Options

Do you feel like a bad person when you vote UKIP/SNP?

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    You've missed out the "stringing everybody up", you've obviously recognised your error.

Nope, when you suggest we ask an entire city for an opinion you clearly assume it will broadly match your own.

Which of course it might.

But it would be pretty hypocritical if it did.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I'd feel like a bad person if I voted Labour or Tory again and again and then wondered why nothing changes, our kids can't afford housing, why we start illegal wars that lead to hundreds of thousands of innocent men women and kids dying and s***w up other countries, we are trillions in debt while banks and big corporates live it up, our NHS cannot cope with the volumes of patients, you have to wait two weeks to see a GP and hours in A&E, your kid can't get a local school place and our frail elderly can't get social care yet we lavish hundreds of pounds a week in tax credits and housing benefit on people who have barely been in the country for five minutes.

But hey - carry on voting for more of the same!
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    When you start using language like that it's hard to take you seriously. Immigrants enrich our societies. Embrace it.

They also cause over crowding! Understand it!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »

Yes - that line is always used by our political elite who live in well off white middle class enclaves where houses cost millions - they can get cheaper servants so it suits them well. For ordinary British born people of what ever ethnic background - their kids can't get work that pays enough to live on, can't get affordable housing because of the demand, have to wait 2 weeks to see a GP, can't get a school place, can't get social care for their elderly parents etc etc. Is it enriching the elite - and just impoverishing ordinary folks.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Nope, when you suggest we ask an entire city for an opinion you clearly assume it will broadly match your own.

Which of course it might.

But it would be pretty hypocritical if it did.

It's obvious that you think because Australia is a nation of immigrants and descendants of immigrants that they must, by their very nature, be ever accepting of immigrants or be labelled hypocrites. Without wanting to get bogged down in the morality of immigrant/aboriginal conflict, people who amigrate to Australia, substantially become Australians or they return to their homeland; being Australian is part of the immigration package in Australia and there's been plent of speeches to re-inforce that. So it isn't in any way hypocritical for those who adopt the Australian ethos to condemn those who go there and want to live a life outside of what Australia is all about, from wherever they come from or whatever they believe.

I'm only guessing that the majority of the people of Sydney would share my view though I've no doubt that outside of those who might sympathise with the terrorist, there will be those who think the Oz authorities and government shouldn't take any forceful restraining action on the type of people likely to be a threat to the wider population. There are people in this country and even on DS who will offer some defence to those who are a risk to population at large. I'm not one of them.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's obvious that you think because Australia is a nation of immigrants and descendants of immigrants that they must, by their very nature, be ever accepting of immigrants or be labelled hypocrites. Without wanting to get bogged down in the morality of immigrant/aboriginal conflict, people who amigrate to Australia, substantially become Australians or they return to their homeland; being Australian is part of the immigration package in Australia and there's been plent of speeches to re-inforce that. So it isn't in any way hypocritical for those who adopt the Australian ethos to condemn those who go there and want to live a life outside of what Australia is all about, from wherever they come from or whatever they believe.

I'm only guessing that the majority of the people of Sydney would share my view though I've no doubt that outside of those who might sympathise with the terrorist, there will be those who think the Oz authorities and government shouldn't take any forceful restraining action on the type of people likely to be a threat to the wider population. There are people in this country and even on DS who will offer some defence to those who are a risk to population at large. I'm not one of them.

What's obvious to me is that people should not be lumped together just because some of them are no good. In terms of the bit it bold, neither am I.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »

Not where Anndra comes from, the natives have been leaving in droves for centuries.:D
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Try telling that to the people of Sydney.

Cheap shot.
  • Options
    RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you feel like a bad person when you vote UKIP/SNP?

Nope I feel this way about LIB/LAB/Con/SNP. A vote for the same old corrupt political elite BS all over again.

UKIP have yet to prove they are any different likewise they have yet to prove they are the same as the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Cheap shot.

The cheap shots come from those who, in attempting to defend everyone and every group who they think are being persecuted, ignore the reality that the majority suffer from the ever present threats of terrorism and fear of falling foul of the laws that prevent the full freedom of speech.

Have you given up on the idea that enfranchisement, of necessity, produces democracy?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    The cheap shots come from those who, in attempting to defend everyone and every group who they think are being persecuted, ignore the reality that the majority suffer from the ever present threats of terrorism and fear of falling foul of the laws that prevent the full freedom of speech.
    We all suffer from the threat of terrorism - no one is ignoring that reality. And if you're a half-decent person you don't have to worry about your freedom of speech being impaired.
    Have you given up on the idea that enfranchisement, of necessity, produces democracy?
    I never had that idea in the first place!
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigrants are good for Scotland and the SNP is right to support them. We want to remain a part of the wider European community within the EU. Labour have been treacherous on some fronts but on immigration they, at least for a while, did the right thing. Now they seem to be behaving almost as badly as the rightwing parties like UKIP and Tory. It's good that we have parties to like the SNP, Plaid and the Greens to fight off right wing nationalism and anti-EU and anti-immigrant sentiment.

So you do not think that immigration was bad for the indigenous peoples of Norway, Sweden (the Sámi ) or the indigenous peoples of Malaysia (the Orang Asli) or the people who got wiped in America and Australia?

I think there are some bad aspects to globalisation, including a global human.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    So you do not think that immigration was bad for the indigenous peoples of Norway, Sweden (the Sámi ) or the indigenous peoples of Malaysia (the Orang Asli) or the people who got wiped in America and Australia?

Do you mean colonialists? No immigration is about giving people a chance to be a part of what we have. Giving people an opportunity to contribute. Scotland is a much smaller country than England is but I think we could cope with more immigrants. The idea that immigration could in any way effect the culture and identity of a people as large and as culturally dominant as the English is a nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, I was trying to think of one historical example where mass immigration has been good for the native people...

Having said that, I am 100% in favour of globalisation and mass migration. I don't really consider myself a native .... But if I did, I guess I might see it different.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, I was trying to think of one historical example where mass immigration has been good for the native people...

Having said that, I am 100% in favour of globalisation and mass migration. I don't really consider myself a native .... But if I did, I guess I might see it different.

In the UK its been successful although I'm not sure it can be described as mass immigration. Look how well Eastern Europeans have done as a part of our society. Another benefit of the EU.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I really don't think you understand very much about the SNP. Possibly you are getting confused with the BNP.. ?

ETA: Just realised who posted this. This FM is reaaaally starting to look schizophrenic. It's just like the ramblings of a mad-man every day.

I was just thinking this, gives me a good laugh reading his threads though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the UK its been successful although I'm not sure it can be described as mass immigration. Look how well Eastern Europeans have done as a part of our society. Another benefit of the EU.

Mmmmm, the historical examples all say the immigrants do well.
    I think you have missed the point.
    lol....

As I've always suspected, scratch and SNP supporter and you'll find someone in some form of denial.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    If I had voted for Labour, especially just after they had taken us into an illegal and devastating war costing the lives of so many innocent people - I would feel ashamed.

If I had voted for the Conservatives, who are now busily crushing the poorest people in society, many of them disabled, many of them now reliant on food banks whilst they brazenly let the bankers off the hook and allow large corporations to evade their due tax - I would feel ashamed.

Thankfully, my conscience is clear on both counts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mmmmm, the historical examples all say the immigrants do well.
    I think you have missed the point.
    lol....

As I've always suspected, scratch and SNP supporter and you'll find someone in some form of denial.
    Except I'm not SNP and never have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except I'm not SNP and never have been.

I did not say you were. I said you supported them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Try telling that to the people of Sydney.

Because of one immigrant does something wrong it must mean there all bad. Or did you mean to say something else?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    If I had voted for Labour, especially just after they had taken us into an illegal and devastating war costing the lives of so many innocent people - I would feel ashamed.

If I had voted for the Conservatives, who are now busily crushing the poorest people in society, many of them disabled, many of them now reliant on food banks whilst they brazenly let the bankers off the hook and allow large corporations to evade their due tax - I would feel ashamed.

Thankfully, my conscience is clear on both counts.

How do the Conservatives crush the poor?

Would you say the bank levy was a good example of letting the bankers of the hook?

Or is there no substance to your talking points?
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'm unconvinced on the crossover between SNP and UKIP. Are we talking about a specific issue here (immigration presumably)?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a daft thread really and I feel like a bad person for posting in it,

Ignoring the obvious attempt to either bait or offend people, I would say that it's highly unlikely that anyone feels like a "bad person" no matter who they vote for.

people can vote for whoever they wish, and long may it remain that way. I despise the Tory party and pretty much everything it represents,

(and yes I know some people feel the same about Labour and I fully accept and respect their right to feel that way)
    I have nothing but contempt for Ukip, and I think the Lib dems are just pointless,

I certainly don't for one second believe that Labour are, perfect, can do no wrong, walk on water, are the answer to all our prayers, that life will be a bed of roses, and all the other things that lot of (usually but not exclusively) Tory supporters like to tell me I believe.

I just think that for me, based on MY life and experiences and given the choices available, then I would rather have them in charge because I believe they are the least worst option and are far more even handed than the Tories.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking, if I voted UKIP or SNP I would feel like a bit of a bounder, like letting the side down. Letting Europe down, letting Blightie down. I would feel I could no longer look my fellow Pole or English person in the eye.
    Could you heavily promote UKIP or SNP in front of your Polish and English friends and feel happy about it and still have a sense that you are a good person?

Is the rise of stuff like UKIP and SNP due to a decrease in general morality or is it because Kippers and Nats perceive that globalisation is actually the "evil thing" and voting UKIP or SNP is like supporting native tribes in the Amazon - like stopping globalisation and letting the natives keep their traditional way of life.

When you vote UKIP or SNP are you thinking of others or yourself?

Are UKIP and SNP more Green then Green?

Yes I am, thanks for asking?
    Lots and lots of others just like me
    Nope
    Tell me do you feel shame in voting for the traitorous Labour Party? For dumping the White working classes, and becoming the benefits and migrant party as well as the political arm of the public sector?