Apple.co.uk advertised as "ultrafast" and with the Three logo

Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
Forum Member
✭✭
Wow, looks like Three and Apple have done a deal. On the Apple UK website when you go to the pre-order for any new iPhone 5 it refers to the phone as 'Ultrafast' and even has the Three logo on and is advertising a Three PAYG price plan including unlimited data!

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone5c

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone5s

This could really increase Three's customer base.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow. Three are really getting some clout of late.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I think you're confusing two things together.

-Apple have always referred to "Ultrafast Wireless" as their LTE solution. This has been going on since the iPhone 5 was introduced. It is not a reference to Three's DC-HSPA+ network.
    -Three have officially dropped the "Ultrafast" marketing as i mentioned they would and are now marketing DC-HSPA+ as "Advanced 3G" with their main focus being on the "4G Ready" moniker.
    -Three have been the network of choice for the iPhone for quite some time now usually being shown at the end of TV Adverts or advertised on the website.

So the ultrafast is nothing to do with Three.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right, I have never seen them refer to it as ultrafast before. Quite good to see the Three logo on the pre-order page and a PAYG unlimited data pack at £15 next to the sim only section. I have seen the logo after the TV ads too, it's just good to see.

If you order it on PAYG from Apple you get the Three package it seems.
    Where can I get a micro-SIM or nano-SIM card?
    If you choose Pay as you go when you buy a new iPhone from the Apple Online Store, it will arrive with a micro-SIM or nano-SIM pre-loaded with call minutes, texts and data. Or you can get a micro-SIM or nano-SIM card from any carrier offering iPhone plans.
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Ah right, I have never seen them refer to it as ultrafast before. Quite good to see the Three logo on the pre-order page and a PAYG unlimited data pack at £15 next to the sim only section.

I have seen the logo after the TV ads too, it's just good to see.

Yeh i agree. Three will be the partner of choice once again this year.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is good to see at least Apple got one thing right hehe. Hopefully this boosts customers for Three. I think it's a bit of a shame they dropped ultra fast marketing as it was less confusing for customers who didn't know what 4G properly is. I know it sounds stupid but a fair few people honestly don't know what it is.
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    three is one risky provider
    they look good but not sure if they are actually good
    Forum Member
    sammyvine wrote: »
    three is one risky provider
    they look good but not sure if they are actually good

Risky?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Risky?

poor customer service
    poor reception
    Forum Member
    poor customer service
    poor reception

Well Three's customer service is currently rated higher than EE 4G, Orange and T-Mobile. In fact if you look at Ofcoms customer satisfaction surveys and online polls Three comes out in the middle to top section all the time. So customer service is definitely improving. But tbh all phone networks have pretty crappy customer services apart from O2 in my experience.

Reception is much better than a number of other networks. Three currently have 98% 3G coverage with plans to expand to 99.2% by the end of 2014. 4G coverage is going to be 80% by the end of 2014. That's better than what O2 and Vodafone are quoting so based on those facts alone Three should have the best 3G signal in the country.

Obviously signal varies everywhere and it may just be your area that's bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Three's customer service is currently rated higher than EE 4G, Orange and T-Mobile. In fact if you look at Ofcoms customer satisfaction surveys and online polls Three comes out in the middle to top section all the time. So customer service is definitely improving. But tbh all phone networks have pretty crappy customer services apart from O2 in my experience.

Reception is much better than a number of other networks. Three currently have 98% 3G coverage with plans to expand to 99.2% by the end of 2014. 4G coverage is going to be 80% by the end of 2014. That's better than what O2 and Vodafone are quoting so based on those facts alone Three should have the best 3G signal in the country.

Nope, im on EE but thinking of leaving...for 02 or maybe even three
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the whole we cover xy% is misleading.

I could give most of the UK really poor signal, but can still say I cover them.

What I've found from using 3 is that I rarely get full signal unless I'm in a town centre.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »

What I've found from using 3 is that I rarely get full signal unless I'm in a town centre.

how are you finding three?
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »

Agreed. what the networks quote is population coverage. Not actual land mass coverage. And the percentage includes low signal areas as well.

But still, Three have better overall 3G coverage compared to other operators
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Wow, looks like Three and Apple have done a deal. On the Apple UK website when you go to the pre-order for any new iPhone 5 it refers to the phone as 'Ultrafast' and even has the Three logo on and is advertising a Three PAYG price plan including unlimited data!

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone5c

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-iphone/iphone5s

This could really increase Three's customer base.

It has been like that for a number of weeks now on the apple website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How are they planning get 99.2% 3G coverage [Assume you mean outdoors]. That is even higher that than what they quoting by the end of 2015 for 4G coverage which makes no sense as 4G is a lower spectrum bit puzzling that. It would be amazing if they did manage that by end of next year though. I know that is when MBNL is meant be complete 3G upgrades by but had no idea it was that high a percentage. Hope Three does get that strong 4G signal by end of next year i had expected a slower rollout then that.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    How are they planning get 99.2% 3G coverage [Assume you mean outdoors]. That is even higher that than what they quoting by the end of 2015 for 4G coverage which makes no sense as 4G is a lower spectrum bit puzzling that. It would be amazing if they did manage that by end of next year though. I know that is when MBNL is meant be complete 3G upgrades by but had no idea it was that high a percentage.

I assume i mean outdoors as well. But what i've been told is 99.2% total 3G coverage by the end of 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume i mean outdoors as well. But what i've been told is 99.2% total 3G coverage by the end of 2014.

If they manage that it will be impressive. Certainly no need for 2G backup signal except maybe indoors purely for penetration reasons. But expect it will be fully switched off by then anyway. Specially with 4G in most places by then as well.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Mr Wonk should be in this conversation. Where did he go?
    :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I think you're confusing two things together.

-Apple have always referred to "Ultrafast Wireless" as their LTE solution. This has been going on since the iPhone 5 was introduced. It is not a reference to Three's DC-HSPA+ network.
    -Three have officially dropped the "Ultrafast" marketing as i mentioned they would and are now marketing DC-HSPA+ as "Advanced 3G" with their main focus being on the "4G Ready" moniker.
    -Three have been the network of choice for the iPhone for quite some time now usually being shown at the end of TV Adverts or advertised on the website.

So the ultrafast is nothing to do with Three.

Three are still wanting PAYG where as Voda/EE are trying to get away from it. Can't imagine them getting huge numbers via the Apple store (s) I've heard that people (apple store staff) who buy unlocked sim free 9 times out of 10 have existing contracts. good to see Three making a push though.

All networks are advertised on the Apple TV ads. EE gets a slight preference at the moment though.

Everything you say about Ultrafast is correct. :)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    If they manage that it will be impressive. Certainly no need for 2G backup signal except maybe indoors purely for penetration reasons. But expect it will be fully switched off by then anyway. Specially with 4G in most places by then as well.

That is still only about 82-86 % coverage in NI/Wales/Scotland...
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor customer service
    poor reception

Just bought out my Vodafone contract to switch to Three (only had a couple of months left).
    I bought a Three Sim a week or so ago in order to see whether their network was any good before I switched. The thought of having to go back to Vodafone and their piss poor data connection was awful, so I decided to switch immediatley.

Connection is better than VF where I am, and their data is a hundred times better as it actually works, unlike VF's does.

Customer service isn't brilliant but it's not as bad as Orange's used to be when I was with them.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poor customer service
    poor reception

I don't have to get that one, do I? First you say they have got poor customer service and poor reception and then suddenly you mention you are thinking of moving to Three?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is still only about 82-86 % coverage in NI/Wales/Scotland...

That was a reply to jabbas about 99.2 percentage 3G coverage of the UK by end of 2014 I was saying if they manage make that there will be no need for 2G anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three is the best network in London imo.

If you live in the countryside all networks are rubbish.

Move or deal with it.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three in very rural mid wales offers 3G in my town on the shared mast with EE. O2 and Vodafone still only offer edge. All 4 networks have signal issues throughout the county. It is one of the most rural counties in Wales.

I switched from voda to 3 a few years ago and haven't looked back. I was living in a major city at the time and watched all my colleagues slowly switch and praise the network. So I did and didn't regret it.