Options

Linda's Reaction...EE

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
Forum Member
✭✭
Its 2014 so why is Linda so upset that her youngest son is gay?

Comments

• Options
    SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very realistic reaction i thought. Not everyone can instantly start jumping for joy when they find out their son is gay. She will take time to come round but she eventually will
  • Options
    nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is upset because she thought she knew her son. Turns out she doesnt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when I came out- My Sister screamed at me and said it was unnatural and wrong, my Mum said it was not natural but came around and my Dad was brilliant- very accepting.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

If that was the case then why are some people still scared to come out? Why dont football players come out or hollywood actors if its 2014?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I think it's fairly common... my mum had a similar reaction.
  • Options
    BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not crying because he's gay - she's crying because she loves him and realises she never really knew him at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree with the other posts. Probably because she is so close to him and didn't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If that was the case then why are some people still scared to come out? Why dont football players come out or hollywood actors if its 2014?

good post.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a stupid stereotype that fathers 'can't accept it' and mothers 'embrace it with open arms'. Women can be bigoted too.
  • Options
    KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's 2014"

Oh right, tell that to Russia, Uganda and India.

It may well be 2014. Society may have come on leaps and bounds, but there are still plenty of homophobic messages out there. Still elements of society who hate gays, who don't believe gays should have any rights. Countries are in the news everyday criminalising homosexuality, yes in 2014! Churches are speaking out against homosexuality.

This is of course balanced by the breakthroughs in gay rights, marriage equality, adoption etc. People fall on different sides of the fence. The great thing is we don't know why Linda feels the way she does, but I do imagine she will come round.

I think it's refreshing for once, to see a father and son coming out scene, and the mother struggling a bit. It will all be ok. It's part of the "getting to know the new family" phase of the Carters.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    It was almost as if someone had died.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right from childhood I've failed to understand why there was ever an issue with falling in love with the same sex to begin with. My mom says it's because of the sexual aspect. I'm asexual myself but I am romantically attracted only to the same sex so my case is slightly different and maybe easier to understand. If Linda feels let down because she thought she knew her son and feels hurt that he hid it all this time, I understand that but being in a minority is really hard, especially since the majority fall in love with the opposite sex so it's assumed that you do too unless you correct the assumption.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say Johnny's coming out was really well done I think his mums reaction was realistic she`s just afraid what others will think of her golden boy. Danny dyer surprised me
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when I came out- My Sister screamed at me and said it was unnatural and wrong, my Mum said it was not natural but came around and my Dad was brilliant- very accepting.

Aww :( At least your dad was accepting and your mom came round.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a stupid stereotype that fathers 'can't accept it' and mothers 'embrace it with open arms'. Women can be bigoted too.

Its a stereotype created by straight men!

You will find tonights coming out scene is probably one of the most realistic shown on TV. The fact it was produced by a gay man and written by a gay writer is why it was so realistic. From my own experience its always the mothers have the strongest reaction to their sons being gay. It doesn't mean they are bigots or homophobic. Its a reaction drawn out of fear for what abuse her son might now receive. Its just the way it is. The need to protect.

I loved Mick's line about noticing 'stuff'. Another great piece of realistic writing. Dads always know before the mothers. Trust me.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see Linda reaction as normal and quite realistic. Linda is not anti gay but as the way society is, as a parent you want a life where your child doesn't have to face bigots and homophobic morons of the world.

All a parent wants is for their child to have a easy life.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    initially, I wondered the same thing. Then I thought it would be because she realised she didn't know her son as well as she thought - like what the people above said.
  • Options
    SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loss of status can also play a part although most parents wouldn't admit to feeling that way.
    Having a gay child implies social failure in a heterosexist society.
  • Options
    mwig5mwig5 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I see Linda reaction as normal and quite realistic. Linda is not anti gay but as the way society is, as a parent you want a life where your child doesn't have to face bigots and homophobic morons of the world.

All a parent wants is for their child to have a easy life.

agree 100%
  • Options
    nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of you are just looking for a reason to complain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww :( At least your dad was accepting and your mom came round.

My Parents have been amazing.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was very natural myself- as pointed out above, she believed that she truly knew her son and was so heartbroken when she discovered his secret (case in point being when she said she brought one person up right). That said, she is also a very traditional woman so it would be a shock to the system. Both her and Mick still love Johnny and will accept it- its just that Linda was closer to him and so feels betrayed
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol!! Not everyone is gunna be like 'oh it's 2014, no reason to be upset!' Lol

Besides not everyone feels that being gay is right and they shouldnt be criticised for it, the same as any other feeling or belief
  • Options
    ClassicGarfieldClassicGarfield Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beaconboof wrote: »
    She's not crying because he's gay - she's crying because she loves him and realises she never really knew him at all.

I agree. It's very sad. Not just for his family but also for Johnny. I also agree with everyone saying that it was a very realistic reaction from his mum.
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones who find it hard to understand that parents find it difficult to understand that there kids are gay, are probably homosexual themselves. Just cant handle the absorption