How to use 3G?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
Forum Member
I have a Motorola Z8 and m not quite sure how to use 3G on it I have managed to get the GPRS working on it but there seems to be no instructions on how to use 3G. I am in the centre of a main town and the 3G signal should be excelling according to O2's website?

Comments

• RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    There must be a network settings on it? Maybe it has been set to GSM. See if you can change it to something that reads like "dual mode"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    There is a section called 'Internet Accounts' under the control panel. The options i have are:

O2 Mobile Web
    O2 Pay and Go
    O2 Pay Monthly
    O2 Prepay GPRS

I have tried all 4 and they all seem to be GPRS?

Somebody said i may need a 3g compatible sim card?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a section called 'Internet Accounts' under the control panel. The options i have are:

O2 Mobile Web
    O2 Pay and Go
    O2 Pay Monthly
    O2 Prepay GPRS

I have tried all 4 and they all seem to be GPRS?

Somebody said i may need a 3g compatible sim card?

You do need a 3G sim card to use 3G. You cant use 3G with a standard 2G sim card. Contact O2 they will send you one for free with you number and credit on etc. I requested one Tuesday from them and it came Thursday. Note though I was without a phone Wednesday as my old sim was made inactive but one day without a mobile isnt the end of the world.

You'll have to make a backup of the numbers in your contacts cos obviously the new sim card will only have the default 9 O2 numbers in it. But on 3G sim cards you can save 241 numbers in them where as on a standard 2G sim you can only store 91.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Thanks mate. Will give that a go. Assuming i ave put the new simcard im my phone, will the GPRS suddenly just change to 3g speeds if i am in a 3g area?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks mate. Will give that a go. Assuming i ave put the new simcard im my phone, will the GPRS suddenly just change to 3g speeds if i am in a 3g area?

Yes it should do it automatically. I really noticed the difference when I had a 3G phone (crappy Nokia 6280 which died lol)

On another note I ordered a custom etop up card before the 3G SIM but the SIM came first :confused::p
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    Surely the Z8 was supplied with the 3G sim card?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely the Z8 was supplied with the 3G sim card?

But the OP is probably using their old SIM card in it which is probably not 3G.
  • capt hangovercapt hangover Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you chaps.

Recently got my first 3G phone and was wondering why the internet was slow.

Called Vodafone and they laughed when I told them my sim card was 3 years old.

New 3G sim in the post today!