Bogeyman or Boogeyman?

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched Sinister last night with Mr Boogey...... Ruins the atmosphere for me and conjures up images of say, Olly Murs fragging about.
I know the Yanks pronounce it as "buggyman" but it still sounds limp. How come we're different and who could claim to be correct and coined the term first?

Comments

• NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I dont have the answer but the bogeyman is scarier sounding. The Boogeyman in Nightmare Before Christmas is quite sinister though, but he does actually boogie to funky tunes also whilst retaining the scary aspects...and he is a sackman made out of insects!
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I also imagine the bogeyman being made of snotters and hankies, have done since childhood...jeez it is quite scary still!
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bogeyman makes me think of Fungus the Bogeyman, Boogeyman makes me think of Stephen King's the Boogeyman, which scared me witless as a child.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard it pronounced 'buggyman'.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard it pronounced 'buggyman'.

? Can't think of a single film where they pronounce it boo-gee. Its always buh-gee in American films.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    ? Can't think of a single film where they pronounce it boo-gee. Its always buh-gee in American films.

I notice you've changed the spelling, still not got it right though.