Is now a good time to buy shares in Tesco?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Their share price has halved since 1 year ago.

Surely it will go back up after they steady the ship again? Maybe not to the original peak a year a go, but should increase at least 25%?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wait until after their next trading statement that includes the Christmas sales. If those sales are bad, the share price will dive.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warren buffet tips on investing.

Would you buy all of tescos at its current price?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkH-vR2IR_E
  • steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco owns less than half its land/stores. It leases the rest
    This could spell even bigger trouble for Tesco in the future
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES!
    Buy mine!!
    Please, please. Pretty please with sugar on top?
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. My old man has been buying and selling shares all his adult life and I asked about this recently. Supermarket shares in general are not a good investment; if you read the business press the Tescos, Morrisons, Sainsburys and Asdas are all suffering; shopping habits are changing.

Believe me, if Warren Buffett thought things would improve, he wouldn't have sold up as he did.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looks like the stock prices still have further to fall. The big 4 are going through a major shake-up and there's more turmoil ahead. The legacy of the bad trading in electronics and catalogue goods is coming home to roost. There's still more pain to come on that score. Consumers are getting wise to- or bored of- cheap shoddy Chinese goods; that market is bottoming out as the Chinese home market gets stronger. The store expansion schemes have run out of steam, and public sentiment is turning against Tesco in particular for trying to be everywhere at the expense of local businesses.

The Tesco group is looking at selling of a chuck of its profitable but under-performing banking arm. That idea was revealed in the Annual Report. It's also looking for buyers for it's failed competitor to Netflix/LoveFilm. It has fingers in other bad tasting pies too. Dobbies Garden Centres, there a coffee shop chain and Tesco's private airline is up for sale too. All of this on top of an SFO investigation for accounting irregularities doesn't add up to pleasant reading for the firm.

I'd be amazed if the shares didn't fall further before we see some recovery.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think about buying into Tesco recently but as others have said it looks as if it has further to fall. One of my favourite investing methods is to buy shares in companies which are fundamentally solid but are going through a temporary bad patch. I made some good money by buying Barclays just after the banking crash and BP after Deepwater Horizon.

I'm sure Tesco will recover in time but it is going to be a tough next few years for them