multiple RGB scart to TV

I have a freeview box and DVD player that both output RGB signals, but my sony TV only supports RGB on one scart socket, is there a method of allowing 2 inputs into one scart socket on my tv? how do u switch between? will it lower quality?

I have seen some scart splitters but im not sure if they are one way or 2 way etc. so i dunno if they are splitting 1 signal into 2 or joining 2 signals into 1 as i want.

thanks,

Al.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. You need an RGB splitter which will do two or more scarts into one. If you get one with a switch, you shouldn't have any noticeable loss in quality, but you will have to manually switch between them. And you might need an extra scart leads to cable it all up. Argos do a good one for a tenner, which handles RGB and keeps widescreen switching signals.

Alternatively, you could try live with an s-video connection from DVD to TV on scart 2/front input.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was looking at those in argos today. And i know ive asked it before but i always forget which one is which.

Is there one which you can just hide round the back and whatever system is currently on it'll display that on TV? Im slowly getting fed up of changing the leads every now and then :(

I have another question but i wont invade this thread and i'll make another one in a minute!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It MUST have a switch, either manual or electronic otherwise you'll get interference if more than one device is switched on.

This is beacuse some SPLITTERS are designed for other purposes, i.e. OUTPUTTING the signal to multiple devices (like multiple vcrs) and NOT as INPUTTING which is what you require.

Go for the manual switch type that takes 3 RGB devices. They're well built nad can handle RGB, S-Video and Composite.
    Some also have very useful audio tap outs for an amp.

If yo're budget can strestch to it, consider an electronic one that auto switches like the Quintro (which I use), about £60.
  • gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Kevo
    It MUST have a switch, either manual or electronic otherwise you'll get interference if more than one device is switched on.

This is beacuse some SPLITTERS are designed for other purposes, i.e. OUTPUTTING the signal to multiple devices (like multiple vcrs) and NOT as INPUTTING which is what you require.

Go for the manual switch type that takes 3 RGB devices. They're well built nad can handle RGB, S-Video and Composite.
    Some also have very useful audio tap outs for an amp.

If yo're budget can strestch to it, consider an electronic one that auto switches like the Quintro (which I use), about £60.

Can you recommend one?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by gillw
    Can you recommend one?

I did, the B Tech Quintro.

The Argos jobby is fine for about £9.75
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Argos jobby is fine for about £9.75

Yep, I bought a similar one from Maplins and would have to agree with Kevo it does just fine. You do have to manually press a button to switch to the input you want but I don't find this a problem. It is a lot more preferable to making the scart sockets on the back of your tv loose which can happen (and did happen to me with my last tv).

Exulus usually they are called scart switcher boxes and have buttons that you can press to select the input to the tv. Don't get a scart extension box that does not have manual switching on it because you can get a lot of interference from the other pieces of equipment plugged in. These usually look like a block with scart connectors and no buttons to manually select the input. Looking at the pictures in Argos it looks like 12, 13 and 14 have buttons on for switching, though item 13 makes no mention of manual switching. I would probably say item 12 would be fine for you and then you can put your own quality scart lead from the block to the tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers :)

Looks like i'll get that soon then, and i suppose you'll get used to switching after a while anyway as whenever you want to view from a different scart you generally have to get up and over to the TV anyway (put in a tape/switch xbox on/put in dvd etc). So i guess the button push will become second nature after a while! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I bought the Argos switch box last week and it's probably going back...there is a noticeable drop in picture quality, and I'm getting the same ghosting problem on Sky that I used to get on DVDs, until I cut pin 19 on the DVD scart. The auto-switching feature for Sky (pressing TV then Sky on the Sky remote) doesn't work anymore either, so I've had to blow the dust off the TV remote and use that to get to EXT 2, the channel I use for Sky. Additionally, although it does have at least one RGB input, I'm not sure that the other two are fully wired (I've opened the case but the PCB is fixed into the lid - it's difficult to tell from just the underside of the PCB). Isn't the point of this that it should accept two RGB inputs?
    I'll be messing around with combinations of inputs, but losing the auto-switching for Sky is just a pain in the arse - this box is supposed to make things easier...unless anyone can suggest where I've done something really stupid?

Oh yes, it's also bloody ugly.

I reckon I'm going to have design my own switchbox - just two fully wired, gold plated scart inputs, individually screened cables, with a discrete switch on a length of wire that could be mounted somewhere on the DVD player, handy for when you stuff the disc in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    well i was almost going to buy it until i read the last post...hmmm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phineas, which one did you get? The box with 3 scart inputs and a scart lead coming out, or the box with 3 scart inputs and 1 scart output?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The argos pennies-under-a-tenner job is a big chunky black box with four scarts (three in, one out), some phone sockets, big tape-recorder style buttons and no leads (you have to add your own). Picture looks fine to me, can't say I have many problems - the only slightly annoying wierd thing is when I have two devices switched on (regardless of which is switched to), pin 8 widescreen signals only come through if all devices are giving a widescreen signal, which could account for the interference mentioned. But it's cheap and mostly works fine for sky/gamecube/dvd, and getting up to switch isn't really a hassle because I have to get up anyway to boot up the cube etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Exulus , I bought the one as described by monkeysoup.

paradoxni - to be honest I'd give it a go anyway - it's less than a tenner, and you've always got the 16 day return guarantee thing if it's not right for you.
    There have been a lot of different threads on how to add more kit to your TV's limited inputs and there doesn't seem to be a agreed ideal way of setting things up, so the duff performance could be down to the quirks of my setup.

Can anyone confirm whether or not ALL the inputs are fully wired for RGB?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone confirm whether or not ALL the inputs are fully wired for RGB?

On the argos black brick - yes, all the scarts do RGB (remember to set the RGB on/off). Wasn't that impressed by composite performance (not that I'd ever want that), haven't tried s-video through it (I have a whole other scart for that), but for hooking up multiple RGB devices it does the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first one. The "SCART Video Unit" one. The even uglier one. With the switches and no lead.

Can't think why they'd be the same price, OK you need to supply the lead, but allowing switching gives much higher quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    cheers ill buy it tis week and let you know how it goes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me if the Argos box has any audio out sockets please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, there are L/R phonos - never actually hooked them up but think they should work in addition to whichever scart is in use though (there are only selection options for the input scart, not the output scart vs phonos).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me whether the second one is any good. I don't like the look of the first one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    On the Argos SCART switchers, my advice would be simply don't!

534/2378, with three sockets, three push buttons and an attached SCART cable was the worst. I tried two of these, both had the same problem. First only two of the sockets are RGB-enabled. Secondly, whatever you plug into the middle is sent to the output lead, regardless of the switch position. No good for me, then, because the middle socket is one of the RGB compatible sockets - hence I couldn't plug two RGB devices in without getting pictures mixed in.

534/2361, with four sockets and two sets of switches was slightly better, but still no good for me. (It doesn't resemble the item in the catalogue/web site, but has the same functionality, btw.) Here you have to have your own SCART lead to connect the output socket to you TV. Then the other three sockets can be used for input. But the inputs aren't fully switched, which is fine if you want to set up for recording one source to another, but no good for selecting different sources.

My problem is my DVD/Home Cinema system is always on so that I can listen to TV broadcasts in surround mode. When my Sky box and DVD are both switched to RGB mode, then I switch my Sky box into standby, the screen goes blank. This is because, despite the SCART box still selecting the Sky SCART, the DVD SCART pins are still being sent to the TV. To get the picture back, I can turn the RGB off at the SCART box (but lose the RGB-quality picture) or switch off the DVD player.

If anyone can recommend a reasonably priced, manually switched SCART block that actually works, I'm all ears!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no!!. I'm even more confused now......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to own Argos istem 534/2361and had no problems at all and would recommend it.

625, I don't understand the problem you are having.
    Are the DVD and stb daisy chained together?

I had a stb, DVD and console connected to each input and all worked fine independantly of each other in RGB mode and WS auto switched.
  • noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by paradoxni
    I have a freeview box and DVD player that both output RGB signals, but my sony TV only supports RGB on one scart socket, is there a method of allowing 2 inputs into one scart socket on my tv? how do u switch between? will it lower quality?

I have seen some scart splitters but im not sure if they are one way or 2 way etc. so i dunno if they are splitting 1 signal into 2 or joining 2 signals into 1 as i want.

thanks,

Al.

You may find that this does the trick? I am going to get one soon as I have the same problem. I will be able to have my Digibox, DVD, Video and PS1 all linked into the one RGB socket.

Link: http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept%5Fid=32&sku=616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by noddylpd
    You may find that this does the trick? I am going to get one soon as I have the same problem. I will be able to have my Digibox, DVD, Video and PS1 all linked into the one RGB socket.

Link: http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/product/technical.asp?dept%5Fid=32&sku=616

Noddylpd...

NO, STOP.

Go for the B-Tech Quintro instead from here....

http://www.beyondhifi.net/shopping/moreinfo.asp?ProductID=565

MUCH CHEAPER and BETTER.

The Trilogy model in your link is just a badged model of the Quintro, more expensive and not as good.

I got the Quintro from the link and can highly recommend it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I used to own Argos istem 534/2361and had no problems at all and would recommend it.

625, I don't understand the problem you are having.
    Are the DVD and stb daisy chained together?

I had a stb, DVD and console connected to each input and all worked fine independantly of each other in RGB mode and WS auto switched.

The DVD and STB were independent of each other. But, as I said, when both were outputting RGB and I switched the STB to standby, the screen would go blank. The graphics on the TV would continue to work, but I would get no picture. If I then went to the SCART block and switched RGB off, the picture would then magically re-appear. So obviously something from the DVD was leaking through. (Or else the Sky box was doing something it shouldn't do in Standby.) Quite odd.

I wonder if yours was the one with the curves as pictured in the catalogue, or if it was the blocky version that I had.

I could have replaced it for another, but after my experience with the first model I decided to give up on Argos.