Morrisons

Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
Forum Member
Has anyone else seen their local branch of Morrisons have an upgrade recently, with everything being moved around and completely different shelves, freezers, tills and counters installed?

Comments

• ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    no ... not seen any changes at mine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Nope not at mine
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my local.

Still smells...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here neither
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Yes it has.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes couple of years ago. Some improvements and some things very much worse.
    Misting the veg is bizarre !
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, ours has, and it is only 2 years old.....newly built. I preferred the old layout.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,638
    Forum Member
    No significant changes other than the mist spray thing they installed to keep the herbs fresh, the entire fresh veg section is now enveloped in what looks like dry ice!
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours is only a couple of years old.
    There is a strange smell of rotting meat as you go through the door.
    And the self-serve tills are a joke.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Oh, so that's what the smoke machine is! I wasn't sure if it was intentional or they were filming Doctor Who as it's a bit overwhelming and when I walked past my natural reaction was to avoid it. Maybe they had it turned up too high, but it was shooting right over the herbs and vegetables, and blasting a couple of feet into people's walking space.

I wondered if Morrisons were upgrading all of their stores before Christmas to mask poor profits over the season. The press usually make a fuss in January over which supermarkets sold the most. I think Morrisons were relatively the worst performer last year, and with tesco having a bad year I think the press will be more keen that ever to compare figures next month. And the supermarkets will be just as keen to camouflage poor figures by blaming unrelated factors.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Ours is only a couple of years old.
    There is a strange smell of rotting meat as you go through the door.
    And the self-serve tills are a joke.

Yea the morrisons near me stinks too.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes couple of years ago. Some improvements and some things very much worse.
    Misting the veg is bizarre !

They do that a lot in the USA.
    Forum Member
    I asked for Pak Choi and butternut squash in my local morrisons and you would think I had asked for 2 of the most exotic foods known to man.

'oh no, we don't sell stuff like that'
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I asked for Pak Choi and butternut squash in my local morrisons and you would think I had asked for 2 of the most exotic foods known to man.

Waitrose is the best for exotic things.
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »

Maybe you just spoke to idiot staff? I've long stopped asking anyone in Morrisons for anything at all because they're a joke.

I don't know of a supermarket that doesn't sell butternut squash, and my Morrisons does them whole or bags of ready chopped & peeled.

I haven't looked for pak choi, but they certainly have a huge stir-fry range and it's listed on their website.
    Forum Member
    Maybe you just spoke to idiot staff? I've long stopped asking anyone in Morrisons for anything at all because they're a joke.

I don't know of a supermarket that doesn't sell butternut squash, and my Morrisons does them whole or bags of ready chopped & peeled.

I haven't looked for pak choi, but they certainly have a huge stir-fry range and it's listed on their website.

There are 2 Morrisons near me and in one (the one i usually go to) they sell both pak choi and butternut squash.

It was in the 2nd one they didn't have a clue what I was asking for.

They have a whole load of stuff in the stir fry section that I would class as less common than pak choi (chinese leaf, galangal etc) so I kind of assumed they would have what I wanted.

You're right about the staff mind, I could have just got a wrong un.

I've got both polenta and quinoa on my shopping list tomorrow, I might pop in for a laugh 😊
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Problem with Morrisons, they've got all the potential to be posh - their own suppliers for meat etc. just like Waitrose.

Yet they're just wavering round in the middle.
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    Problem with Morrisons, they've got all the potential to be posh - their own suppliers for meat etc. just like Waitrose.

Yet they're just wavering round in the middle.

Agreed. They seem to have no idea who they are trying to aim themselves at, and because of that they appeal to nobody.

Our local Morrisons looks very "posh" these days - the misted fruit and veg, really good counters, a huge home section, and an amazing beer and wine section. It has the looks, almost, of a branch of Waitrose. But their TV advertising seems to be all about cheapness and uses Ant & Dec who would, I would say, be used to appeal to working class people. Ugh, that sounds really snobbish, but the whole cheeky northern thing is being used for one reason or another..So you have a store that seems to be all about amazing freshness, but then advertises itself as some kind of bargain basement.

You have 3 main supermarkets all trying to appeal to the same very broad type of customer base - Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons.

ASDA tends to aim more at a working class, price conscious kind of consumer. Waitrose is definitely middle class, LIDL and Aldi used to be seen a the choice of the poor, but are now used by everyone and have somehow managed to achieve the impossible of appealing to all parts of society.

Morrisons just seems to sit nowhere in particular, whereas Sainsbury's and Tesco are far more established, particularly in the south. Before Morrisons took over Safeway there were hardly any Morrisons branches in the south at all.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    malpasc wrote: »
    Morrisons just seems to sit nowhere in particular, whereas Sainsbury's and Tesco are far more established, particularly in the south. Before Morrisons took over Safeway there were hardly any Morrisons branches in the south at all.

Exactly, people down 'ere hated them when they started painting everything yellow. Didn't even know they existed before the takeover.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Agreed. They seem to have no idea who they are trying to aim themselves at, and because of that they appeal to nobody.

Our local Morrisons looks very "posh" these days - the misted fruit and veg, really good counters, a huge home section, and an amazing beer and wine section. It has the looks, almost, of a branch of Waitrose. But their TV advertising seems to be all about cheapness and uses Ant & Dec who would, I would say, be used to appeal to working class people. Ugh, that sounds really snobbish, but the whole cheeky northern thing is being used for one reason or another..So you have a store that seems to be all about amazing freshness, but then advertises itself as some kind of bargain basement.

You have 3 main supermarkets all trying to appeal to the same very broad type of customer base - Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons.

ASDA tends to aim more at a working class, price conscious kind of consumer. Waitrose is definitely middle class, LIDL and Aldi used to be seen a the choice of the poor, but are now used by everyone and have somehow managed to achieve the impossible of appealing to all parts of society.

I thought the used Northern cheeky chappies and the rest as they were a norther based chain?

As for who they're competing against I always thought it was Sainsbury. ASDA and Tesco are too big and have (or used to have) much better prices and offers.
    Not used the new pricematch service so not sure how it competes these days.

But they still tend to be more expensive for everyday items apart from some of the fresh meat and that's even better when they have joints or big packs of meat on sale for 1/3 of the original price.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can't be bothered cooking "proper" food, I find the range of ready meals in Morrisons lacking. As opposed to M&S and Tesco. The bakery and Wine selection are lacking as well.
    I'm struggling to think what section outshines other supermarkets.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I can't be bothered cooking "proper" food, I find the range of ready meals in Morrisons lacking. As opposed to M&S and Tesco. The bakery and Wine selection are lacking as well.
    I'm struggling to think what section outshines other supermarkets.

Ours has better butchers and fishmongers than the other local supermarkets, and a wider variety of cuts of meat.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Morrisons seem to be trying everything these days, i don't think they know what they are, I quite like the shop except from their self service tills
    Forum Member
    Morrisons seem to be trying everything these days, i don't think they know what they are, I quite like the shop except from their self service tills

I think the issue has arisen because at the time they took over Safeway they were still seen as a very northern, slightly downmarket kind of place. The store decor, the logo, the packaging design, store layout etc was all a bit old fashioned and drab. This probably wasn't going to work very well in more affluent southern parts of the country so they tried to change it - new logo, new store layouts, new product ranges etc etc, but it has all been done a bit half-arsed. You have this new "posh" stuff surrounded by a company who still seem to be stuck somewhere in 1970s Yorkshire.

They really need to find their niche - either go posh and stay posh, or go back to their more working class roots.
    Forum Member
    go back to their more working class roots.

I think this is quite likely over the next decade. There's at least one too many big supermarket chains, so something's got to give. Either Morrisons will be swallowed up by Asda, who'll then lease or sell some branches to other supermarkets to keep regulators happy, or they'll just throw in the towel and retreat back to Yorkshire, hoping they'll be able to resume the good old days of being a local supermarket for local people.