CS: Terrible treatment for an original great character - Dennis Tanner

callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
Forum Member
✭✭
What a stupid idiotic exit. Who wrote this? Well whoever did do not respect the character. I know he has always been a rogue, but that was just awful especially as he didn't seem to have a care in the world. Rushed, badly written exit. What a waste for Philip Lowrie and Sue Johnston. Dennis' axing was an idiotic decision, not only is he an original created by Tony Warren but seeing as we are having problems with Ken Barlow it was great having him in the street.

Seriously stop axing the great actors and get in some decent new writers. And this is yet another separation in the past few months with the husband deserting his partner, now we must endure Rita's pain for the next few weeks.

Sorry for the rant, but what a pathetic end.

Comments

• SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the fixation on getting rid but not really? Tiny Fireman tried to leave but came back then left for good, Tina went to that London then she's back, we think we're getting rid of Soup Kitchen/Sponger/Dennis but we're not? He must go. What a wasted opportunity that whole fiasco was. I am looking forward to seeing Rita miserable, though.:)
    I agree, all these faux-exits are very annoying. They need to just have characters leave and be done with it. Stop messing viewers around.
  • ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On This Morning [I think it was last week] Sharon Marshall showed a clip of Gloria and Dennis leaving then she said ...
    don't worry he'll be back. She didn't say for how long though
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does he come back for? There is no way Rita will take him back after that.
  • johnhughjohnhugh Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    There are some good writers on CS but they are only as good as their producers and are told what needs to happen within the episode.

I would imagine he will not be killed off, but why do another, Tina and pretend that was his last episode when he will be coming back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    It was a pathetic exit (but found it equally hilarious too) but disagree with the rest of your post, I couldn't care less that he's gone. I thought it was a terrible idea to bring him back and he's been an awful character too.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :pHe was just a joke character anyway. His marriage to Rita was about as convincing as Marcus and Maria being 'in love'.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an awful exit.
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Stuart Blackburn, the sooner Corrie get rid of him the better
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,429
    Forum Member
    Why on earth did they let Dennis and Rita get married if he was only short term?

In true Dennis Tanner style, he would have been more interested in someone like Liz, not Rita.

As others have pointed out, there was great potential in the character as far as his past history was concerned that has been completely wasted.

I guess he will end up back on the streets where he came in. Total waste. >:(
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a stupid idiotic exit. Who wrote this? Well whoever did do not respect the character. I know he has always been a rogue, but that was just awful especially as he didn't seem to have a care in the world. Rushed, badly written exit. What a waste for Philip Lowrie and Sue Johnston. Dennis' axing was an idiotic decision, not only is he an original created by Tony Warren but seeing as we are having problems with Ken Barlow it was great having him in the street.

Seriously stop axing the great actors and get in some decent new writers. And this is yet another separation in the past few months with the husband deserting his partner, now we must endure Rita's pain for the next few weeks.

>:(
    :(
    :(
  • Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the exit was rubbish, however I agree with the decision by corrie to axe the character. They should never have brought him back.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soullover wrote: »
    :pHe was just a joke character anyway. His marriage to Rita was about as convincing as Marcus and Maria being 'in love'.

:D

Spot on comparison too.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    100% agree
  • Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree op
  • NathanJohnsonNathanJohnson Posts: 2,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fully agree with you. Plus they missed out opportunities like exploring him being homeless or finding out what happened to his family. He had a sister and two nephews, but never got to find out what became of them. Very sad. I think the actress who played Linda was up for a return as well.
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My thoughts exactly. Well put Callum.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he gone for good though? His exit date in the DS movers section is down as Summer 2014 and Gloria as now.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/sitenews/a130011/soaplands-joiners-movers-and-leavers.html

They've made his character an absolute ass hole and Gloria as a home wrecker!!!!
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must come back then.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Rubbish indeed but glad these two awful characters have finally gone.
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Stuart Blackburn, the sooner Corrie get rid of him the better

Agreed Tom. Another producer is needed i'm afraid. I've watched Corrie since the '70's and the writing at the moment on some story lines is lazy and ridiculous. The way tonight's episode ended was pathetic, the shiny car, the headscarf, and a pathetic Dennis jumping in the car with a ridiculous line to his "wife". Makes my blood boil! >:(
  • Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I can't say I'm upset he's gone... he's been a complete waste of a character. The producers had over forty years of unseen history to come up with and they never brought in any children or anything. If anything, bringing in children (born in the 1970s/1980s?) could've given him more ties to the street. Say he had a daughter born in the late 70's, she could've been a love interest for Steve or he could have had a son who dated Leanne...

Endless possibilities, all of which would have made him a lot more than a spare part and Rita's lapdog.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know he was going so soon, must watch
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the whole opportunity has been wasted. Lowrie is a decent actor, and there was so much potential for discovering what had happened during his absence... His sister Linda could have popped back, and Jenny, his ex-wife, and presumably some children. He could even have palled up with Jed Stone occasionally, as they knew each other in the 60s. Dennis was a loveable rogue in the 1960s, he could have fulfilled just the same role. It's a pity the production and writing around his character have been so lazy and slapdash. Although he wasn't given a huge amount to do under Collinson, Blackburn seems determined to destroy anything Collinson started in order to stamp his mark on the show. It's such a pity to lose an original cast member, who is still fit and strong, and could have been a lovely link to the past for several years more. The current long-timers (Roache and Derbyshire) won't last forever, and the (slightly) younger Lowrie could have kept the link alive for a little longer.
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious if the people who say he should never have come back have seen his 1960s episodes?

I loved his comeback at the time, not least because there was still a lot of mileage in the character when Philip Lowrie left originally. Tying Rita into his return was a clever move but after that they should have stayed friends, and introduced a new younger generation of Tanners with Dennis as the irresponsible grandpa. Corrie could have reconnected with its comic roots, and a new Elsie would have gone down well if written properly. Sadly Dennis's comeback has been a succession of 'what ifs' but that doesn't mean the idea to bring him back was a bad one.

To be honest, Digital Spy is weird when it comes to soaps anyway, the general opinions seem to be the opposite of what I read everywhere else.
  • andrewd_1984andrewd_1984 Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posted twice elsewhere but this was just so shocking, so incredibly awful on so many levels, it was almost breathtaking to behold.

They spent months building up Dennis and Rita. Everything leading up to the episode's final moments was a contrivance - a way of writing out Gloria and Dennis.

And the way he smugly chuckled as he waved her goodbye shows the writers either didn't grasp or didn't care about all the groundwork everyone - writers, production staff, the actors - had put into that relationship. Shocking.