The Saturdays - What are you waiting for...Flop?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Girls Aloud really have left no stamp on the music industry. They would be as forgotten as Atomic Kitten if not for Cheryl Cole.

Musically they released some stellar Xenomania material but they really have no legacy like the Spice Girls have.

Let's be honest, Girls Aloud had much better singles than The Saturdays. The Loving Kind (fantastic tune), Biology, Can't Speak French...only song of The Sats worth remembering is All Fired Up & that was beaten to #1 by Pixie blinkin' Lott!

As for the Groupon thing, that sums it all up.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, so I've given What are you waiting for a proper listen. I thought it was pretty dreadful when I heard it on the National Lottery. But it's alright actually. I think it's actually far better than Forever is Over. Not a standout single choice but an okay song.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Okay, so I've given What are you waiting for a proper listen. I thought it was pretty dreadful when I heard it on the National Lottery. But it's alright actually. I think it's actually far better than Forever is Over. Not a standout single choice but an okay song.

I really like Forever Is Over though nobody else seems to like it. I think that it's better than All Fired Up.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I really like Forever Is Over though nobody else seems to like it. I think that it's better than All Fired Up.

I don't rate All Fired Up either! :D

I like the ones people mock: 30 Days has great production values
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forever Is Over is probably my 3rd favourite Sats song!
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, Girls Aloud had much better singles than The Saturdays. The Loving Kind (fantastic tune), Biology, Can't Speak French...only song of The Sats worth remembering is All Fired Up & that was beaten to #1 by Pixie blinkin' Lott!

As for the Groupon thing, that sums it all up.

Luner babe, Girls Aloud are much more special than Atomic Kitten.

It's not ALL about Cheryl. GA were a success even before her appointment to nation's sweetheart.

Six arena tours - 21 top 10 singles- six platinum albums - million selling greatest hits - one million arena tour tickets sold - 4 number 1 singles and 2 number 1 albums. 9 million records.

I would say Girls Aloud are the 2nd most successful girl group in the UK obviously second to spice Girls. Continued success.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forever is Over is also one of my fave Sats' singles. I felt a great sense of anticipation by the title All Fired Up but alas I never quite felt that way when I heard it.
    Forever Is Over is probably my 3rd favourite Sats song!

It might be my no 3 too, after Higher and Issues! :)
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forever is Over is one of my favorites also, the remix is brilliant too, that single also had another of my top 5 sats track as the b-side, I Can't Wait, I can understand though why people felt underwhelmed by Forever is Over, it did take me a few listens at first too.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I think its time for a break, at least put them out of their misery. I think they are all lovely girls but I think they assumed they would instantly become the next Girls Aloud but unfortunately (due to average songs, bad song choice releases and terrible management) it didn't go that way

I think they will all do well on other celeb reality shows just like Frankie will on Strictly
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'The Saturdays' never took off because nobody knew *them* and it's the same with why Sugababes had issues.

Spice Girls and Girls Aloud you knew their personalities but Sugababes were singer 1 - 3 and The Saturdays could be any 5 girls plucked from top shop. The reality show came far too far down the line in their careers.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sugababes had 3 triple platinum selling albums, 2 double platinum, a platinum and 2 golds.
    Several sell out arena tours and over 25 big hits. If there is to be a ranking then they would surely come behind Spice Girls as most successful girl band in the UK.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Sugababes had 3 triple platinum selling albums, 2 double platinum, a platinum and 2 golds.
    Several sell out arena tours and over 25 big hits. If there is to be a ranking then they would surely come behind Spice Girls as most successful girl band in the UK.

Yeah I would definitely rank them second behind Spice Girls. I think Girls Aloud are always thought of as bigger because their celebrity status was always bigger than Sugababes and they were consistent single sellers but looking at album sales, critical acclaim and their success across Europe, Sugababes were by far the more successful of the two 00s girl groups. Did Girls Aloud really have any hits outside of the UK?

Saturdays haven't really even hit the success of the third 00s group Atomic Kitten, let alone that of Girls Aloud and Sugababes.

They've had a bloody good run though.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Yeah I would definitely rank them second behind Spice Girls. I think Girls Aloud are always thought of as bigger because their celebrity status was always bigger than Sugababes and they were consistent single sellers but looking at album sales, critical acclaim and their success across Europe, Sugababes were by far the more successful of the two 00s girl groups. Did Girls Aloud really have any hits outside of the UK?

Saturdays haven't really even hit the success of the third 00s group Atomic Kitten, let alone that of Girls Aloud and Sugababes.

They've had a bloody good run though.

I agree. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that they've managed to stay around for as long as they have so far.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner babe, Girls Aloud are much more special than Atomic Kitten.

It's not ALL about Cheryl. GA were a success even before her appointment to nation's sweetheart.

Six arena tours - 21 top 10 singles- six platinum albums - million selling greatest hits - one million arena tour tickets sold - 4 number 1 singles and 2 number 1 albums. 9 million records.

I would say Girls Aloud are the 2nd most successful girl group in the UK obviously second to spice Girls. Continued success.

I don't deny any of that success but in response to that poster saying they left a stamp on the music industry they really didn't.

The Spice Girls did as they were so iconic and huge in that nineties time period and are still referenced today/any new girlband of today is compared to them.

That imo is leaving a stamp when your iconic status goes beyond just the music but influences many aspects of pop culture.

I also agree that Sugababes 2.0 were more successful than GA as they produced three triple platinum studio albums aswell as enjoyed some success outwith the British Isles together GA did not.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say Girls Aloud and Sugababes were pretty much equal. They both received their fair share of critical acclaim. If you average out their album sales (for Girls Aloud's seven compared to Sugababes' eight) then Girls Aloud are probably slightly ahead, but not by a great deal. Girls Aloud would probably win on singles sales too.

But then I guess Sugababes music is cooler and more timeless than Girls Aloud, so I think they'll be remembered more and played more in twenty years time. I think The Saturdays will be forgotten very quickly.
  • Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    I don't deny any of that success but in response to that poster saying they left a stamp on the music industry they really didn't.

The Spice Girls did as they were so iconic and huge in that nineties time period and are still referenced today/any new girlband of today is compared to them.

That imo is leaving a stamp when your iconic status goes beyond just the music but influences many aspects of pop culture.

I also agree that Sugababes 2.0 were more successful than GA as they produced three triple platinum studio albums aswell as enjoyed some success outwith the British Isles together GA did not.

Sugababes having mediocre European sales is not really relevant in comparison to GA million sales in the UK lol.

I'm not shading Sugababes 2.0 because I personally thought they were fantastic but as was stated by someone.....I would also say GA were the 2nd most successful girlband in the UK.

They didn't say in Europe or elsewhere....they said IN the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

They also had three line up changes even at once leaving no original members.
    There singles success was very hit and miss. Girls Aloud every single bar Beautiful and Untouchable was a top 10 hit.

Excuse me please tell me all these arena tours they sold out, by my recollection they could barely sell out a theatre. They had one stint at trying to sell out arenas with their GH, and then had to revert back to theatres again for Change. Sugababes and arena's don't go together. GA sold out over 100 arena tour dates even after three years off they sold 200,000 reunion tour tickets, selling over a million tickets in the whole career.. Sorry but when it comes out touring and live shows Girls Aloud are a force. Its actually a laughable suggestion. No girl band has sold out arenas like GA have in recent times bar spice in the 90s.

Albums!? Girls Aloud had two double platinum albums, a four times platinum greatest hits record
    SOTU 360k
    WWTNS 600k
    Chemistry 380k
    SOGA 1.2 million
    Tangled Up 500k
    OOC 800kT
    Ten 200k

All the GA albums did well. Yes SOME of the Sugababes did sell better but overall, Girls Aloud didn't have any flop albums either - Catfights and Spotlights and Sweet 7 anyone!?:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Am I right that this tune has just completely dropped out of the Top 100!!?? I could`nt see it when I looked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also had three line up changes even at once leaving no original members.
    There singles success was very hit and miss. Girls Aloud every single bar Beautiful and Untouchable was a top 10 hit.

Excuse me please tell me all these arena tours they sold out, by my recollection they could barely sell out a theatre. They had one stint at trying to sell out arenas with their GH, and then had to revert back to theatres again for Change. Sugababes and arena's don't go together. GA sold out over 100 arena tour dates even after three years off they sold 200,000 reunion tour tickets, selling over a million tickets in the whole career.. Sorry but when it comes out touring and live shows Girls Aloud are a force. Its actually a laughable suggestion. No girl band has sold out arenas like GA have in recent times bar spice in the 90s.

Albums!? Girls Aloud had two double platinum albums, a four times platinum greatest hits record
    SOTU 360k
    WWTNS 600k
    Chemistry 380k
    SOGA 1.2 million
    Tangled Up 500k
    OOC 800kT
    Ten 200k

All the GA albums did well. Yes SOME of the Sugababes did sell better but overall, Girls Aloud didn't have any flop albums either - Catfights and Spotlights and Sweet 7 anyone!?:D

Not sure how this comment is relevant, no one said GA were flops, they were completely the opposite of a flop until their last campaign which probably would have sold much better if they hadn't picked the two worst new songs as singles.
    As for their albums:

One Touch: 250k
    Angels: 900k
    Three: 900k
    Taller in More Ways: 900k
    Overloaded: 500k
    Change: 500k
    Catfights: 100k
    Sweet 7: 50k?

Roughly 5.2 million albums sold.
    Add the fact that they didn't have the power of x factor or Cheryl's solo status, I'd say they did considerably well.
    Not sure how their singles were hit and miss, 18 of their 26 singles hit the top ten, in most cases singles started to do badly because of how high their album sales were, Taller in More Ways being a prime example, Follow Me Home, the final single charted at 32, after the album had hit triple platinum, hardly surprising it flopped really.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always bracket The Saturdays and Pixie Lott together as both acts came out at the same time. They have also both underachieved when compared to original expectations and initial success. It's not a surprise then that both Frankie from The Sats and Pixie have both ended up on Strictly Come Dancing in an effort to boost sales and exposure.
    Fame is a hard game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about the several sell out arena tours???:o:D:cool: They could barely sell out theatres don't know where you got that from!;-)

Yes three of their albums sold 900k each. But my point was that near the end Sugababes had two flop albums 50k-100k for a new studio album is not very good. All the Girls Aloud studio albums went at least platinum. I actually own the Sugababes albums btw so i am no hater:cool::kitty: but Girls Aloud to me are the bigger success story. Cheryl's X Factor success did not help them for the first couple of the years and they were doing just fine even before she got that everything before OOC had been successful. It helped her solo career more than it did Girls Aloud.

Singles
    GA - 21 top ten singles, twenty of those consecutive hits record holders.
    Sugababes 18 top ten singles with seven flop singles.
    http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/girls-aloud-crowned-the-biggest-selling-girl-group-of-the-21st-century-1652/
    GA WIN.

Albums
    Yep OK they got three 900k selling albums. But they also got 2 flop studio albums.
    The GA Greatest Hits record sold twice what Sugababes did.
    I'll let them have the win in albums but Girls Aloud are a very close second.
    SUGA WIN.

Tours
    Girls Aloud are ridiculously successful in terms of tours. Six arena tours. Over a million tickets sold. Sugababes tried arena's during the GH they didn't sell well and reverted back to theatres again for Change. Sugababes had little or no success live. Girls Aloud are the biggest live female group second only to Spice Girls. GA could have sold out stadiums if they tried in 2009. They sold out 5 O2's that is 18,000 each time. Even the reunion tour did 200,000 tickets - and 3 dates at O2 too.
    GA WIN HANDS DOWN.
    Forum Member
    I think to be honest, Sugababes and Girls Aloud were pretty level in terms of success in terms of the UK.

Girls Aloud have around 370,000 more single sales than Sugababes. Sugababes just about nudge them Girls Aloud on album sales. Obviously GA take the touring element but Sugababes probably top GA in terms of festivals as Sugababes played some pretty big stages, main stage at Glasto for example.

In terms of celebrity, Girls Aloud were the biggest group but I reckon in terms of column inches, they are about even. Critically, I would say Sugababes overall were a much more critically successful group than Girls Aloud were (just my opinion).

I don't think that Sugababes having two flop albums means that much in the battle of the two because their four most successful studio albums more than makes up for the two albums that weren't. The line-up changes really don't matter either if we are talking about the commercial success of the group.

As I say overall, when everything is factored in, they are pretty much even IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing is for sure, both had great music and both knew what songs to pick.
    Although I attended the Sugababes' GH tour and it was jam packed from what I remember.
    And I'd like to point out that just because a song doesn't hit top ten doesn't make it a "flop".
    Sadly The Sats have had so many mis-picks when it comes to singles.
    Forever is Over chosen over One Shot, Ego? Utterly bizarre that they would lead an album of electro-pop with a pop/rock song.
    I'm betting On Your Radar would have sold considerably more had Get Ready Get Set or Faster or even White Lies been the lead single over bloody My Heart Takes Over (what what they thinking?!)
    And more recently they picked Gentleman and Disco Love over Not Giving Up? MADNESS. If NGU had followed What About Us as the 2nd single off Living For the Weekend it would have been massive, followed up by Lease My Love and then the album I'm betting it would have been huge.
    And now we are in 2014, and they pick What Are You Waiting For over 808? INSANITY.
    It's amazing how as fans it's so obvious what the singles should be, they finally listened and release NGU for the fans but it was two singles too late and flopped.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think The Saturdays' single releases should've been:

Chasing Lights -> Work -> Up -> Fall -> Set Me Off -> Why Me, Why Now
    Wordshaker -> Ego -> One Shot -> Lose Control (to tie in with St Trinians 2 release)
    Headlines (or WS re-release): Higher -> Karma -> Puppet
    On Your Radar -> Get Ready, Get Set -> All Fired Up -> Faster -> Last Call
    Living For The Weekend -> Not Giving Up -> Lease My Love -> You Don't Have The Right -> Gentleman
    Finest Selection -> 808....

Comic Relief single would never have happened...
    Forum Member
    I agree Fall should have been a single, such a good ballad.