New Formula 1 deal - Sky and BBC

Comments

• Gerry WicklowGerry Wicklow Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you hear the millions a young driver needs to get into the sport (as discussed on air today) you'd have to wonder if the whole things is getting too greedy. Is Bernie looking for too much for UK rights?
    Although I've followed F1 for about 40 years, I'm damned if I'd pay Sky for it. If only there was an FTA HD sat up there. I suppose like many more I'll have to brush up on my German :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    peter05 wrote: »
    i don't think we can blame the bbc but we can blame sky & f1 for being so greedy, so i think we will just have to support moter sport on other fta channels & show sky & f1 we don't need them formula renault & formula 3 are very good
    Sorry but I completely disagree with that. I will miss F1 next year, but I am in no way peeved with Sky. It's a free market and they have every right to go after what they want, to the benefit of Sky customers - who have a CHOICE of paying for a service. The BBC on the other hand have completely shafted it's F1 viewers by dropping coverage, while still coming at us with an open hand (and the iron fist of the state) expecting us to continue to pay the same mandatory fee every year just so we can have a TV in our house, yet alone watch the output of other broadcasters (including Sky).

This is why I can't stand anything state run or public sector.
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flyboy78 wrote: »
    Sorry but I completely disagree with that. I will miss F1 next year, but I am in no way peeved with Sky. It's a free market and they have every right to go after what they want, to the benefit of Sky customers - who have a CHOICE of paying for a service. The BBC on the other hand have completely shafted it's F1 viewers by dropping coverage, while still coming at us with an open hand (and the iron fist of the state) expecting us to continue to pay the same mandatory fee every year just so we can have a TV in our house, yet alone watch the output of other broadcasters (including Sky).

sorry but you can't blame the bbc, they don't get all your tvl the goverment do & then they give the bbc some money less & less each year & the money f1 wanted was just too much for the bbc to afford, on the other hand sky can charge what they like & will in years to come for f1,I too would like the bbc to be independant but that would be another thread
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The main points of the BBC (in my mind at least) is to provide competition enough to keep commercial channels on their toes, not letting them become complacent, and to cater to niche audiences that nobody else would do because there's no money in it. Currently at least, F1 or no F1, (I don't know about what will happen after the BBC's budget review), they perform both of those tasks admirably.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I am in no way peeved with Sky. It's a free market and they have every right to go after what they want, to the benefit of Sky customers
    So you are not peeved with Sky for applying undue pressure in various ways on the governement to restrict the activities of the BBC?
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a free market and they have every right to go after what they want, to the benefit of Sky customers -

NO IT'S NOT. They have no right to take away pleasure from the masses for a few rich shareholders.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    NO IT'S NOT. They have no right to take away pleasure from the masses for a few rich shareholders.:(

they won't be taking it away from me:D:D :sorry could not resist
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    If you get a fransat box , its the french version of freesat with HD channels, one being TF1 HD that shows F1 live and in HD !
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they won't be taking it away from me

They are not taking it away from anyone else that doesn't live in the UK either. :rolleyes:

You don't even pay the UK TVL so I am not entirely sure what your motive is for complaining about F1 going to Sky
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    If you get a fransat box , its the french version of freesat with HD channels, one being TF1 HD that shows F1 live and in HD !

Fransat HD Set Top Box and Card Only - £269

Would be cheaper to watch it on Sky with English language coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    They are not taking it away from anyone else that doesn't live in the UK either. :rolleyes:

Thatas what I said didn't I:D
    Forum Member
    I dont see how your maths add up, you must be paying £25.00 a month especially with HD service thats £300 a year . How can it be cheaper tied up to contract with sky !
  • cycliccyclic Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Fransat HD Set Top Box and Card Only - £269
    coverage.

HD with pvr capability - 195 euro at amazon
    http://www.amazon.fr/Fransat-Hd-Balmet-Starcom-Hd-Fransat--Decodeur/dp/B004Y634XG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323022871&sr=8-1-fkmr0
    Forum Member
    The point being that we use to watch it for free and in English.

Paying 195 Euros is still more and in French*

If you are going to pay out 100s you may as well watch it on Sky in English.

* As much as I like the French language, I don't want to watch F1 in it!
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point being that we use to watch it for free and in English.

Why not find a friend with Sky and use one of their two allowable devices for Sky Go?
    Forum Member
    theres a simple remedy , just turn the sound down and put radio 5 live on
  • cycliccyclic Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    If you are going to pay out 100s you may as well watch it on Sky

Surely the real point is that Bernie has clicked that virtually all will just withdraw from F1 rather than be mugged?
    Forum Member
    theres a simple remedy , just turn the sound down and put radio 5 live on

That is what many are going to do, but with RTL on 19.2e. It's only SD but it's free!
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humid wrote: »

Shareholders such as the BBC Pension Fund amongst many others - pension and other similar investment funds comprise the largest group of shareholders in BSkyB.

Would those masses be willing to pay an increased license fee to make up the shortcoming in BBC funds that make them unable to afford to provide full F1 live coverage for a minority of their viewers? It was also those masses who allowed this present government into power who restricted the funds available to the BBC. Note also that they are not being fully deprived they have half the races live together with a delayed highlights coverage of the rest of the races.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shareholders such as the BBC Pension Fund amongst many others - pension and other similar investment funds comprise the largest group of shareholders in BSkyB.

Would those masses be willing to pay an increased license fee to make up the shortcoming in BBC funds that make them unable to afford to provide full F1 live coverage for a minority of their viewers? It was also those masses who allowed this present government into power who restricted the funds available to the BBC. Note also that they are not being fully deprived they have half the races live together with a delayed highlights coverage of the rest of the races.

you should be carefull how you say those masses it makes it sound like your not one of them:mad::mad:
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should be carefull how you say those masses it makes it sound like your not one of them:mad::mad:
    How do you know he is one of them? He may well have voted labour and have no interest in F1.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you should be carefull how you say those masses it makes it sound like your not one of them

Well you aren't one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    Well you aren't one of them.

how rude
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyclic wrote: »

Plus P&P from France. F1 on Sky in HD - £10.25pm
  • PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foxla wrote: »
    Plus P&P from France. F1 on Sky in HD - £10.25pm

WRONG! F1 on Sky in HD, but interrupted by adverts, except the race - £30.25. You have to have at least the entertainment package.