Windows 8 Upgrade Missing SATA & USB ):

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recently upgraded my main PC from Windows 7 to Windows 8. I performed a clean installation of Windows 8 on a newly formatted HDD to avoid any issues. All seemed to go fine. I installed all my drivers and looked in device manager and nothing with missing drivers.

However, then I needed to use the front USB ports no response, they provide power but no data connection, the back ones are fine. Needed to connect up an extra HDD, showed up fine in BIOS but Windows doesn't see it, it seems to be the standard SATA II ports that aren't working while HDDs on the SATA III seem to be ok.

The problem is I don't know which drivers are causing the problem as in device manager they are all showing as installed and working but there must be missing or incorrect drivers or all my SATA/USB ports would work like they did in Windows 7.

My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 PRO and Windows 8 is Windows 8 Professional 64 bit.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd check if the component's manufacturer provides specific drivers. Could be MS generic drivers can't handle any specialties. Even W7 drivers are worth trying if there are no W8 available.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I'd check if the component's manufacturer provides specific drivers. Could be MS generic drivers can't handle any specialties. Even W7 drivers are worth trying if there are no W8 available.

No, it definitely isn't this as the motherboard is fully supported in Windows 8, I got all the drivers from the manufacturers page and downloaded and installed them so as far as I know I am not using any generic drivers but somehow something seems to have gone wrong in the installation as some of my USB/SATA ports aren't working.

The issue is identifying which drivers are not correctly installed as the device manager is reporting everything ok (no missing drivers).
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checked that they're properly plugged in nice and tight? also checked the bios as well just incase an options got unticked for front usb support (if there is one)
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    No, it definitely isn't this as the motherboard is fully supported in Windows 8, I got all the drivers from the manufacturers page and downloaded and installed them so as far as I know I am not using any generic drivers but somehow something seems to have gone wrong in the installation as some of my USB/SATA ports aren't working.

The issue is identifying which drivers are not correctly installed as the device manager is reporting everything ok (no missing drivers).
    Not sure if Win 8 Device Manager has the Scan For Hardware Changes option but if so try that and see if it discovers the "missing" hardware.

Also double check in the BIOS that there isn't some setting in there that has disabled the affected ports.

If all else fails simply uninstall the existing drivers then re-boot and see if Windows finds the hardware properly.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Checked that they're properly plugged in nice and tight? also checked the bios as well just incase an options got unticked for front usb support (if there is one)

Yeah, no problem with the connections, for the SATA the BIOS is seeing all the HDDs I connect (proving the connection is ok), Windows is seeing only HDDs on SATA 3 ports not SATA 2 ports, which will be a different chipset and hence probably needs a different driver which I suspect hasn't installed right. Likewise, I suspect a different chipset is handling the front USBs (which also aren't working).

Regarding the BIOS settings, when installing Windows 8 the only thing I changed was boot order (so it could install from the disc) and I changed that back once it was installed.