Options

Last House On The Left

2»

Comments

• Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    The region 2 dvd I ordered from Play.com, says it is 97 minutes long approx on this site. The Region 1 Unrated edition(got the time off Amazon.com), and is suppose to be uncut, says 100 minutes. So I assume that's the 2 minutes shorter part you mentioned?
  • Options
    danwestondanweston Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    The region 2 dvd I ordered from Play.com, says it is 97 minutes long approx on this site. The Region 1 Unrated edition(got the time off Amazon.com), and is suppose to be uncut, says 100 minutes. So I assume that's the 2 minutes shorter part you mentioned?

It's not always best to rely on the times stated on the cases as they are not always right.

The unrated version will be uncut.
    The BBFC site should say if the UK version is cut.

However - 18 rated films are rarely cut these days compared to even 10 years ago.

Most cut films are usually edited to get a lower certificate but distributors always have the option of an uncut rating if they want ( except for a handful of films still cut for an 18)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just looked up the BBFC and it says it was passed with no cuts. Yay.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    Rhodes666 wrote: »
    Original owns this remake,i didnt find krug or any of his gang as menacing as david hess in the original,if u have seen the remake trailer theres no need to see the movie as it gives away the ending,kinnda stupid of whoever made the trailer,worst thing about the movie is the fact that
    one of the girls survives

see the original 1st its a much better movie and very shocking in parts.

Ps mistygirl,u can view the full uncut version of the original on youtube,itll prob get taken down soon so id see it while u can.it has all the missing scenes.

Thanks I will tune in now:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Just saw the remake tonight (did a double bill with 'The Hangover'. Rape and comedy! quite an unlikely mix, lol). I was quite surprised at how good it actually was, the rape scene was pretty uncomfortable to watch, and i thought Garett Dillahunt was suitably menacing (he seems to be getting typecast in this type of role though!). Great film, i'll never look at a microwave the same again!:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's the only part of the trailer I thought looked extremely dumb, the microwave part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the only part of the trailer I thought looked extremely dumb, the microwave part.

Is that in the trailer? :confused: Major spoiler or what? I didn't see the point of tacking that bit on at the end, and anyway I didn't think microwaves worked with the door open.
  • Options
    cheekscheeks Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a pointless remake in my opinion....

the original had a lot of charm and humour but this was just clinical, murder by numbers...Kruq was about as menacing as Cain Dingle......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    danweston wrote: »
    It's not always best to rely on the times stated on the cases as they are not always right

Not to mention that the speed of the film is actually quicker in the UK with 25fps as opposed to the US's NTSC speed of 24fps, this is usually why American DVD's have slightly longer runtimes than the UK version. So the US version saying 100 mins and the UK version saying 97 mins is probably about right, and doesn't mean that it is cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that in the trailer? Major spoiler or what? I didn't see the point of tacking that bit on at the end, and anyway I didn't think microwaves worked with the door open.

Yep, one of the first trailers to come out had it in, I don't think you could make out who was in it though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was one of the best horror films I've seen the past few years...theres about a 10 minute segment in the middle thats difficult to watch but the rest just makes you anxious rather than scares you...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got back from watching this, and it was excellent! I was half expecting to see your average run-of-the-mill 'slasher in the woods' that we've been stuck with over the last ten years. but I was pleasantly surprised.

There's a few bits that are quite disturbing to watch, but once it gets to the revenge part - it's fantastic.

Gets an 8.5/10 from me
  • Options
    Steve AWOLSteve AWOL Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this at the weekend and thought it was an ok horror thriller. Found most of the characters annoying rather than likeable or menacing but the scene that set the revenge into motion was harrowing viewing. Unfortunately the movie finished with a bit of a whimper that was comically bad. 6/10

Guess I'd better check out the original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just finished watching the original film (uncut version), and i was really disappointed with it. It wasn't nearly as shocking as it's made out to be. Yes, the rape scene is nasty (rape of any kind is), but imo the rape scene in the 2009 version was more uncomfortable to watch and thus more shocking. The acting in the remake was also much better (the mother and father finding the daughters dead body in the original nearly made me laugh, where was the emotion at discovering their dead daughter??). Also, the characters were more fleshed out in the remake and it seemed more believable. I'm sorry, but the remake is infinitely superior and i fail to see how people could call the original a "masterpiece". I can understand that it was probably "good" back in the day, but the remake just changed the film for the better (imo of course). Not to mention that the whimsical music that was played throughout it and the dim witted cops adventures totally ruined any atmosphere of menace, never once did i feel tense.

Maybe if i'd watched it first before seeing the remake i might have appreciated it more but i think this was one film that was in need of a remake (and i'm normally someone who loathes remakes...).