Options

Rage Against The Machine-y Facebook Group - By supporters of Nick Clegg

SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=113749985304255&ref=mf

It can't possibly work its growing at the same rate as the previous one did, they've pledged to register and vote vote Lib Dem.

Can it? I mean he's obviously appealing to us youths, but it won't work..will it?

Comments

• Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=113749985304255&ref=mf

It can't possibly work its growing at the same rate as the previous one did, they've pledged to register and vote vote Lib Dem.

Can it? I mean he's obviously appealing to us youths, but it won't work..will it?

No because you physically have to walk to the polling station and vote in a booth. Pledging to vote online can not be assumed as actually voting in person!
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to vote liberal democrat but I noticed a stuck up **** from my 'network' is on there so it put me right off.
  • Options
    MagicMonkeyMagicMonkey Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    I was going to vote liberal democrat but I noticed a stuck up **** from my 'network' is on there so it put me right off.

LOL don't you only add friends, why are enemies on your network?
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL don't you only add friends, why are enemies on your network?

It will place people you might know in a visible position on the groups friendlist.

Your network aint your friends, it is people who you studied, worked,volunteered with or apparantly.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully these people are too young to vote, they are treating this as a game and it isn't.
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    No because you physically have to walk to the polling station and vote in a booth. Pledging to vote online can not be assumed as actually voting in person!
    My thoughts exactly :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've joined, but only because I was going to vote Lib Dem anyway :D

Wonder what Mr Clegg makes of it.
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is way Democracy can be a dangerous thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    This is way Democracy can be a dangerous thing

Why? Its just another way to campaign for your party of choice.

Its silly to assume that this FB campaign will actually work. But its no different to putting leaflets through doors for your candidate of choice, or debating issues on forums such as these to try to persuade people to your point of view.
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Why? Its just another way to campaign for your party of choice.

Its silly to assume that this FB campaign will actually work. But its no different to putting leaflets through doors for your candidate of choice, or debating issues on forums such as these to try to persuade people to your point of view.
    Do you really think the facebook members, even majority of voters, have considered all the parties policies?

As a previous post said, this facebook group is an example of how some people are viewing the upcoming election, like a X-Factor type competition. It's barbaric!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you really think the facebook members, even majority of voters, have considered all the parties policies?

As a previous post said, this facebook group is an example of how some people are viewing the upcoming election, like a X-Factor type competition. It's barbaric!

I see what you are saying, and I can see the reasoning behind it.

Lets face it though, a lot of people complain that the turnout is not good enough, so if this increases the turnout, especially amongst young people, I don't think they can really then complain about that.

If you look at the Facebook page, it is talking policy. Its not just "vote lib dem vote lib dem", there are plenty of links so that people can read what the Party is all about. Lots of encouragement for people to register to vote as well.

Ok, so it focuses on one particular Party and its leader. But there is nothing to stop someone/anyone starting a similar type of page for the Tory's/Labour/UKIP or whoever.

If you think that these people should be encouraged to vote another way, then encourage them to do so.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    paralax wrote: »
    Hopefully these people are too young to vote, they are treating this as a game and it isn't.

Cameron and Osborne and Brown are the ones treating it like a game.

Saying that by stopping the NI cut you would be able to cure cancer - is possibly the most cynical position I have ever seen from any party.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

You're taking the fun part of it too seriously! The RATM thing is only to draw people into the idea that you don't have to maintain a monopoly if you don't want to.

As Lizzy said, there's plenty of manifesto information on the very first page. Look at the Wall page - people are talking about articles in the media, opinion polls, what their local MPs are up to, interviews by Gordon Brown, the distribution of seats, etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Wow - LOVE some of the responses on this page!

Barbaric? WIN! Thank you for that description this is BRILLIANT - because if we (I created the group, btw) manage to change politics using only the internet to motivate people to get out and vote (and trust me, people ARE motivated - we have THOUSANDS of first-time voters on the group who are now actively campaigning as a result of the community we've created there) then ALL you two-party lovers are going to have to deal with SIGNIFICANT change in government.

Referendum on Europe? yes please!
    Protection and growth of NHS frontline services? Yes please!
    Repeal the Digital Economy bill? Yes please!

Perhaps if you think it's barbaric you should look at one of these two rather good links:

http://bit.ly/voteconservative

or
    http://bit.ly/votelabour

Vote for a REAL change - www.libdem2010.com

Be afraid, Tories. Be very afraid.
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I bet most people on this facebook campaign aren't even registered! LOL!

Dumb young people?? :confused:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

Which makes it only as unreliable as the polls that we keep banging on about on here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I can see the appeal of Lib Dems, but unless they indicate who they will be supporting come a hung parliament, they wont be getting my vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I bet most people on this facebook campaign aren't even registered! LOL!

Dumb young people?? :confused:

Actually you'll find if you actually LOOK at the group that the membership is far from dumb - indeed they all make comments that are far more intelligent than the one YOU just made!!

We make every new member aware of the fact that they have until tomorrow to register - were YOU aware of that? Or are you just impotently raging against our machine? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aatlae wrote: »
    Actually you'll find if you actually LOOK at the group that the membership is far from dumb - indeed they all make comments that are far more intelligent than the one YOU just made!!

We make every new member aware of the fact that they have until tomorrow to register - were YOU aware of that? Or are you just impotently raging against our machine? :D

I would assume they were already registered, otherwise why bother indicate who they are voting for, it wont count :confused:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined. I'm voting LibDem anyway, like I always do, but I can't see the harm. It's no less valid than any other method of campaigning.

And having TV adverts (or Party Political Broadcasts, as they call them) is reducing politics to the level of selling soap powder. No difference at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    rosetech wrote: »
    I would assume they were already registered, otherwise why bother indicate who they are voting for, it wont count :confused:

Precisely why you'd tell people to register if they haven't...
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Aatlae wrote: »

:D

Though, it's a fact that most young people are not registered, and probably won't be to make such a difference. This is not the pop charts, where you sit at home all day and blow your student loan on electronic music tracks.

It actually requires effort. That's all I am saying. Besides, the deadline is very close. A lot of people will miss out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely why you'd tell people to register if they haven't...

Its not like this election has come out of thin air, telling is one thing doing is another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chparmar wrote: »
    :D

Though, it's a fact that most young people are not registered, and probably won't be to make such a difference. This is not the pop charts, where you sit at home all day and blow your student loan on electronic music tracks.

It actually requires effort. That's all I am saying. Besides, the deadline is very close. A lot of people will miss out.

Even those that aren't registered - even those not OLD enough to vote - are smart enough and engaged enough in what we're doing to convince those that are - we've got thousands of people fired up to campaign, message boards full of constituencies needing assistance and a massively growing group of first-time voters pledging their support.

We cannot fail to at least achieve a hung parliament on the road to REAL change.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I see what you are saying, and I can see the reasoning behind it.

Lets face it though, a lot of people complain that the turnout is not good enough, so if this increases the turnout, especially amongst young people, I don't think they can really then complain about that.

If you look at the Facebook page, it is talking policy. Its not just "vote lib dem vote lib dem", there are plenty of links so that people can read what the Party is all about. Lots of encouragement for people to register to vote as well.

Ok, so it focuses on one particular Party and its leader. But there is nothing to stop someone/anyone starting a similar type of page for the Tory's/Labour/UKIP or whoever.

If you think that these people should be encouraged to vote another way, then encourage them to do so.

I agree with you 100%, and I'm voting Tory.