Xbox One must (confirmed) be connected every 24 hours, or every hour if not yours

Comments

• Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Such a pointlessly annoying requirement.

I had no internet for 23 days last year after a fault developed on my landline. If I'm unlucky enough to have the same thing happen again then I'd also have a console that stopped playing games for 22 days.

I know its unlikely to happen again, but assuming the PS4 doesn't have such a feature I can be confident that with a PS4 under the TV, losing my connection for a few days doesn't leave me with a non-game playing games console.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    People are forgetting that an internet connection is a two way street.

What if Xbox servers go down or get taken down.
    Then you're screwed. You can't play any online or offline games at all. Also what happens when people stop playing your favourite game and then MS close down the servers. That's it. That game is dead for ever.

So yes, this affects everyone. People who say they don't care because it won't affect them haven't considered this fully. It will affect them.

EXACTLY!

As a game collector and a retro fan, this is sad, sad news to me.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    People are forgetting that an internet connection is a two way street.

What if Xbox servers go down or get taken down.
    Then you're screwed. You can't play any online or offline games at all. Also what happens when people stop playing your favourite game and then MS close down the servers. That's it. That game is dead for ever.

So yes, this affects everyone. People who say they don't care because it won't affect them haven't considered this fully. It will affect them.

I'm a bit confused...by shutting down the servers that means that only the online content will not be accessible right?

The main game story and other features on the disc will still run right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused...by shutting down the servers that means that only the online content will not be accessible right?

Nope. Once the servers go down, nothing will work. Your games will become useless coasters.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if Sony's PS4 DRM is less draconian, or otherwise invisible to the user effectively, They'll get a huge head start with this gen hands down. like this gen it will be of no consequence no matter how the 360 turned out to well designed Sytem/OS if the DRM is that draconian.

I can see Microsoft having to backtrack with future updates!! or risk losing this generation.
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »

Only if the One can "see" the Microsoft servers.

There will be none of this digging out an old console 10 or 20 years down the line and playing old games like you can currently do with a SNES or Megadrive.

The One only lasts 24 hours without a "hug" from Microsoft to reassure it that all is right with the world.
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if the One can "see" the Microsoft servers.

There will be none of this digging out an old console 10 or 20 years down the line and playing old games like you can currently do with a SNES or Megadrive.

The One only lasts 24 hours without a "hug" from Microsoft to reassure it that all is right with the world.

Exactly. they don't seem to want you to have a licence that long. :(

They want you to fork out all over again in the future. for example PS1 games on PSN, why would I buy those, I have the originals, the original console. unless it's a proper remake, this emulated crap isn't worth it unless you never had them in the past like FF7.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In pretty sure they will remove the licence or check in games over a certain age.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Someone will make a hack for it 24 hours after it goes on sale.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    kendoguk wrote: »
    In pretty sure they will remove the licence or check in games over a certain age.

No they won't. For the simple reason that the whole game has to be installed from the Blu-ray disc to the HDD and the blu-ray disc is not needed afterwards. (for gameplay anyway) It's a copyright requirement they can't, unless it has been about 70-100 years.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, I'm out anyway, was looking forward to it but not anymore.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I think I may just bring down the 20 year old matsui VCR player that's in the loft and pretend it's and Xbox one. Not only does it look more stylish it can also entertain me without having to phone home every 5 minutes, to let Bill Gates know what I'm up to.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Someone will make a hack for it 24 hours after it goes on sale.

Motivated hackers would probably find bringing down their authentication servers a much more tempting target. Imagine if it became physically impossible to authenticate a game on launch day.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had no internet for 23 days last year after a fault developed on my landline. If I'm unlucky enough to have the same thing happen again then I'd also have a console that stopped playing games for 22 days.

And if you had a fault with your electrics for 23 days? Then what? :)
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I think I may just bring down the 20 year old matsui VCR player that's in the loft and pretend it's and Xbox one. Not only does it look more stylish it can also entertain me without having to phone home every 5 minutes, to let Bill Gates know what I'm up to.

Actually - if you leave it alone for 24 hours before trying to use it you'll pretty much have the Xbox One experience right there.

Huge? check
    Watch TV through it? check
    Watch prerecorded films? check
    Play games? no

It is an Xbox One!!! :D
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i was going to decide after hopefully getting hands on at Eurogamer Expo,but after this it looks like Sony have got this gen for me,the idea that you plop down £40+ for a game that in 10 years time will possibly be nothing more than a expensive coaster is wrong
    Forum Member

If I had no electricity for 23 days - I think the fact that civilisation as we know it would most probably have collapsed would be a more pressing concern :rolleyes:

Broadband is a luxury not an essential - you can hardly compare the two.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Actually - if you leave it alone for 24 hours before trying to use it you'll pretty much have the Xbox One experience right there.

Huge? check
    Watch TV through it? check
    Watch prerecorded films? check
    Play games? no

It is an Xbox One!!! :D

Yep. Plus I can watch lesbian nurses go wild without having the whole world watching bash the bishop through the kinnect.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A gaming machine would be the least of my worries, our cooker is electric.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had no electricity for 23 days - I think the fact that civilisation as we know it would most probably have collapsed would be a more pressing concern :rolleyes:

Broadband is a luxury not an essential - you can hardly compare the two.

You could have a wiring fault that is just in your home, perhaps due to water damage.. and to fix it might require a week or two of work. Electrics can easily be out for lengthy periods of time. Electricity isn't a human right either. If you have a local problem it's your issue to fix it.

The point i'm making is people are focussing on the online requirement and floating 'what if' scenarios but forgetting that there are other points of failure with any electronic device. As above your electricity could be out. The console itself could fail. Your controller could break. Your TV could have a fault. All would result in "down time" for your gaming experience. It's the nature of the beast. Things will go wrong. To stomp and shout suggesting the internet requirement means you're at a disadvantage is to ignore you already were by using an electronic device. They never have 100% up time. But they have as close as possible to 100%. Your 360 was never bullet proof. The RROD proved that.

Online is the way things are going. There will come a day, and it's not too far off, where game shops on the high street won't exist anymore. You will only be able to obtain games online. That's the future. It's already happening in the PC game market and that's why the PC section in game stores is tiny now. It was already small.. now it's barely noticeable. Online distribution of media is the way it will go. Theres a reason why HMV are in big trouble and why so many other stores like it have gone bust.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Forget the 24 hour check.

All someone has to do is DDOS the Xbox Live infrastructure to take down Xbone gaming worldwide....
    Forum Member
    Online is the way things are going. There will come a day, and it's not too far off, where game shops on the high street won't exist anymore. You will only be able to obtain games online. That's the future. It's already happening in the PC game market and that's why the PC section in game stores is tiny now. It was already small.. now it's barely noticeable. Online distribution of media is the way it will go. Theres a reason why HMV are in big trouble and why so many other stores like it have gone bust.

Yes, I understand. In the future everything will be connected online, even our brains will be connected 24/7 to the cloud!! But we are not there yet.

MSFT are essentially rewriting the rules of how a gaming console should function. This not a PC or steam. Instead of encouraging to go digital, they are plain and simply forcing us to.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I've no issue if you can only download games digitially. The issue is that they need permission from a server to play, rendering them useless at the whim of a manufacturer/publisher.
    Gaming has just become a rental model so I'm out
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    All someone has to do is DDOS the Xbox Live infrastructure to take down Xbone gaming worldwide....

World of Warcraft has roughly 8 million players world wide. They never get DDOS'ed. League of Legends has 32 million monthly players. Online only gaming. It's already here.
    Chparmar wrote: »
    MSFT are essentially rewriting the rules of how a gaming console should function. This not a PC or steam. Instead of encouraging to go digital, they are plain and simply forcing us to.

The traditional gaming console is dead. It's all about a battle for the living room and the key players in this battle are Microsoft, Sony, Apple and on the fringes companies like Valve. Personally i'm not that impressed with the Microsoft offering. But I can see why they're doing what they are. And the others will follow suit with their own solutions to controlling media in the living room. The days of traditional PCs and traditional Gaming Consoles are over.
    Forum Member
    World of Warcraft has roughly 8 million players world wide. They never get DDOS'ed. League of Legends has 32 million monthly players. Online only gaming. It's already here.

The traditional gaming console is dead. It's all about a battle for the living room and the key players in this battle are Microsoft, Sony, Apple and on the fringes companies like Valve. Personally i'm not that impressed with the Microsoft offering. But I can see why they're doing what they are. And the others will follow suit with their own solutions to controlling media in the living room. The days of traditional PCs and traditional Gaming Consoles are over.

If traditional game consoles are dead. Why bother to have a Blu-ray drive at all? Why continue to distribute your games on disc? Just go 100% digital download. It would be so much easier to understand.

Maybe philosophically you think physical media is useless, but certainly not everyone.