Since the OP thread has always been peopled by both sexes in fairly equal measure both supporting and condemning Nel I think you are a bit off the mark with your " housewife creaming themselves " comment. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    Creeps in, looks round.........

Team Nel :)

Creeps out again ;)

Ok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Gerrie Nel >>>>>>>>> Barry Roux

Team Nel <3

Lets have a debate???

:):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would be interesting :) from what I have seen of courts here and in S Africa they would both need to learn to be rather more deferential towards the judge. There were times when I thought they both verged on insolence towards Masipa. Perhaps that's the style out there tho.

Could be.

Do you think they would get away with that here?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Could be.

Do you think they would get away with that here?

Not from what I have seen in Scottish courts. Perhaps too deferential here, tho I don't know .
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I guessed a day before the next OP thread popped up, but I was wrong, it was a few. Well done for having such self restraint.

I didn't realise this was such a hobby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konya wrote: »
    No idea mate :)

Cheeky. :D

Amazing from a Paralympian, to a tragedy and now these two advocates from SA are world famous.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I guessed a day before the next OP thread popped up, but I was wrong, it was a few. Well done for having such self restraint.

I didn't realise this was such a hobby.

Ah :D

God bless us bunch.

We must be famous or infamous in the forum for you to take so much notice.

We could with perseverence solve this case one day.

I wonder which advocate will come out the better when we finally reach the end?

I'm getting my future grandchildren to sign up and post on my behalf when I'm long gone. ;-)
  • CharmingLynxCharmingLynx Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    It's always been the case that fighters for justice are heros and defence lawyers are the villains. It's a sterio type I know but quite understandable.

I read something interesting about Nel and Roux's 'fan followings' in June Steenkamp's book. She wrote that at the beginning of the trial, when the prosecution was stating its case and Roux was cross-examining the witnesses, it was Roux who had a big female fan following, but then things changed from the moment it was Nel cross-examing Oscar Pistorius:
    By this stage Gerrie had become a media star. At the beginning it was Barry Roux who had all the attention, women asking for his autograph and so on, but now everyone was in love with Gerrie, even though he didn't court the limelight.
    -pages 205-206, Reeva: A Mother's Story

Now, I wasn't reading the DS forums back at the beginning of the trial, so I don't know if the same thing was true here, if Roux had a lot of fans in the beginning. Personally I find it difficult to imagine why women might have had crushes on Roux as, despite his quick wits, for me he had no charisma whatsoever, used underhand tactics, had an irritating tone of voice, and was physically unattractive (in my opinion). But I find the attraction to Nel very easy to understand. I don't have sexual fantasies about him, but I find him a very likeable guy with a charming voice, and he is sporty and fit. And also, to be honest, I think there is probably a subconcious attraction to him on my part because I survived an abusive relationship and I know that Nel took on other cases prior to the OP case where he was trying to get justice for the families of women who were murdered by their abusive partners (as well as one case where it was an abusive woman who killed her husband). And he is dealing with the Channing case now. And personally it moves me to see Nel fighting so passionately for justice in these cases, I don't believe that it's just about the money for him.

And, as June Steenkamp wrote, Gerrie Nel is also a modest man who doesn't get big-headed despite all the adulation. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read something interesting about Nel and Roux's 'fan followings' in June Steenkamp's book. She wrote that at the beginning of the trial, when the prosecution was stating its case and Roux was cross-examining the witnesses, it was Roux who had a big female fan following, but then things changed from the moment it was Nel cross-examing Oscar Pistorius:

-pages 205-206, Reeva: A Mother's Story

Now, I wasn't reading the DS forums back at the beginning of the trial, so I don't know if the same thing was true here, if Roux had a lot of fans in the beginning. Personally I find it difficult to imagine why women might have had crushes on Roux as, despite his quick wits, for me he had no charisma whatsoever, used underhand tactics, had an irritating tone of voice, and was physically unattractive (in my opinion). But I find the attraction to Nel very easy to understand. I don't have sexual fantasies about him, but I find him a very likeable guy with a charming voice, and he is sporty and fit. And also, to be honest, I think there is probably a subconcious attraction to him on my part because I survived an abusive relationship and I know that Nel took on other cases prior to the OP case where he was trying to get justice for the families of women who were murdered by their abusive partners (as well as one case where it was an abusive woman who killed her husband). And he is dealing with the Channing case now. And personally it moves me to see Nel fighting so passionately for justice in these cases, I don't believe that it's just about the money for him.

And, as June Steenkamp wrote, Gerrie Nel is also a modest man who doesn't get big-headed despite all the adulation. :)

Very much reflected in here as I remember. There was quite a lot of ooh roux going on at the beginning. It's now all so long ago perhaps I'm misremembering :blush:

The Channing case looks interesting, is there anywhere for updates ?
  • Ian _ LIan _ L Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....climbs up wall....sticks head above parapet....looks around....fingers slipping.....falls off wall....OUCH!
This discussion has been closed.