BT Sport, BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 - LCNs 57,58,59

GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Three new LCNs have appeared on ARQ B this morning:

57: BT Sport
58: BT Sport 1
59: BT Sport 2

Channel 57 has a promo video running with a BT Sport2 ident in the top right corner. Channels 58 and 59 are not detected by one of my Samsung TVs.

Comments

• AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports 1 & 2 have an MHEG saying "This service is no longer available via a TV aerial"
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    41 & 42 both have full EPG data.

58 & 59 have an encryption flag set, which presumably stops them being picked up on some devices.

Interesting that they don't seem to be using 41 & 42 for the new channels. Also that the (presumably temporary) barker channel has a lower number than the real ones. Maybe they WILL move to 41/2 later.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i checked this morning, 41 & 42 were still flagged as Encrypted on my Panasonic TV but were showing the caption "This service is no longer available via a TV aerial"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DXRulz wrote: »
    When i checked this morning, 41 & 42 were still flagged as Encrypted on my Panasonic TV but were showing the caption "This service is no longer available via a TV aerial"

Have you retuned it ? There is currently no encryption flag for them on my kit.

Normally the flag is only present when encrypted channels are broadcasting video. When they are showing on an off-air caption it goes.

Can someone with better kit than mine tell whether 58 or 59 has a video stream attached ?
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Sport doesn't launch until 1st August. There is no fibre optic broadband here out in the sticks, so I'll give it a miss (I'm too stingy to pay for it!).
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channels 58 and 59 are in the Network Information Table, which is where LCN information is defined for each channel. At the moment, there are no Programme Map Tables or streams added for the channels, so receiving equipment may not pick up the channels or show a message such as "selected programme is not available".

EPG data for all channels exists in the Event Information Table. For 41 and 42 it now reads "Ceased Broadcasting", 58 and 59 both carry the same details as 57 but may not appear on some equipment until the PMTs are added.

The big question now is why do they need 3 LCNs?
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Channels 58 and 59 are in the Network Information Table, which is where LCN information is defined for each channel. At the moment, there are no Programme Map Tables or streams added for the channels, so receiving equipment may not pick up the channels or show a message such as "selected programme is not available".

EPG data for all channels exists in the Event Information Table. For 41 and 42 it now reads "Ceased Broadcasting", 58 and 59 both carry the same details as 57 but may not appear on some equipment until the PMTs are added.

BT sports news?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    BT sports news?

As far as I know, that's not been announced for any other platform. Their third channel on satellite will be ESPN but they haven't said that will be available on DTT. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    BT sports news?

Or maybe the new BT ESPN?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, that's not been announced for any other platform. Their third channel on satellite will be ESPN but they haven't said that will be available on DTT. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

We might find out what going on

on 1/8/13
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We might find out what going on

on 1/8/13

Well, everything should certainly be more clear when the channels go live. It just doesn't make sense that they would take an extra stream when they are planning to ultimately replace the DTT streams with IPTV.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit OT but I've just seen a BT Sport advert on Sky News. I thought Sky were refusing to show BTs ads?!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    A bit OT but I've just seen a BT Sport advert on Sky News. I thought Sky were refusing to show BTs ads?!
    Sky just refused to show them on the Sky Sports channels.
    Ian.
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of a left field idea, but maybe BT will use channel 57 as a limited hours barker channel for BT Sport/BT TV in the downtime of one of their sports channels or maybe even the downtime of another channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bangers wrote: »
    A bit of a left field idea, but maybe BT will use channel 57 as a limited hours barker channel for BT Sport/BT TV in the downtime of one of their sports channels or maybe even the downtime of another channel?

If they were only using their own downtime it would be more sensible to use the Sport 1 or Sport 2 stream unencrypted.

The only other downtime on Arqiva B is a 5am to 8am slot between BabestationX closing and QVC Beauty going live.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    Three new LCNs have appeared on ARQ B this morning:

57: BT Sport
    58: BT Sport 1
    59: BT Sport 2

Channel 57 has a promo video running with a BT Sport2 ident in the top right corner. Channels 58 and 59 are not detected by one of my Samsung TVs.
    BT could of opted for LCN nos 60, 61 and 63 and created there own Sports genre section.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member

As THOMO says above, Sky are not obliged to show BT Sport adverts on Sky Sports channels*, but they are likely to be shown on other Sky channels such as Sky News, Sky One, Pick TV etc.

*see:
    Sky Sports wins Ofcom ruling over BT Sport adverts
    Ofcom has ruled in favour of Sky following a dispute over its decision not to carry adverts for its competitor BT Sport. The regulator said that it was reasonable for a broadcaster to discriminate against its competitors in this manner to protect its commercial interests and brand identity, Broadcast reports.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/news/a491789/sky-sports-wins-ofcom-ruling-over-bt-sport-adverts.html#ixzz2Xps68O92
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My guess is they will use it a barker channel promoting BT Sports and other BT products at least until 1st August
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    BT could of opted for LCN nos 60, 61 and 63 and created there own Sports genre section.

I think the slots will have been allocated to them, they won't get to choose. As they aren't going to be generally available and restricted to BT Broadband customers, it's questionable that they should have been allocated LCNs in this range. They could have been shoved out of the way into the 300 range with TUTV.
    My guess is they will use it a barker channel promoting BT Sports and other BT products at least until 1st August

They could have used either 58 or 59 or both for that, without creating an extra slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    So, how are these to be received?
    An old TUTV box, a cam (if so which one) in your TV, or what? There seems to be little info apart that HD will also be available for some.

Well that the point of LCN 57 there lot of information there 24/7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    So, how are these to be received?
    An old TUTV box, a cam (if so which one) in your TV, or what? There seems to be little info apart that HD will also be available for some.

Presumably on BT Vision boxes.

HD versions will not be available on DTT, only online or (possibly) Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will it be possible for BT to have free day or weekends on freeview to try and get more customers?

Like ESPN did in february 2012.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    If they were only using their own downtime it would be more sensible to use the Sport 1 or Sport 2 stream unencrypted.

Not necessarily. Encrypted channels don't even scan on some receivers - running a non-encrypted channel ensures that everybody sees it. Seems a bit overkill for the occasional promo though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Encrypted channels don't even scan on some receivers - running a non-encrypted channel ensures that everybody sees it. Seems a bit overkill for the occasional promo though.

True but with almost a month to go before they officially go live, there would be plenty of time to run in the clear and allow it to be scanned in on those receivers. With all 3 streams now live, it's clear that they aren't just using it during downtime on the main 2 channels. Taking a DTT channel just to promote a service on other platforms seems like an expensive way of advertising. As stated in the Radio Times, they really do appear to have deep pockets.