Options

Will Russia "invade" Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the hysteria in the Press about Russia which further feeds discussions forums and blogs is a joke.
    The so called new government in Kiev has already banned Russian as a recognised language in the country despite at least 50% of the population speaking it as their first language.
    Not a squeak from the EU which normally likes to champion human rights.
    I expected the US and the UK to be brazen in their covert efforts to topple a democratically elected government, but not the EU.

Really, considering the state of the country, the last thing they should be doing is further p***ing the Russian speakers in the country, speaking of which, where did you get the figures for Russian Speakers?

If they want to keep Ukraine together then actions like these will undermine it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats the problem. There can be no military reaction if they do invade. Germany has no significant military capability at all - its just cut its airforce again last week, and its army has 36 guns and less than 5% of its cold war tank numbers. Holland has no tanks left at all. The UK might muster 50 tanks but thats about it. There are no American tanks in Europe, and Nato's backing nuclear forces in Europe are down to a few nuclear capable fighters - that have no hope of penetrating Russian air defences. Only the Poles take the Russian threat seriously and have an army left to do it with, and they are not going to be keen to fight Russia on their own.

It probably won't happen, but it does underline what could happen. Meanwhile, Obama is withdrawing the U S into isolation and has already withdrawn nearly all US capability from Europe, Germany has phased out its ability to fight major conventional wars, and he UK plans only to fight small wars, against enemies that don't fight well, and not until sometime in the 2020s.

When you add the Syrian Civil War, it shows that for a strong Europe, we need to invest much more in defence, both in numbers and resources...
  • Options
    DunnroaminDunnroamin Posts: 2,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Also I want to ask this, Central Ukraine is mostly Pro-Europe, but not as strongly as Western Ukraine, so considering how historically important Kiev is to Russian History, would Russia also look at annexing that region as well?

Lastly, the breakway Molovian region of Transnistria (which is strongly Russian) borders Southern Ukraine, if the latter region becomes part of the Russian Federation, will Transnistria join it as well...

I apologise if this seems a stupid question, but why is Russia so anti Europe, isn't much of Russia part of the continent of Europe? How much better things might be if all of Europe was united, not necessarily politically, but just as friendly states, cooperating and competing, like friends do. As things are, I get the feeling that Putin wants to drag Russia back to the cold war era and recreate the Soviet Union.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    The military exercises are an interesting development.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, considering the state of the country, the last thing they should be doing is further p***ing the Russian speakers in the country, speaking of which, where did you get the figures for Russian Speakers?

If they want to keep Ukraine together then actions like these will undermine it...

The figure for Russian speakers in the country are derived from polls in the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Ukraine

Also a few years ago we had a couple of Ukraine Uni students from Odessa stay at our house in a reciprocal visit to do with my daughters Uni.
    They said most people use Russian as their first language simply because it was the language of the former USSR and furthermore many Ukrainians watch Russian Tv, films etc.
    Odessa is pretty much on the dividing line between the Eastern and Western factions and both students could speak Russian and Ukrainian although Russian seemed to be their preferred langauge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »
    I apologise if this seems a stupid question, but why is Russia so anti Europe, isn't much of Russia part of the continent of Europe? How much better things might be if all of Europe was united, not necessarily politically, but just as friendly states, cooperating and competing, like friends do. As things are, I get the feeling that Putin wants to drag Russia back to the cold war era and recreate the Soviet Union.

Perhaps because looking at how most of Europe toes the line concerning US wishes and interests it doesn't seem to be a beacon of democracy.
    Plus the recent blatant assistance of the EU in helping to topple a democratically elected government hasn't helped.
    Russia is just as bad if not worse - Yet the West tries to make out it is a paragon of democracy whilst doing what it accuses Russia of doing - Undermining democracy.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you add the Syrian Civil War, it shows that for a strong Europe, we need to invest much more in defence, both in numbers and resources...

We need to upgrade alot of our hardware, the gap between the eu and the usa is silly. Germany really needs to get over its war guilt and take its share of the wieght reguarding defence spending (1% of gdp)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    If they want WW3, they will invade Ukraine

I can't see it causing WW3 but we could boycott the 2018 world cup. ;-)

It would be better if Ukraine was broken up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunnroamin wrote: »

The main reason is simple, Putin wants to remain in change, he is not opposed to a concept of a United Europe, just as long as he is in charge. What he really wants is to make Russia a strong and dominant superpower once again, which would also help his bank balance...

This is not about being Anti-Europe, just a good old power struggle...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So are the growing protests in Crimea
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The figure for Russian speakers in the country are derived from polls in the link below.

Also a few years ago we had a couple of Ukraine Uni students from Odessa stay at our house in a reciprocal visit to do with my daughters Uni.
    They said most people use Russian as their first language simply because it was the language of the former USSR and furthermore many Ukrainians watch Russian Tv, films etc.
    Odessa is pretty much on the dividing line between the Eastern and Western factions and both students could speak Russian and Ukrainian although Russian seemed to be their preferred langauge.

What I have seen indicates that while Russians are a ethnic minority, Russian continues to commonly used in some form by 60% of the population as a "language of communication", Odessa is in Southern Ukraine and thus could potentally end up as part of Russia.

Thanks for the information...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to upgrade alot of our hardware, the gap between the eu and the usa is silly. Germany really needs to get over its war guilt and take its share of the wieght reguarding defence spending (1% of gdp)

Well I am hoping what is happening in Syria and now Ukraine will make them change their minds, we are not living in stable time, however at least most of Europe (mostly) speaks as one...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I can't see it causing WW3 but we could boycott the 2018 world cup. ;-)

It would be better if Ukraine was broken up.

Could we ask FIFA to reverse their decisions to give the World Cups to Russia ands Qatar and threatern to boycott otherwise?
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    I saw the Ukraine interim President condemning the "gunmen" who have taken over Parliament buildings in Crimea and calling them criminals. Nothing like the peaceful protesters who took over Parliament buildings in Kiev of course. Not that this bunch of dictatorial thugs, calling themselves the government, can do anything about it anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    I saw the Ukraine interim President condemning the "gunmen" who have taken over Parliament buildings in Crimea and calling them criminals. Nothing like the peaceful protesters who took over Parliament buildings in Kiev of course. Not that this bunch of dictatorial thugs, calling themselves the government, can do anything about it anyway.

Nothing like bankrolling a bunch of thugs as the EU and the US are doing at the moment.
    They seem to have forgotten that the Taliban that they armed against the USSR is now their foe, or Saddam who they armed to the teeth had to be taken out at the cost of billions.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    The rumour mill says that something is happening at Sevastopol airport with Russian troops taking control of it.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah

WHAT AN UNIQUE MOVE THAT WAS BY PUTIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nothing like COMPLETELY SURPRISING THE WORLD WITH THAT ONE!!!!!

^_^
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and it won't matter what russia does ..... "the west" won't do a damn thing!
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rumour mill says that something is happening at Sevastopol airport with Russian troops taking control of it.

According to the wires pro Russia protesters seem to be doing in the crimea what pro eu protesters were doing in Kyiv.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_UKRAINE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-02-27-19-03-05
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am hoping what is happening in Syria and now Ukraine will make them change their minds, we are not living in stable time, however at least most of Europe (mostly) speaks as one...

One thing we need though is a stable period of peace so money can go to procurement rather than waging wars. We aren't America, we don't have a large enough economy to support both things at the one time.

No unrelated but how large a professional army do the Russians have? I was under the impression that the bulk of their forces were conscripted and served for a lesser amount of time than our squadies basic training.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't expect much except a bit of sabre rattling - until I heard more about the guys that occupied the regional parliament in Simferopol in the Crimea...and their military kit and RPGs! That's WELL above the level of mayhem that the protestors in the Maidan could ever have contemplated...

And now, tonight, Interfax is reporting that identically-equiped men have seized an airport at Simferopol...

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the Spetznaz were "opening the way" tonight...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pro-Russians have also occupied the regional parliment, how long before Kiev accepts Russia now formally controls Crimea, this is repeat of what happened to the breakway Geogian territories...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing we need though is a stable period of peace so money can go to procurement rather than waging wars. We aren't America, we don't have a large enough economy to support both things at the one time.

No unrelated but how large a professional army do the Russians have? I was under the impression that the bulk of their forces were conscripted and served for a lesser amount of time than our squadies basic training.

Well we are very unlikely to have a war with Russia over Ukraine, so we can use this time to upgrade our armed forces, which in turn will boost our economy in the right areas.

The Russian Armed Forces consists of 766,000 (of whhich 450,000 are conscrpits) active personel and 1 million reserves and costs $96 blllion, they still have conscripts for 12 months, they could also call on upon their allies Belarus (62,000 active + 289,000 reserves) and posibbly Kazakstan (109,000 active + 378,000 reserve)

I am not sure about training but they have has experence in such siutations, plus they have escalated defence spending...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't expect much except a bit of sabre rattling - until I heard more about the guys that occupied the regional parliament in Simferopol in the Crimea...and their military kit and RPGs! That's WELL above the level of mayhem that the protestors in the Maidan could ever have contemplated...

And now, tonight, Interfax is reporting that identically-equiped men have seized an airport at Simferopol...

If I didn't know better, I'd say that the Spetznaz were "opening the way" tonight...

To be honest, even I am surprised at the speed Russia's responce, I wonder what they will do with Russian-Speaking Eastern and Southern Ukraine...
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the 2001 census, 67.5% of the country population named Ukrainian as their native language while 29.6% named Russian