Where are the colour ereaders?!!

MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
Forum Member
I remember a few years ago watching colour ereader prototypes on BBC Click and YouTube. They looked almost ready to go to market. The step beyond that, which also seemed to be coming fast, were the foldable ereaders, the saviours of the newspaper and magazine market. About 3 or 4 years on and we're whooping about having illuminated monochrome screens like the Paperwhite and Glolight. That's way behind the tech curve!! What went wrong and where is the next gen?!

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't see the use of colour e-readers. Yes it would be nice to see book covers in colour, but wn LCD screen will always be better than an e-ink display for newspapers and magazines.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Personally I don't see the use of colour e-readers. Yes it would be nice to see book covers in colour, but wn LCD screen will always be better than an e-ink display for newspapers and magazines.
    Colour e-ink will probably be better for mags and comics. The speculation is that Amazon will release its first colour Kindle ereaders next year.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Colour e-ink will probably be better for mags and comics. The speculation is that Amazon will release its first colour Kindle ereaders next year.

I still don't think a colour E-ink screen can beat an lcd display for reading mags and comics. The refresh rates are too low. However maybe we will see a colour e-ink device soon.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There had been rumours already we got Fire. I think there isn't a serious demand for colour eInk reader, books are b&w and if there are any pictures worth looking at, one gets it in print.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally will only upgrade my kindle if it breaks or if colour e-ink version is available. I have been waiting for quite a while. Cook books, graphic novels/comics, newspapers, children's books with nice colourful illustrations will all look better with e-ink such as the Triton technology.

But I only think they will seriously think about colour e-ink once all the other gimmicky tech has been exhausted.