Smoking age

13»

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Yes, but give it 30 odd years and nobody under the age of 50 will be allowed. Kids won't be able to pass themselves off for 50, and very few people are going to start once they approach 50.

Another 50 years and it is going to be near impossible for anyone to buy cigarettes.

Why does this bother you to this extent?
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Remain at 18
    anne_666 wrote: »
    OOO too much reality there! :D

Well, the hypocrisy beggars belief.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remain at 18
    DadDancer wrote: »
    I think 16 should be the official adult age for everything and ID checks relaxed considerably. We should go back to using common sense instead of all this nanny state nonsense introduced by new Labour and upheld by this latest Tory government.

16 is way too young these days, 16 year olds these days especially boys are way too immature to be legally allowed to make full adult decisions.

Before 1969 the age of adult majority was 21, after the 1st of January 1970 the age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 with good reason back then.

The age of majority is nothing to do with smoking and never has been, however 18 should remain the legal age for both legal adulthood and smoking, its certainly a more sensible age than 16.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    16 is way too young these days, 16 year olds these days especially boys are way too immature to be legally allowed to make full adult decisions.

Before 1969 the age of adult majority was 21, after the 1st of January 1970 the age of majority was reduced from 21 to 18 with good reason back then.

The age of majority is nothing to do with smoking and never has been, however 18 should remain the legal age for both legal adulthood and smoking, its certainly a more sensible age than 16.

BIB. Smoking is not illegal at any age.
  • mark23mark23 Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Reduced back to 16
    It definitely shouldn't be increased. You are an adult aged 18 and shouldn't be told you can not do something other adults can.

I started smoking when I was 14 and used to get mates who looked older to buy them for me and that would still happen if they increased the age. I think 16 is about right - people normally start smoking before that anyway. You can join the army and pay tax when you are 16 so you should be able to smoke.

I'm 27 and still get asked for ID sometimes. Doesn't bother me if they think I look young!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remain at 18
    anne_666 wrote: »
    BIB. Smoking is not illegal at any age.

Not smoking itself, we`re talking about buying them to smoke for themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not smoking itself, we`re talking about buying them to smoke for themselves.

Yes I know. Sorry I thought you were referring to a legal smoking age.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both are piece of piss jobs which a 14 year old can do. A mortgage advisor tells you what mortgages they have but unable to make any recommendations, whilst an estate agent opens doors for people and phones around a bit.

I guess you wouldn't buy petrol from a 16 year old manning the Esso kiosk using that logic given that they have never driven a car.

A 14yo can't qualify as a mortgage advisor. I confess to being a bit astonished that you'd leave a massive purchase in the hands of a kid. But fair do's. I wouldn't, personally.

Petrol is a simple transaction. I'd trust a 16yo with a cheap purchase.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reduced back to 16

I totally disagree and what are you basing that on exactly? :confused:
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reduced back to 16
    DianaFire wrote: »
    A 14yo can't qualify as a mortgage advisor. I confess to being a bit astonished that you'd leave a massive purchase in the hands of a kid. But fair do's. I wouldn't, personally.

Petrol is a simple transaction. I'd trust a 16yo with a cheap purchase.

isn't 16 the legal age to buy petrol anyway?
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    isn't 16 the legal age to buy petrol anyway?

Ask yer man up there. I don't drive so I've no idea at all if it's one of those age-restricted products like solvents.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop workers can't seem to tell how old anyone is. When I went to buy a bottle of whiskey last week I was asked for my ID and I'm 32.

I smoked briefly when I was a teenager because my older brother did. Then I got bronchitis and gave up. I think the age of 18 is fine. Anyhow, kids get older people to buy cigs for them as other people have said. I saw two kids aged about 10 smoking the other day. Raising the age won't make much difference if any at all.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They fine older people who buy alcohol for younger people if not at a pub or inside the house. Smoking should be straight away arrest/fine if they give it to a kid.