Options

Winter Solstice

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmS2OTI0lI8

21 days to go...gets dark so early..hens are going in around 4.30...
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    In the olden days the majority of wine and beer made during the year was finally fermented and ready for drinking when the Winter Solstice arrived. I believe this is the main reason you like the Winter Solstice.

And mead. Don't forget the mead!

Scotchmissst, won't be long before we're off on our annual quest in search for a Yule log and - deep in the woods; the only holly with berries. I say I'm doing christmas to people but the only way I can enjoy it, is to actually do Yule.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    And mead. Don't forget the mead!

Scotchmissst, won't be long before we're off on our annual quest in search for a Yule log and - deep in the woods; the only holly with berries. I say I'm doing christmas to people but the only way I can enjoy it, is to actually do Yule.:D

Sounds great Hogz!! Bet it makes your cheeks pink. Just like my mead!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Who are you again? Been toooooo long. You never come on ds anymore. :( x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Who are you again? Been toooooo long. You never come on ds anymore. :( x

Hello you.
    :eek:

I've got nothing to say. Not unlike lots of posters, but I actually know it!

Miss you heaps though..hope you are well?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah yeah I know I talk shit. Yes I am fine. Hope you are well too. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah yeah I know I talk shit. Yes I am fine. Hope you are well too. :)

You know I don't mean you! I mean the posters who seem to have lost the ability to emphasize or understand anyone in a worse situation than they are.

Reading how little people care is sort of soul destroying after a while and I just decided I'd rather not.

There are some lovely people on here, yourself included, who I really do miss. But one look at the threads is usually enough.

Yes, everything fine here, still reeling after yesterday's awful news though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You know I don't mean you! I mean the posters who seem to have lost the ability to emphasize or understand anyone in a worse situation than they are.

Reading how little people care is sort of soul destroying after a while and I just decided I'd rather not.

There are some lovely people on here, yourself included, who I really do miss. But one look at the threads is usually enough.

Yes, everything fine here, still reeling after yesterday's awful news though.

Yes it is terrible. My daughters ex boyfriend was a regular there so it was a worrying time until we knew he was safe.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Yes - I cannot wait for the daylight hours to lengthen.

In fact it starts getting dark later in the afternoon from 16 December - offset by sunrise not reaching its latest time until late December. So in my eyes only 15 days until the evenings start getting lighter - even if its just by seconds for the first few days.

The winter solstice is of course why we actually have Christmas on 25 December. Its an old pagan holiday linked to this being the first day after the equinox our ancestors could ee the daylight hours getting longer!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes it is terrible. My daughters ex boyfriend was a regular there so it was a worrying time until we knew he was safe.

Glad he is safe. Yes, it's been an awful few days, but heartening tales too. Seems to really bring out the best in people.

18 days now.....

http://mycountdown.org/fullpage.php?cp3_Hex=0F0200&cp2_Hex=000000&cp1_Hex=0C0CFF&ham=0&img&hbg=0&hfg=0&sid=0&fwdt=300&lab=1&ocd=Birthday&text1=the+winter+solstice+&text2=the+winter+solstice+&group=Other&countdown=Winter&widget_number=3011&event_time=1387584000&timezone=America%2FNew_York

:D

I thought I aught to check in with you after my "telling off"!!

:eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad he is safe. Yes, it's been an awful few days, but heartening tales too. Seems to really bring out the best in people.

18 days now.....

http://mycountdown.org/fullpage.php?cp3_Hex=0F0200&cp2_Hex=000000&cp1_Hex=0C0CFF&ham=0&img&hbg=0&hfg=0&sid=0&fwdt=300&lab=1&ocd=Birthday&text1=the+winter+solstice+&text2=the+winter+solstice+&group=Other&countdown=Winter&widget_number=3011&event_time=1387584000&timezone=America%2FNew_York

:D

I thought I aught to check in with you after my "telling off"!!

:eek::eek:

Hahaha thank you. Nice to see you haven't disappeared again. :):)
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    When the days first start getting longer, is it that they get darker later or lighter earlier or both?
    Ta.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the dark mornings, it makes working the early shifts so much harder. I can't wait till it starts getting lighter again.

I agree, I hate getting up in the dark. It bothers me much more than dark evenings.
    I love getting up really early (about 4.30 am) in the summer and opening the curtains to daylight.
    PS thanks to scotchmisst and MartyM8 for posting about this, it does cheer me up every year. The day getting slightly longer is the one good thing about January.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    When the days first start getting longer, is it that they get darker later or lighter earlier or both?
    Ta.

I think it's the sunset gets a bit later first, though it's only seconds at first .Then it starts to increase by slightly longer intervals.
    Plus I think it's slightly different times in the north and Scotland, but I'm not sure how it works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why the longing for spring. i love this time of year. colder the better.

it's not all good, my keyboard appears to be frozen today and i am now using the on screen keyboard which is a pain.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are those on here that tell you its still autumn...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Northerly wrote: »
    There are those on here that tell you its still autumn...

Call anything what you want. Some say winter starts on the first day after the solstice.

I just see the shortest day as the natural turning point as the days start (slowly) to get longer after 21st.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Call anything what you want. Some say winter starts on the first day after the solstice.

I just see the shortest day as the natural turning point as the days start (slowly) to get longer after 21st.

For me, the turning point is when the afternoons stop getting shorter and for all intents and purposes, in some places that's already happened. I don't care about the mornings, or the odd seconds. It varies by seconds according to local topography, sea state, atmospheric conditions anyway.

Portsmouth and some nearby places had sunset today at 3:59pm (rounded to nearest minute) and it will never get to 3:58 this year. Except for misguided second-watchers, hereabouts we've hit the 'shortest afternoon' already! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The day with the latest time of sunset has now passed in England and Wales, just northern Scotland has yet to see it (in the next few days).

Lighter afternoons, Winter Solstice/shortest day is nearly upon us and Spring is coming! Maybe. ;)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calling all druids ..... get yer robes out. brush up on the spells and chanting. make sure the sun will return next year .......

if human sacrifice no longer acceptable then i suggest a large hammer on a win8 installation disc ........
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    The day with the latest time of sunset has now passed in England and Wales, just northern Scotland has yet to see it (in the next few days).

Lighter afternoons, Winter Solstice/shortest day is nearly upon us and Spring is coming! Maybe. ;)

Yes lighter evenings have already begun (for those who watch the seconds).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are now in the darkest fortnight of the year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Don't write off winter just yet although it is very mild if I remember correctly it was last year until Jan when it was freezing right up until April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes lighter evenings have already begun (for those who watch the seconds).

By 'latest time of sunset' I was of course referring to New Zealand. :blush::D