The Casual Vacancy shot in 2:35:1 (22:9) Why?

Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there a reason why 'The Casual Vacancy' was shot and more importantly broadcast in 2:35:1 (22:9) and not the standard 16:9?

Doctor Who : Deep Breath was shot at that ratio but only for it's cinema screening, on tv it was cropped to 16:9.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably it was an artistic decision by the director.

And thankfully, then shown as the director intended.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeropoint1 wrote: »
    Is there a reason why 'The Casual Vacancy' was shot and more importantly broadcast in 2:35:1 (22:9) and not the standard 16:9?

Doctor Who : Deep Breath was shot at that ratio but only for it's cinema screening, on tv it was cropped to 16:9.

Was Doctor Who cropped or opened out? I would have said the latter if you can find evidence otherwise I would be interested to know.

Casual Vacancy I haven't seen it yet I recorded it as I was watching Indian Summers on channel 4.

I don't see anything wrong with TV programs being made in 2.35 or 22:9 BTW, its a choice of the director it always should be that as films/TV programs are a work of art at the end of the day (well TV programs like drams more so).
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to be pedantic, but 2.35:1 is 21:9, not 22:9. This and Cucumber (and I believe Banana as well) on Channel 4/E4 have also been broadcast in 2.35:1. It's a stylistic choice by the director/producer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but 2.35:1 is 21:9, not 22:9. This and Cucumber (and I believe Banana as well) on Channel 4/E4 have also been broadcast in 2.35:1. It's a stylistic choice by the director/producer.

In the Flesh was shown in 2.35:1 on BBC Three too...

Jonny Campbell directed both the first season of In The Flesh and The Casual Vacancy, so I'd gather he likes it and he's more than able to get BBC execs on board...
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utopia and Cyberbully on Channel 4 were also 2.35:1. It seems it is becoming a standard television format here.

Fortitude on Sky is in 1.85:1, although it is being sold internationally opened out to 16:9.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

Actually 2.35:1 is 21.15:9 and 2.39:1 is 21.51:9
    22:9 is 2.44:1 and 21:9 is 2.33:1
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like proper widescreeen I have to say.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really a new thing, Channel 4 had one of the episodes of Red Riding shot in 2.35.1 and that was in 2009.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Because the director chose that ratio.
    Pretty simple answer in all honesty!

The more important aspect to all this is yet again why the BBC are NOT using the 5.1 soundtrack and instead using a shitty 2.0 stereo version!
    Someone answer me that!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    It's not really a new thing, Channel 4 had one of the episodes of Red Riding shot in 2.35.1 and that was in 2009.

Channel 4 made The Mill in 2.35:1 (or 2.39:1/2.40:9), its an aesthetic choice and you have to imagine that the height between the black bars is the normal height, so you are actually seeing something wider rather than something that has been cropped from 16:9!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Because the director chose that ratio.
    Pretty simple answer in all honesty!

The more important aspect to all this is yet again why the BBC are NOT using the 5.1 soundtrack and instead using a shitty 2.0 stereo version!
    Someone answer me that!!

Definitely produced with such a soundtrack?
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    2.35:1 is CinemaScope. and nothing has been made in that format for decades.

Modern anamorphic lenses are actually 2.39:1 and the image is very slightly cropped for broadcast at the "21:9" aspect ratio (technically 64:27, or 2.370:1, or 4:3 cubed).

The RED digital camera company has a nice article about anamorphic lenses and why you would use them on both traditional 35mm film stock and digital cameras.

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/anamorphic-lenses

There are various aesthetic considerations such as depth of field and lense flare behaviour which change with the use of anamorphic lenses and having now seen how episode 1 these visual choices have clearly factored in to Johnny Campbell's decision to use this aspect ratio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    2.35:1 is CinemaScope. and nothing has been made in that format for decades.

Modern anamorphic lenses are actually 2.39:1 and the image is very slightly cropped for broadcast at the "21:9" aspect ratio (technically 64:27, or 2.370:1, or 4:3 cubed).

The RED digital camera company has a nice article about anamorphic lenses and why you would use them on both traditional 35mm film stock and digital cameras.

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/anamorphic-lenses

There are various aesthetic considerations such as depth of field and lense flare behaviour which change with the use of anamorphic lenses and having now seen how episode 1 these visual choices have clearly factored in to Johnny Campbell's decision to use this aspect ratio.

CinemaScope was originally 2.66 as it's actually a 2x squeeze of the 35mm silent aperture of 4:3 or 1.33:1!
    It was then cropped to 2.55:1 due to the added magnetic sound, but as that was expensive they started to use the traditional optical sound which meant a crop down further to 2.35.
    The thing is though whether it is 2.66, 2.55, 2.35, 2.39 or 2.40 on 35mm it's still a 2x horizontal squeeze!
    They
    still use the same type of lenses just made by different companies called different things and just improved optics, but still a 2x horizontal squeeze!

2.39 or 2.40 come from cropping on projection or telecine which it a good way to hide film joins, it's still 2.35:1 on the film frame!

Of course super 35 and digital will allow for the cinematographer to capture a flat none anamorphic image, but if it's projected at the cinema on film it has to be put on with the same 2x anamorphic squeeze as that's the standard that the cinema is expecting.

I suppose its possible that if a film was mastered digitally that they might only transfer a 2.39 or 2.40 image to the film prints for projection, but is the same lenses used in cinemas nothing has changed with that 2x squeeze since CinemaScope started!

Digital anamorphic is very different and could utilise different amounts of squeeze just like SD TV does whether 4:3 or 16:9 as the pixels aren't square in either format that's in 480i/p or 576i/p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Who knows they might not have bothered or it could just have had a 3.0 mix, I started watching episode 1 and apart from some sound effects there wasn't much LFE and no music to speak of as such, it was actually quite a depressing drama which is why I didn't bother to finish watching!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably it was an artistic decision by the director.

And thankfully, then shown as the director intended.
    Probably because Jonny Campbell has aspirations to move on from TV to direct full cinematic films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Probably because Jonny Campbell has aspirations to move on from TV to direct full cinematic films.

Or maybe he felt that such an aspect ration suited the production?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

Yes, there was.
    Its also a delivery requirement for HBO.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you to everybody for the replies and also correcting me too. I wasn't complaining about the 21:9 frame. I sat watching the first few minutes waiting for it to open up to standard 16:9, as often happens on Top Gear.

It's great that mainstream tv can be be shot and more importantly broadcast at a wider aspect ratio in primetime.

Also I believe that Doctor Who : Deep Breath was opened up to 16:9 not cropped as I said. As I was sat in the cinema I noted several scenes that would be easy to check on tv, and indeed they have additional space above the cinema version.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also love to see a Top Gear special shot at this ratio too. The Top Gear specials** seem to be one of the few programmes shot in a cinematic way.

** Obviously apart from Doctor Who, which under Steven Moffat has never looked so stunning.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Emperor is not fully dressed.

The wider the frame the less suitable it becomes for home viewing, peoples faces generally get smaller and smaller as the frame is widened. 4:3 is best for home viewing in my opinion, sadly no longer with us (4:3 on a 4:3 TV)

In a cinema it's not a problem of course, but content for TV should be made with the home viewer in mind regardless of the aspirations of the director.

Just another example of a self-serving TV industry.
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Yes, there was.
    Its also a delivery requirement for HBO.

Bear in mind that the HBO version will also probably have HBO bumpers at the beginning and end, and the BBC are quite fussy about the way credit bumpers are set out. So just because a 5.1 mix definitely exists, doesn't mean it exists for this version.

Since the home media release is by Warner Bros., it will probably be the tweaked HBO version. Unless it's native 25fps, then they might use the BBC version.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

The wider the frame the less suitable it becomes for home viewing, peoples faces generally get smaller and smaller as the frame is widened. 4:3 is best for home viewing in my opinion, sadly no longer with us (4:3 on a 4:3 TV)

In a cinema it's not a problem of course, but content for TV should be made with the home viewer in mind regardless of the aspirations of the director.

If it affects viewers as much as you claim it does, surely it would have a negative effect on viewers and lead to complaints, tarnishing the reputation of those involved, doing them no favours...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bear in mind that the HBO version will also probably have HBO bumpers at the beginning and end, and the BBC are quite fussy about the way credit bumpers are set out. So just because a 5.1 mix definitely exists, doesn't mean it exists for this version.

Since the home media release is by Warner Bros., it will probably be the tweaked HBO version. Unless it's native 25fps, then they might use the BBC version.

Is it also possible that the BBC version might have been edited for content?
    Forum Member
    Is it also possible that the BBC version might have been edited for content?

It's possible, they've done it the past with shows they co-produced with premium cable networks. For example, Torchward: Miracle Day and The White Queen, were both co-produced by Starz, but the BBC cut sex scenes from them.

However, I'm not familiar with the source material, so I can't comment on whether there's anything that might have required cuts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I don't agree drama and films are a work of art just like a painting don't ever muzzle that creativity it's a crime against good art!

If you don't like it get a projector at least that way you wont see black bars when its projected onto a white wall!
    Otherwise ether stick to soaps and factual content or just get used to different aspect ratio's!