Options

BBC 4 Wodehouse in Exile

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rlwy8

Wodehouse in Exile
An intimate film featuring an all-star cast about how the author PG Wodehouse came to face a charge of treason during the Second World War and how this quintessential Englishman, creator of Jeeves and Wooster, became an exile from his own country and never set foot on English soil again.
PG Wodehouse Tim Pigott-Smith
Ethel Wodehouse Zoe Wanamaker

Haven't seen it yet myself, downloaded it though.
I know there are some fans of Wodehouse on here, thought they'd be a thread.
I've only heard some vague bits about Plum and the Nazi's, but the consensus seems to be that he was simply a bit naive.
BBC Archive interview.

Comments

• Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    I wanted to watch it even had a reminder on my mobile but still missed it. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you watch it. I may try it on iplayer.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    the consensus seems to be that he was simply a bit naive.
    That sums up the programme's take on things. Which I have no reason to doubt.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it a very good drama, very nicely filmed and acted. It showed "Plum" to be quite foolish but through sheer innocence and an unwillingness to rock the boat.
    The portrayal of Malcolm Muggeridge (who we don't immediately know to be him) was nicely done - such a contrast from the older tub thumping version
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    It was quite good. Enjoyed it rather a lot.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent drama - beautifully shot and acted (Tim PG was amazing) - and fascinating story. I didn't know anything about him being branded a traitor so this was quite an education.
    Probably the best home grown drama I've seen for a long long time.
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Excellently done - really enjoyed it