Options

Hollyoaks College investigated

RedOctopusRedOctopus Posts: 328
Forum Member
Surely there needs to be an investigation.

1) Nancy, a classroom teacher has access to exam papers before the exam.

In every other school in the country, only the exams officer has any kind of control over the scripts, which are kept locked away from any subject teachers until at least 24 hours after the exam.

2) Nancy (classroom teacher) is employed as an invigilator for her own subject.

No teacher is allowed anywhere near students taking exams in their subject.

The situation was totally ludicrous. If this had actually gone on, I don't see how any higher education institute could take the college seriously and allow entry from any HO students.

Comments

• Options
    eaststreetlovereaststreetlover Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'm pretty sure Nico wouldn't have been able to get into school
  • Options
    StrictlyDowntonStrictlyDownton Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not forgetting the way she got the job either - not having to apply for it.

She would have had to apply, be shortlisted and even teach a lesson before being shortlisted for interview. She wouldn't just be offered the job like that let alone by someone such as Patrick Blake!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Have you ever watched HO before OP?
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I'm pretty sure Nico wouldn't have been able to get into school

It's not that hard to get into a school. My old secondary school was always open and had people wondering through and my sixth form is open so anyone could theoretically walk in, although I rarely see strangers around the place :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member

She would have had to apply, be shortlisted and even teach a lesson before being shortlisted for interview. She wouldn't just be offered the job like that let alone by someone such as Patrick Blake!

As a teacher myself I know lots of other teachers who haven't had to apply for the jobs they have.

Some head teachers will just give jobs to friends and family, when they have a vacancy, and for some reason no one challenges them!
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hollyoaks, dodgepotting from reality, again?

No way! ;)
  • Options
    StrictlyDowntonStrictlyDownton Posts: 1,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nhdut wrote: »
    As a teacher myself I know lots of other teachers who haven't had to apply for the jobs they have.

Some head teachers will just give jobs to friends and family, when they have a vacancy, and for some reason no one challenges them!

As a former teacher myself don't get me wrong I know it happens and I also know that there are some creative ways around the application process too but under normal circumstances it just isn't the case and in a way not in keeping with Patrick Blake as a character who dots I's and crosses T's just for the sake of it.

However for the purposes of moving the storyline forward I can see why the writers took the "creative" option of installing a new teacher at the college.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many teachers have had affairs with their students too?
  • Options
    flbkabflbkab Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »

It's likely very rare but it did actually happen in a school near me. I think it was a 17 year old boy and his married history teacher, who was in her 30s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flbkab wrote: »
    It's likely very rare but it did actually happen in a school near me. I think it was a 17 year old boy and his married history teacher, who was in her 30s.

Wow; obviously it does happen' in Hollyoaks hasn't it happened 3 times in the past few years?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Plus Nancy was the only invigilator in the whole exam and the exam was taking place in a classroom. In real life exams normally take place in the sports hall with a handful of invigilators.
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeonM wrote: »
    Plus Nancy was the only invigilator in the whole exam and the exam was taking place in a classroom. In real life exams normally take place in the sports hall with a handful of invigilators.

Yes at our school we had one teacher sat at the front of the sports hall watching and 2 teachers used to be walking up and down the aisles.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    ameredith wrote: »
    Yes at our school we had one teacher sat at the front of the sports hall watching and 2 teachers used to be walking up and down the aisles.

That's what it was like at my school as well.
  • Options
    fenpeperfenpeper Posts: 265
    Forum Member

Happened in our local college but was dealt with incredibly discreetly.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why moving from Uni students to 6th form students was a bad idea. Its like Neighbours! where all the kids get taught in the same class room by the same teacher regardless of age.
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    RedOctopus wrote: »
    Surely there needs to be an investigation.

1) Nancy, a classroom teacher has access to exam papers before the exam.

In every other school in the country, only the exams officer has any kind of control over the scripts, which are kept locked away from any subject teachers until at least 24 hours after the exam.

2) Nancy (classroom teacher) is employed as an invigilator for her own subject.

No teacher is allowed anywhere near students taking exams in their subject.

The situation was totally ludicrous. If this had actually gone on, I don't see how any higher education institute could take the college seriously and allow entry from any HO students.

And this is the first thing you have seen in Hollyoaks that is procedurally, factually or physically incorrect?

Hope you enjoyed watching your first episode!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    LeonM wrote: »

Im currently doing my A-Levels and most of the exam have taken place in classrooms with one invigilator inside the room and one outside the room.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Wow; obviously it does happen' in Hollyoaks hasn't it happened 3 times in the past few years?

I can only think of Justin and Becca. Technically Nancy hasn't actually done anything. Who is the other one you're referring to?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was bewildered that they specifically went out of their way to include a scene where Nancy told John Paul she was correcting Chemistry papers (??) as well as teaching French and PE.

Very absurd of them to add that in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I agree.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a soap. Reality is suspended for entertainment. I certainly don't want to have any of the 21 minutes of showtime filled up with someone applying for jobs or weeks of dragging out an investigation into something when it doesn't serve to develop the plot.

I don't think anything will come of Nancy and Robbie it seems obvious to me that she's just enjoying the attention because Darren doesn't give her any. Even if something does come of it - he's no longer her student and is 18 next week.