Small Dog Jogging Partners???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

My little guy Alfie is a cross between a westie and a miniature Apricot Poodle... he's about 20lbs.

He's started to jog alongside me when I run along in the park and every so often I've ran a whole street with him. he seems to enjoy this pace in his walks rather than walking pace and I'm wondering if he would make a jogging companion.

I did used to jog but never have with him as I thought he would be too small and not up to it lol.

He's about 14 months old now and I think he's still too young anyway so I'm thinking about the future.

Does anyone know if/have a smaller dog that is a jogging companions... and at what age you can start to run with a dog if he is ok?

Comments

• Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen several people jogging round the park with Chihuahuas. It's a huge park but they go the distance and clearly love every minute of it.

I don't think 14 months is too young. Sure you'll both have fun :)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogs love running with their pack.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks guys, I was just worried about his size...but he has longer legs than a westie and does seem to enjoy it... I'll start training him up (or maybe that should be him training me up lol) :)
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go running 3 times a week with my staffie. He had quite stumpy legs but lvoed it and could have done triple the distances I could!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    There are clubs that organise dog running....caniX or something similar.
    I think it soiunds like a perfect solution for exercise for both of you, great fun.
  • the.watsonthe.watson Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he didn't want to run he'd stop. Some of the questions on here are unbelievable?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the.watson wrote: »
    If he didn't want to run he'd stop. Some of the questions on here are unbelievable?!

my questions are unbelievable?

I think they're all legitimate considerations, and despite you thinking I'm a total idiot I'd much rather look like an idiot but do the best thing for my dog as a first time dog owner.

some people on DS are so nasty!! lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abira wrote: »
    my questions are unbelievable?

I think they're all legitimate considerations, and despite you thinking I'm a total idiot I'd much rather look like an idiot but do the best thing for my dog as a first time dog owner.

some people on DS are so nasty!! lol

Should a dog be ok jogging?
    Very sensible!
    (lol)
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's a daft question.

If you know the dog is physically up to it, then a jog is fine. But it shouldn't be a total substitute for a walk. That's a totally different experience for a dog; the sniffing, the rooting around and the exploring. Jogging is exercise, walking is a whole doggy world.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Very sensible!
    (lol)

Yeah Bulldog and a nice long jog shouldn't be a problem, I mean they don't struggle to breath or struggle if it's hot do they?
    Yeah and some breeds aren't more prone to Hip dysplasia are they?
    Over exercise at a young age, say doing miles of jogging hasn't been discussed as possibly exacerbating the onset of Hip dysplasia?

Oh as for if he didn't want to run he'd stop.
    Frankly some dogs will run even if they're struggling with pain and not just not being in the mood.
    You should have seen my mates Staff when he got old and his back legs wouldn't do what he wanted, he tried to carry on as normal.
    It wasn't pleasant to see, I'll say that much.

The Dog refuses to go out in the rain with other people, she'll go with me though, I stand no nonsense, once she's wet, she's wet and has to crack on with it.
    She also used to have a problem with long grass, bushes and jumping logs, I didn't give her too much choice about those either, she learnt to deal with the problem.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

not true my dog would run and play until he exhasuted himself and died some dogs dont know when to stop.

Jogging with some dogs depending on age and breed are a definite no no it makes much more sense for the op to ask as a first time dog owner, if only all owners asked for advice before gettting puppies or doing things with their dogs, they would live happier and healthier lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sensible!
    (lol)

answering a question just to take the p****.
    Very sensible!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abira wrote: »
    answering a question just to take the p****.
    Very sensible!

Ironic much?