Top 5 Premier League wide midfielders / wingers

mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK. As there have been so many related threads, here's one for those that love their wingers (perhaps a dying breed):

My top five:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Gareth Bale
Ryan Giggs
David Beckham
David Ginola

Honourable mentions for Chris Waddle, Robert Pires, Freddie Ljunberg, Anders Limpar, Theo Walcott, and probably plenty of others I've forgotten!

Comments

• TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    As usual, in no particular order (except the first name):

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Gareth Bale
    David Beckham
    Ryan Giggs
    Robert Pires

I wanted to include David Silva.

I'd say John Barnes and Steve McManaman but I was too young to actually appreciate them so I can't make much of a comment. Similar with any other great players who were at their best in the 90s.

In a few years maybe someone else can make their way onto such a list (perhaps any of Di Maria, Sterling, or Hazard).
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no order

Ronaldo
    Beckham
    Bale
    Giggs
    Barnes
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In no order, but:-

Kanchelskis
    Ginola
    Giggs
    Barnes
    Ronaldo
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have said John Barnes.

He was superb. I well remember the huge role he played in that great Liverpool team in 1987-88. However, I think his best years were behind him by the time the Premier League started in 1992/93. He had several bad injuries and he lost his pace - which had been a pretty big part of his game.

His great rival for a place in the England team (Chris Waddle) by contrast, had never had much pace to lose in the first place. He relied on tricky ball skills to beat a player, rather than outright pace. He didn't hot such high peaks domestically as John Barnes did, I would agree - but he was loved by fans abroad at Marseille (irrelevant to this thread, I know), and was similarly loved by Sheff Wednesday fans in the early nineties in the first few years of the Premier league. despite his being somewhat of a veteran by then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is Bebe?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giggs
    Overmars
    Ronaldo
    Robben
    Salako
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now this is a tough one to call, for me my five would be:-

1) Ronaldo
    2) Kanchelskis
    3) Bale
    4) Giggs
    5) Sharpe
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Ronaldo
    2) Beckham
    3) Pires
    4) Kanchelskis
    5) Robben

HM to Ljungberg, Giggs (obvs), Ginola, Anderton (absolute class, when fit), McManaman, Limpar, Overmars, Sharpe and Russell Beardsmore.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    A lot of people have said John Barnes.

He was superb. I well remember the huge role he played in that great Liverpool team in 1987-88. However, I think his best years were behind him by the time the Premier League started in 1992/93. He had several bad injuries and he lost his pace - which had been a pretty big part of his game.

His great rival for a place in the England team (Chris Waddle) by contrast, had never had much pace to lose in the first place. He relied on tricky ball skills to beat a player, rather than outright pace. He didn't hot such high peaks domestically as John Barnes did, I would agree - but he was loved by fans abroad at Marseille (irrelevant to this thread, I know), and was similarly loved by Sheff Wednesday fans in the early nineties in the first few years of the Premier league. despite his being somewhat of a veteran by then.

Good points.

I mentioned Barnes, but I was thinking about him in his prime & didn't consider the Premier League era timeline by which time he was past his best, like you have said.

I should really remove him & replace him with Arjen Robben: a terrible cheat, but a phenomenal wide player for Chelsea.
  • JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    David Beckham
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Marc Overmars
    Robert Pires
    Gareth Bale

Beckham at the top for me. Almost the total package down the right, only thing he didn't have was silky skills but he never needed those and his pace wasn't anywhere near as bad as people try to make out. Best crosser of the ball I've ever seen, a leader, incredible finisher, brilliant at set pieces.

Should likely have McManaman on the list too. Possibly ahead of Pires or Bale.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overmars, Ronaldo, McManaman, Beckham and Pires.

Hard to leave the likes of Bale, Ljungberg, Giggs and so on out..
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Ronaldo
    Beckham
    Pires
    OverMars
    Giggs
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Giggs
    Ronaldo
    Pires
    Overmars
    Beckham
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised nobody hasn't mentioned the guy that was talked about being as goof as Beckham, David Bentley.

I don't no how they ever thought that though, as he seemed to be loaned every season, he is probably most famous for getting Harry Redknapp wet