Amy and Rose

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
Forum Member
Just a quick thought that entered my head but if Amy Pond falls for the Doctor, which seems to be a running trend apart from Donna, Wilf and all the 'companions' in the special eps, and then suddenly Amy has to leave. Do you think we will get a repeat of what happened with Rose and the Doctor? so any companion who takes Amy's place will get abuse and accusations of being rubbish, unworthy etc

I know SM is a clever writer based on 'Blink' and other episodes but i hope he's smart enough not to go down that route. I didnt mind it the first time round (though Rose came back too many times) i just dont want to see it again.

Comments

• lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not. The Doctor will do well not to steal another girlfriend :P

We don't want and won't get another "Bad Wolf". That's a RTD thing but I do think we'll get a conclusion to the Time War saga. I think we'll be seeing the Time Lords back again sooner or later.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soap-Star wrote: »
    Just a quick thought that entered my head but if Amy Pond falls for the Doctor, which seems to be a running trend apart from Donna, Wilf and all the 'companions' in the special episodes
    So, two out of about half a dozen. So not really a running trend, then?

I doubt you have cause to worry. I don't think Moffat's that dumb.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about Eleven/Amy, but I expect there will be some kind of romance in the show as Moffat seems to like writing it. Renette and River Song both have relationships with the Doctor (and Jack to an extent :D) And in the Doctor-Lite, Moffat wrote a nice flirty relationship between Sally and Billy, and then with Larry. Personally I hope it's not going to be Eleven/Amy because it will be a bit repetitive, but maybe Moffat might pull it off. I think that SM might concentrate on establishing River/Eleven though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member

3 if you count Astrid.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Poster wrote: »
    3 if you count Astrid.

4 counting Jack :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    4 counting Jack :)

Absolutely not.

Jack fancies The Doctor but such feelings are NOT reciprocated. :p
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The question was about companions falling for the Doctor wasn't it? In which case, Jack did!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case... 4 Counting Jack. :o
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Although it's also about the Doctor being a b*tch to the next one cos he's still mooning over the last, so we're both right! ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they don't go down that route again, I can understand why it was done with Rose but I wouldn't like to have a repeat of it in the near future. I like The Doctor to be eccentric and 'alien', having him fall in love left, right and centre takes that away somewhat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I think the love aspect has been overused in Doctor Who lately when really it's about a lonely man who travels in time and space looking for adventure. It's the eccentricities like taking delight in danger (e.g.that we see in The Unquiet Dead) which is in stark contrast to the likes of John Smith who couldn't understand why The Doctor wouldn't think of falling in love as a consequence of making himself human.
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap-Star wrote: »
    and then suddenly Amy has to leave. Do you think we will get a repeat of what happened with Rose and the Doctor? so any companion who takes Amy's place will get abuse and accusations of being rubbish, unworthy etc

She'll leave anyway the companions don't have much of a shelf life. Things get repetitive. She'll stay, if she's lucky, two series. Although if I'm betting I'd say she'll be there one and then go part time in the second or something.

However if they continue like the Tennant/Ecces era then none of the characters will really leave until the end of Smith's era which will be what:3 years.
  • poppycodpoppycod Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with this completely.
    Moffat is not stupid enough to do this sort of sub-plot again.

One of the biggest tragedies of RTD's tenure was that he retro-fitted an unrequited romance between Sarah Jane and The Doctor - one that had not even a whiff of a hint throughout her entire run on the original show.

That Sarah Jane fell in love with the Doc was as absurd as it was unnecessary and forced. When they first met the Doc was a chap in his 50s and she was 20+. Their relationship was more father/daughter at first and this style of relationship persisted even after he became Tom Baker.

The suggestion by RTD that all young female companions fall in love with the Doc was annoying and pathetic. :mad:
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppycod wrote: »

One of the biggest tragedies of RTD's tenure was that he retro-fitted an unrequited romance between Sarah Jane and The Doctor - one that had not even a whiff of a hint throughout her entire run on the original show.

That Sarah Jane fell in love with the Doc was as absurd as it was unnecessary and forced. When they first met the Doc was a chap in his 50s and she was 20+. Their relationship was more father/daughter at first and this style of relationship persisted even after he became Tom Baker.

The suggestion by RTD that all young female companions fall in love with the Doc was annoying and pathetic. :mad:
    Agree completely. a transparent attempt to turn the Doctor into a romantic lead, by a writer who couldn't believe the show couldn't survive without being that formulaic.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn RTD and his straight agenda.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with most of what you say except that I feel the 4th Doctor/Sarah relationship was more of good friends. He was quite happy to let her wander off at times and do her own thing whereas Pertwee's Doctor was ore protective of her
  • georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dobsy wrote: »
    Damn RTD and his straight agenda.

BARROWMAN!!! *shakes fist*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    I don't know about Eleven/Amy, but I expect there will be some kind of romance in the show as Moffat seems to like writing it. Renette and River Song both have relationships with the Doctor (and Jack to an extent :D) And in the Doctor-Lite, Moffat wrote a nice flirty relationship between Sally and Billy, and then with Larry. Personally I hope it's not going to be Eleven/Amy because it will be a bit repetitive, but maybe Moffat might pull it off. I think that SM might concentrate on establishing River/Eleven though.

Lamey. (Geddit :cool:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I never got the sense that she was in love with him ever. Sad about her time being over and wistful and in love with the past (as people tend to get) BUT I never sensed she was in love with the DR (in a romantic sense anyway).

Rose was in love with the DR. She got her mortal Dr in the end.

Martha, as was made very clear early on, came from a bit of a messed up family (as only the middle class do it) and she desperately wanted someone to love her. Hence her unrequited love thing. Which kind of ties in with the end that she got (that the relaltionship she ended up with was balanced and reciprocal)

And Donna would never have loved the Dr in a million years. For her it was about proving to herself that she was worth something, and then of course she forgot it all but whatever.

Seeing as the new doctor and his companion are both very young. Their world will probably be more akin to life in a student flat (kidding)
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I didn't get romantic love from Sarah Jane either.

I think they did make out that the relationship she had with the Doctor was of greater importance to her than it seemed in the 1970's but I don't think they intended or portrayed it as a romantic love.

I think the idea was more, how do you go back to a normal life, of going to work and paying the bills after this kind of life with the Doctor. The fear was more what do you do after getting left behind than anything else.

Surely the Doctors relationship with Rose has underlined he's not a romantic lead - at the end of the day he told her he couldn't give her what she wanted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shya100 wrote: »
    Am I never got the sense that she was in love with him ever. Sad about her time being over and wistful and in love with the past (as people tend to get) BUT I never sensed she was in love with the DR (in a romantic sense anyway).

There was no need to being back Sarah Jane at all in "School Reunion". I found the episode trite, cringeworthy and over-sentimental. It was only redeemed by K9 and his phasering the monsters routine!

Why did RTD want to bring back Sarah Jane surely one of the blandest companions. The previous attempt at giving her her own show failed and from what I have seen Liz SLaden hasn't improved as an actress much in the intervening 27 years or so.

And then if that was not all we get this schmaltzy side story of deep, deep regret and sorrow from Sarah Jane about being left on Earth (she chose to after the Eldrad incident, actually).

Watching that episode again it is clear that the writer (?) decided to insinuate that Sarah Jane did have a bit of a crush on the Doc.
    Just pathetic. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't get romantic love from Sarah Jane either.

I think they did make out that the relationship she had with the Doctor was of greater importance to her than it seemed in the 1970's but I don't think they intended or portrayed it as a romantic love.

I think the idea was more, how do you go back to a normal life, of going to work and paying the bills after this kind of life with the Doctor. The fear was more what do you do after getting left behind than anything else.

Thats exactly it! Sarah Jane loved the travelling etc and there was a nostalgic rose tinted glow to the life. And she always kept a part of that wander lust with her too (choice of career) but in the end she choose to have a child and a normalish life above the Dr.
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Surely the Doctors relationship with Rose has underlined he's not a romantic lead - at the end of the day he told her he couldn't give her what she wanted.

Yeah exactly and I think that Rose was in love with th DR and in that sense the writers were boxed in to a corner with her. She would never have left him ever. It was never really the adventure that she seemed to lust after. It was him.

Martha was all about that way of life. She left the Dr and she continued in that line of life: UNIT, Torchwood, Free lance and I think it was interesting that she married the other character who found the travelling interesting, and from a species and mechanical point of view stimulating. But from the travellign point of view long term: he turned it down time and again.

It was interesting that those two were the only ones of the current 'family' to return to 'normal' earth life; married, house/apartment, bills, groceries, whatever but yet there was still that adventure lust about them: with their jobs.

Donna's left out of this: she forgot. But I don't think she's have ever left him either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did RTD want to bring back Sarah Jane surely one of the blandest companions. The previous attempt at giving her her own show failed and from what I have seen Liz SLaden hasn't improved as an actress much in the intervening 27 years or so.

And then if that was not all we get this schmaltzy side story of deep, deep regret and sorrow from Sarah Jane about being left on Earth (she chose to after the Eldrad incident, actually).

Watching that episode again it is clear that the writer (?) decided to insinuate that Sarah Jane did have a bit of a crush on the Doc.

See above about the rose tinted view of that carefree adventurous time.

And I thought it provided a nice link with the past series and she isn't in it that much. Just shows up for the family reunions so to speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no need to being back Sarah Jane at all in "School Reunion". I found the episode trite, cringeworthy and over-sentimental. It was only redeemed by K9 and his phasering the monsters routine!

Brought back because she had consistently topped polls before 2005 of the most popular companion. In fact she was so popular at the time that her leaving the show was announced on the BBC news..something that has only ever happened to the Doctor himself
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidG_UK wrote: »
    Brought back because she had consistently topped polls before 2005 of the most popular companion. In fact she was so popular at the time that her leaving the show was announced on the BBC news..something that has only ever happened to the Doctor himself

RTD succumbs to populism over actually creating good characters.