Options

Shane Filan first album as solo artist, your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Singapore doesn't have an official chart since it got discontinued in 2005, so the many different stores in the country that collects datas are used, like HMV, That CD Shop, Popular etc, and these stores also have several different charts too (Japanese/Korean, Chinese, International). If an album tops just 1 of these charts, the label counts it as #1.

In this case, his album topped the AMPed chart, which is a SingTel product that is kinda like the Singapore version of iTunes/Spotify since they're not that popular there yet, and since it's a popular product amongst the youth, it's counted as one of the more important charts in the country

AMPed app info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singtel.amped3

I lived in Singapore for 3 years :D

well said... in my country Philippines, the same process of determining number 1 albums is done.

i remember when shane released his EVERYTHING TO ME EP in my country two months ago, it was also number 1 nationwide in OVER-ALL CATEGORY (including LOCAL AND FOREIGN CHARTS).. here's the reference:

http://www.philcharts.com/2013/10/05/astrovision-astroplus-top-selling-album-september-23-29-2013/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i just cant see the point of shane fabricating story that he's number 1..
  • Options
    woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Singapore doesn't have an official chart since it got discontinued in 2005, so the many different stores in the country that collects datas are used, like HMV, That CD Shop, Popular etc, and these stores also have several different charts too (Japanese/Korean, Chinese, International). If an album tops just 1 of these charts, the label counts it as #1.

In this case, his album topped the AMPed chart, which is a SingTel product that is kinda like the Singapore version of iTunes/Spotify since they're not that popular there yet, and since it's a popular product amongst the youth, it's counted as one of the more important charts in the country

AMPed app info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.singtel.amped3

I lived in Singapore for 3 years :D

Thanks for your information. I was only asking because I was confused as to where the information had come from, and just wanted to see a link to it. I guess unless you know the number of total units sold its difficult to tell how popular Shane is in Singapore. It depends on how much of the market share Amped actually has. :confused:
  • Options
    woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Yes, you truly don't like him, do you? So he lied about this? Why on earth would Louis or Shane lie? It is Singapore, you can find an official chart on the internet. Charting in Asia in general is hard to track.

You obviously don't like him and you like to put down his sucess... have you even listened to the album, what are your thoughts? Because that is the name of the thread.

I certainly don't have a major dislike for Shane, but to me he is pretty beige, he has an okay voice, but zero personality so I don't think he has enough on offer for any long term solo career.

Who I do dislike is Louis Walsh:D The guy is full to the brim with shite! He will drop Shane like a hot potato as soon as he realises that his claim that Shane will be the biggest solo artist ever from Ireland - a ridiculous claim, considering his slow start. I'd put money on the label pulling the plug on any 2nd album now. With the success of Westlife they would have expected bigger things from him.
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure record company hasn't expected anything huge from Shane - I will say it again, it is not fair to compare Robbie, Justin or Ronan success with Shane because they haven't been in a boyband for 14 years . They left when all their boybands were huge - I don't know why you always ignore that fact.

Only these guys had success after boybands, it is VERY hard to establish a solo career so I don't know why you expect such high things from Shane. Westlife weren't what they used to be when it comes to popularity with the general public - plenty of people truly hated them and mocked them for many things. Shane is starting after that, not at the time when Help line was created to help the fans (which happened with Take That).

Shane hasn't appeared on big shows like The X Factor, Dancing On the Ice, Johnathan Ross, Allan Carr. Had he appeared there and had this success, THEN I would say he flopped. But he didn't - he appeared on fun, but mediocre shows.

You say he has zero personality, but did you ever see his interviews and things like that? Because he is very open, funny and positive when he appears somewhere.

And again, Walsh is known for hyping his acts so this is nothing new. I have to say you are very wrong if you think Walsh will leave him - he was the one who encouraged him the most to go solo after the bankruptcy in the first place and he doesn't ditch his acts so easily - that is Simon Cowell, not him.

Who knows if Shane will have 2nd album, it is hard to predict - but like I said, company has faith in him since they planned 18 moths of promo. And hey, sales weren't major, BUT the album did end up at no.6 which is not a bad result at all. They will remember this position.

All I am saying is, don't write him of before all this promo is done, you are harsh on him for no reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Not surprised to see Shane drop, as he had pretty much no promo this week. I hope he has some more promo lined up, otherwise it will keep falling. At least it could be worse Matt Cardle fell to 77 in the second week and the wanted have feel quite a bit too.
  • Options
    iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all fairness, Tinie and The Wanted have dropped as much as Shane did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope a great promotion on hit tv shows is not yet late for him..

his album deserves to be recognized
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's sold 24,273 copies in the UK in two weeks now which I don't think is too bad. Hopefully now he is home we'll see him performing on TV shows and promoting the album. :) The fact Kian is in the jungle might help get Shane on a few shows, as they often like to get related people on to talk about the contestants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how much or how many does he need to sell for his album to be platinum?
  • Options
    Franch FancyFranch Fancy Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    coun3spice wrote: »
    how much or how many does he need to sell for his album to be platinum?

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that was way too long to reach as of now... hopefully the sales climbs up again when he started touring in UK

made me realize how awesome westlife was, because all of their albums are platinum / multi-platinum.. even to their last ones... in time when everybody says that they lose the market already...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just confirmed the 3rd single will be Knee Deep In My Heart :)

If this gets a good promotion, the song could be a success as it is very fun and catchy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    zeze88 wrote: »
    He just confirmed the 3rd single will be Knee Deep In My Heart :)

If this gets a good promotion, the song could be a success as it is very fun and catchy.

As much as I love All You Need to Know, I think this is a good choice, I think if it gets promotion it will do well but depends if manages to get on any of the big shows
  • Options
    blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted All You Need To Know but this is very good also. It's very Everything To Me if that didn't do well why would this.

I'm stunned how good the album is.

The first two singles were smashes. I mean how catchy is About You people!!!?
    All You Need To Know as a ballad could have really worked if he got a good performing slot just before christmas with a early January slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad he isn't more successful as the album is actually really good and you can see he worked very hard on it, it has his life stories.

But you know, I think the sound he choose is not popular at the moment, it is very mellow and easy listening. I do respect Shane he went with it anyway, he must have known this won't be huge, but he didn't sell his soul to electronic/dance songs.

I do think Knee Deep In My heart IS different than Everything To me though, it has a very country, fun vibe - his first song had a very summery sound. i can just picture Shane in a cowboy hat and boots singing the song in the music video :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am really surprised that they chose KNEE DEEP IN MY HEART as the 3rd single, as i remembered they already made a statement that it is ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW,

much as i wanted , i am very happy KNEE DEEP IN MY HEART is chosen :) maybe ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW is better as 4th single to be released

as shane said, SPREAD THE WORD GUYS :) if shane cant make it on good hit tv shows to promote, the social media and the devoted fans could do the alternative..

hope it performs better in charts, TOP 10 PLS :)
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad they changed the single plan. I liked the original plan, but this song is better.

I think he's going to struggle with follow up singles though, pretty much every song is on the same level, there's no dud track but there's also no standout, also all songs are very similar which is risky as if the public don't connect with one of his songs they'll struggle to connect with any. I honestly feel he should bring his sound a bit more into the pop genre if he gets a second album, he needs more variety so they have more options and will give him more chances of gaining radio support. Also, although I'm super happy Shane wrote on all the tracks I wouldn't mind him just taking on some songs for album two as we'd get a lot more variety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you and me is now at #54

i hope it continues to be on the top 100 until the 3rd single is released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    siriusrose wrote: »
    I'm glad they changed the single plan. I liked the original plan, but this song is better.

I think he's going to struggle with follow up singles though, pretty much every song is on the same level, there's no dud track but there's also no standout, also all songs are very similar which is risky as if the public don't connect with one of his songs they'll struggle to connect with any. I honestly feel he should bring his sound a bit more into the pop genre if he gets a second album, he needs more variety so they have more options and will give him more chances of gaining radio support. Also, although I'm super happy Shane wrote on all the tracks I wouldn't mind him just taking on some songs for album two as we'd get a lot more variety.

i actually want him to do a lot of ballads, as on that genre he does very well and also, his voice outstands so well in those songs, include a dance or upbeat songs too if he will be given a chance to do a second album...

for sure a lot of westlife fans would love that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    latest news anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shane will be on Daybreak... and he will be performing "coming home"

is daybreak a big tv show? and why not knee deep in my heart? it's the upcoming single after all, just wondering
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    shane will be on Daybreak... and he will be performing "coming home"

is daybreak a big tv show? and why not knee deep in my heart? it's the upcoming single after all, just wondering

He said a few times before that he will perform Coming Home during Christmas time since it does have christmasy vibe.

Here is the performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VzC-aU_c8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is Shane performing Knee Deep In My Heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8mZFO-7NoE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a current tally on his album sales?