Options

Brian May - For Fox Sake don't Vote Tory. (Merged)

ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
Forum Member
✭✭
Brian May is leading an anti bloodsports campaign in the face of the Conservative resolve to repeal the law against fox hunting, stag hunting and hare coursing if they get in at the election.
Cameron himself enjoys hunting and shooting stags.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbmar10a.html

Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets be honest, this issue is so way down on the list of important things that could swing the election, it shouldnt even be reported:rolleyes:
    Just vote Tory and make sure that Labour dont have another 4/5 years to continue to F*** it up, and for gods sake dont even CONSIDER those limp wristed liberals:eek:
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,193
    Forum Member
    good on him
  • Options
    Squishy22Squishy22 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't sway me, to be honest, as there are way more important things to consider when voting for a party than fox hunting.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Lets be honest, this issue is so way down on the list of important things that could swing the election, it shouldnt even be reported:rolleyes:
    Just vote Tory and make sure that Labour dont have another 4/5 years to continue to F*** it up, and for gods sake dont even CONSIDER those limp wristed liberals:eek:
    Well it matters to me. The only reason I voted Labour in the last election was because Tony Blair said the first thing he would do would be to outlaw hunting with dogs. It took him about 7 years though.
    I shall vote Labour again.

Can't stand Cameron.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Good for Brian.

I wouldn't vote for Cameron in a million years.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always had a lot of respect for Brian May for various reasons- this just makes me respect him even more.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much as I detest the idea of using dogs to rip an animal apart, him being a millionaire rockstar in a mansion wouldn't know that there are lot of other more pressing issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    good on him!

what are these more pressing issues? making the lives of the working class harder? cutting public services?
    ah well, yet another good reason not to vote tory.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Message from Gordy

"I want to put on record my admiration for Brian May's campaign to keep hunting with dogs illegal. I'm happy to add my voice to the tens of thousands of other who have already backed his campaign. I also want to put on record my total commitment, that under a Labour government this ban on cruelty will be maintained. Fox hunting should stay in the history books where it belongs."

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/notes/save-me/the-text-of-gordon-browns-message/124615087548953
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should I care what some rich bloke in his mansion thinks? His opinion has the same validity as about 50 million other random voters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rebuilding our economy is more important than fox hunting for a start.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    What has being rich and living in a 'mansion' got to do with it? If he was skint and lived in a council flat I'd agree with him - he just wouldn't have the money to promote his cause, which is a very admirable one, to me.

He could just not bother and save his money, but obviously it means something to him - and who's to say he also doesn't campaign for 'worthier' issues?

Cameron is also rich and probably lives in a mansion, yet millions will listen to him and vote for him without question.

As I said, good on Brian.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squishy22 wrote: »
    Rebuilding our economy is more important than fox hunting for a start.

Well, the Tories themselves clearly regard repealing the ban as a pressing issue, seeing as they go on about it so much and have it as a mansifesto pledge. Surely if the economy is so important, then why are the Tories spending so much time and energy on the fox hunting issue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Well, the Tories themselves clearly regard repealing the ban as a pressing issue, seeing as they go on about it so much and have it as a mansifesto pledge. Surely if the economy is so important, then why are the Tories spending so much time and energy on the fox hunting issue?
    No idea! I shouldperhaps point out that I am anti blood sports, but I still don't think this is important enough to sway floating voters.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian May’s Save-Me campaign is asking members of the public to support the cause of animals by signing up at www.save-me.org.uk and aims eventually to recruit a million supporters of animal rights. Supporters have been asking their local candidates to make a clear commitment, for or against fox-hunting before polling day – and to declare which way they will vote if there is a Commons vote to repeal the Hunting Act. The results appear in a chart on the site, to help voters make their choice on Polling day.

May continues: “We are supporting candidates from all parties who commit to keeping the law against hunting in place. It’s a very serious issue, which should never have reared its head again. I’m shocked to see that so many voters still don’t realise that the Conservative party stands for Blood Sports. If Cameron gets his way, the countryside will be awash with blood.”
    A vote for the Tories will be a vote for blood sports.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont most who participate in fox hunting are some rich bloke in a mansion
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on him. Blood sports are despicable.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Brian May’s Save-Me campaign is asking members of the public to support the cause of animals by signing up at www.save-me.org.uk and aims eventually to recruit a million supporters of animal rights. Supporters have been asking their local candidates to make a clear commitment, for or against fox-hunting before polling day – and to declare which way they will vote if there is a Commons vote to repeal the Hunting Act. The results appear in a chart on the site, to help voters make their choice on Polling day.

May continues: “We are supporting candidates from all parties who commit to keeping the law against hunting in place. It’s a very serious issue, which should never have reared its head again. I’m shocked to see that so many voters still don’t realise that the Conservative party stands for Blood Sports. If Cameron gets his way, the countryside will be awash with blood.”
    A vote for the Tories will be a vote for blood sports.

It's awash with blood anyway isnt it? Foxes have to eat. The countryside isnt exactly the Serengeti, but it is still wild.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    The Labour Party doesnt really care about animal rights at all just like the Tories.They use this one issue to garner votes though and fair play to them as it sways some voters.The urban fox problem and what happens to them when they are caught / taken and dumped in the countryside is not a nice story .So those celebrating the ban on fox hunting can close their eyes and imagine everything is now rosy for the foxes.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Labour Party doesnt really care about animal rights at all just like the Tories.They use this one issue to garner votes though and fair play to them as it sways some voters.The urban fox problem and what happens to them when they are caught / taken and dumped in the countryside is not a nice story .So those celebrating the ban on fox hunting can close their eyes and imagine everything is now rosy for the foxes.

You don't need a pack of dogs and people on horses to cull foxes. A gun is more efficient and less cruel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    It's awash with blood anyway isnt it? Foxes have to eat. The countryside isnt exactly the Serengeti, but it is still wild.

I have just posted on the other thread .What happens to especially urban foxes when they are caught and taken to the edge of the countryside is that they are hunted in sweeps through the woods by the landowners / gamekeepers and are culled .Sometimes 7- 8 can be caught and once someone told me up to 30 were killed near where i live .
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, we don't imagine any such thing. That's simply a deflection. Many of us are simply against cruel sports and are well aware that's not the only cruelty committed against animals.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just posted on the other thread .What happens to especially urban foxes when they are caught and taken to the edge of the countryside is that they are hunted in sweeps through the woods by the landowners / gamekeepers and are culled .Sometimes 7- 8 can be caught and once someone told me up to 30 were killed near where i live .
    Are you talking about shooting foxes or hunting them with foxhounds? Like it or not, shooting foxes is legal, though it is obviously offensive to many people.