Options

Your Local Woolworths

ian23ian23 Posts: 316
Forum Member
What, if anything, is happening with your local Woolworths? Apart from the announcement by Iceland a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like many other big retailers are interested buying up the leases. What rumours have you heard about your local store?

Comments

• Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    My local one is being changed to a B&M store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    99p store :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep, mine too, in fact, it just opened this morning
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big "To Let" sign :(
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in town on Monday and ours had a guy inside it messing with the electrics...then I was in Greggs (next door) and all this smoke started coming past from Woolies, when I walked back out it was like white washed windows, but it was some sorta smoke in the building :confused: I guess the shop itself isn't being used for anything, it's not in the right place for an Iceland. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No news yet. Still lights on 24 hours a day and CCTV working I see. Can't think what ours will be as we have a big Primark across from it. Wilkinsons are opening in a former M&S and we have a big Tesco and Iceland too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Dont know whats happening to our woolies store it shut down on the 5th of jan they cleared it out the next day of all fixtures and fittings, but the last one out never turned out the lights they been on 24 hrs since, whos gonna be paying that leccy bill?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cratan007 wrote: »
    Dont know whats happening to our woolies store it shut down on the 5th of jan they cleared it out the next day of all fixtures and fittings, but the last one out never turned out the lights they been on 24 hrs since, whos gonna be paying that leccy bill?

Ours is exactly the same. Spolights in the windows blaring the Woolworths sign is still lit up and all the shop lights are on. (the stores completly empty).
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Ours is exactly the same. Spolights in the windows blaring the Woolworths sign is still lit up and all the shop lights are on. (the stores completly empty).

Sutton is the same.

The one in Balham is now a brand new sparkly 99p Store.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    there was talk that our local one was to be a Peacocks but the local Peacocks don't look like they are moving and would look stupid with 2 close to each other
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think maybe the lights being left on is for security.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We already have an Iceland, Wilkinsons and a large Tesco, though that's a bit out of town. We could possibly be due a Tesco Express, which I have to say I wouldn't actually mind. It was a 2 storey Woolworths though so possibly not. I expect it will be turned into something skanky like Primark or a 99p store.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The escalator was still running in ours up to last week.

Unsuprisingly, it's due to be made into a Primark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mart F wrote: »

Hope that escalator's safe then! :eek:
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know because it was in a part of town that I wouldn't have gone to at all if it wasn't for Woolies.

But we already have a big Tesco and Iceland so I don't know what it will be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought. Where will we all buy our Easter eggs? OMG. :eek: :cry:
  • Options
    gary77gary77 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing is being done with the store in Stevenage just sitting there empty with a note saying the store is longer open
  • Options
    ian23ian23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Mart F wrote: »

That's interesting. I thought I read that Primark weren't interested in any Woolworth's stores.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we don't have a Primark here in Chester currently and they've been waiting for a suitably sized location in the city centre to become available so they can open one for a few years now.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gary77 wrote: »
    Nothing is being done with the store in Stevenage just sitting there empty with a note saying the store is longer open

Matches the old Littlewoods store then I should think :(
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Clune wrote: »
    Yep, mine too, in fact, it just opened this morning

and mine, well I have two local woolies really the other is still empty but there's talk of Wilkinson moving in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,940
    Forum Member
    I personally want to see a decent book store in ours, Borders or Waterstones for example. We've got a WH Smith in the shopping centre, but that can be rubbish for choice.

Failing that, I would like to see one part of it become a Starbucks. I need a Starbucks in the morning, damn it.
  • Options
    JamfocusJamfocus Posts: 7,024
    Forum Member
    Empty and no sign off anything taking over the site.

We've also just lost a card shop and Wallis is also closing down soon.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a Waitrose since the beginning of December. Strangely it feels more cramped than when it was Woolies, but that's probably because it's a lot busier.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's been a Waitrose since the beginning of December. Strangely it feels more cramped than when it was Woolies, but that's probably because it's a lot busier.

You must live in Chiswick :D