Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Well I had read what you had put but does that mean he couldn't prepare properly once he knew he was to be recalled again and start getting it right as he has in the past?.
    Not starting up a cricket debate obviously because I know as much about cricket as Alan Brazil does about the English Premier League which is nuffin.

Well that's the problem isn't it, the next Test is in a couple of weeks time. Don't see how he could make that. He's about to fly off to the CPL (Caribbean Premier League), more T20. So he won't be playing any First-class this year. So how will he be ready to Tour in the Winter.

He really could have been playing County Cricket all year, he's decided just to play T20. Personally I think he's quite happy just to make the money in these T20 things, and it's all lip-service this England stuff.

If he'd played for Surrey scored tons of runs then his case would be SOOOOO much better. He chose not too.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's the problem isn't it, the next Test is in a couple of weeks time. Don't see how he could make that. He's about to fly off to the CPL (Caribbean Premier League), more T20. So he won't be playing any First-class this year. So how will he be ready to Tour in the Winter.

He really could have been playing County Cricket all year, he's decided just to play T20. Personally I think he's quite happy just to make the money in these T20 things, and it's all lip-service this England stuff.

If he'd played for Surrey scored tons of runs then his case would be SOOOOO much better. He chose not too.

Thanks Sean I have taken all that in so at least I now have some understanding of the subject even if only a tiny little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was going to link the Morgan call but was out on the bike from 5.30 and gave it a hammering, got back pressure washed the patio and paths in the baking hot sun, cleaned the frigging windows fronts and back had me dinner and am knackered so off for a siesta for a few hours might link the call later but it's probably featured anyway on the website for anyone who has not yet heard it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Sean I have taken all that in so at least I now have some understanding of the subject even if only a tiny little.

TBF, it's all about opinions, like any sport chat. Other opinions are available.

I'll admit I'm biased I never much liked KP as a person. Plenty of people thought he was made a scapegoat though.

Yet, for most cricket fans, even the one's that thought he was shabbily treated, theythink it's time to move on now.

34 years old, not playing full-time cricket, he's practically semi-retired. Hasn't passed 40 all season in what he is playing. Was pretty poor in the IPL too.

Yet it's why I think Morgan is winning the argument, because I understand your reasoning and people that don't follow the game that closely reasoning. It's brilliant for Morgan it's keeping him in the news, and he's just appealing to very casual observers, so he doesn't need any real facts.

Typical Tabloid tub-thumping, sensationalist and reactionary.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been meaning to answer your 1541 post ( and will do) just wondered if you have been following the aftermath of of the Johnny Vaughan v John Sitton spat ( so to speak) which has been just as interesting.
    I need to hear this call.

Billy, see the post I refer to where I detailed the call and linked to it on talkSPORT Listen Again: click here.

I'm surprised it didn't get more discussion on here at the time, I think my post on the subject was lost among all of CorbynDallas' posts over the weekend.

Stormy-Weathers, in answer to your question I did follow the immediate aftermath of the Vaughan-Sitton argument on Twitter (I was trying to find out what had happened before listening back to the call itself) but hadn't since then until reading your post. Since reading your post I have subsequently checked it out, it does seem very one-sided on Sitton's part - I don't think Vaughan has said anything since going off-air on Saturday (I don't think he's on social media) and his co-hosts James Brown and Gavin Woods haven't really spoken about it on their Twitter feeds.

As someone who's not a fan of The Warm Up at all and sees Sitton as a bit of a lower league cult hero, I'd forgive you for assuming that I'd be on the side of Sitton. However I actually found myself feeling sorry for Johnny. Yes, he does josh with his guests and take the mickey but when I've heard him conduct interviews I find that on the whole he is good natured with it. Sitton clearly took exception to his approach and then started hammering him about his background, schooling and hinted at his criminal conviction. I thought it was unnecessary and a bit of a low blow, Johnny fought his corner but you could tell he was feeling hurt by it - it was clear that he'd enjoyed Club for a Fiver and was looking forward to interviewing Sitton, hoping that they'd all have some fun and it would be friendly.

Vaughan isn't the most affable person on talkSPORT but I don't think he's someone who would set out to upset a guest, which may explain why he was so taken aback by Sitton's response and so clearly he was put off his stride from that point onwards. I know Sitton has credited Colin Murray and Matt Forde for their very welcoming interviews with him in the past (particularly the latter, who was close to hero-worshiping him), but I wonder if he'll be invited back on the station again after this little incident. I hope he does as he's entertaining and has some very interesting things to say about football coaching. I'm not against his suggestion of a second interview with Vaughan to clear the air and hopefully end on a more friendly note.
  • stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to hear this call.

Here it is Billy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9UtPKX-rM&feature=youtu.be

I think Talksport has removed this part so if anyone listens to the programme
    again on their website i don't think they will hear it ( this is what i have been told
    by people that tried to listen to it on their website )
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rushden just said "Goughy" was a mordern day hero !!

I'd say he was the second biggest moron on tS only, eclipsed by Quinn

for my tuppennys' worth; .......... I thought morgan 'won to faults to one' & had the pitbull on the ropes a few times
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    I'm not a KP fan and do not know much about Cricket. I would not let him return because off his age and the fact he's a disruptive influence in the changing room.

Morgan should stay out of things that don't concern him. It's not just this KP or Captain Weasel thing he's also been very vocal in the past regarding Wenger
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    I'm not a KP fan and do not know much about Cricket.

I'd say football as well Jack lad, after 25 + years watching Leeds !! :p:D:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy, see the post I refer to where I detailed the call and linked to it on talkSPORT Listen Again: click here.

I'm surprised it didn't get more discussion on here at the time, I think my post on the subject was lost among all of CorbynDallas' posts over the weekend.

Stormy-Weathers, in answer to your question I did follow the immediate aftermath of the Vaughan-Sitton argument on Twitter (I was trying to find out what had happened before listening back to the call itself) but hadn't since then until reading your post. Since reading your post I have subsequently checked it out, it does seem very one-sided on Sitton's part - I don't think Vaughan has said anything since going off-air on Saturday (I don't think he's on social media) and his co-hosts James Brown and Gavin Woods haven't really spoken about it on their Twitter feeds.

As someone who's not a fan of The Warm Up at all and sees Sitton as a bit of a lower league cult hero, I'd forgive you for assuming that I'd be on the side of Sitton. However I actually found myself feeling sorry for Johnny. Yes, he does josh with his guests and take the mickey but when I've heard him conduct interviews I find that on the whole he is good natured with it. Sitton clearly took exception to his approach and then started hammering him about his background, schooling and hinted at his criminal conviction. I thought it was unnecessary and a bit of a low blow, Johnny fought his corner but you could tell he was feeling hurt by it - it was clear that he'd enjoyed Club for a Fiver and was looking forward to interviewing Sitton, hoping that they'd all have some fun and it would be friendly.

Vaughan isn't the most affable person on talkSPORT but I don't think he's someone who would set out to upset a guest, which may explain why he was so taken aback by Sitton's response and so clearly he was put off his stride from that point onwards. I know Sitton has credited Colin Murray and Matt Forde for their very welcoming interviews with him in the past (particularly the latter, who was close to hero-worshiping him), but I wonder if he'll be invited back on the station again after this little incident. I hope he does as he's entertaining and has some very interesting things to say about football coaching. I'm not against his suggestion of a second interview with Vaughan to clear the air and hopefully end on a more friendly note.

Now heard that call thanks Diff meant to hear it before when I first read your post with the link on it but forgot to go back to it after pressing ahead reading further on into the pages. To be honest I was a little taken aback by JV's reaction I'd figured he'd have been a bit thicker skinned than get bothered about someone slagging him it must have been the surprise element that got him. Must admit even though I don't like Vaughan much I enjoyed Andy Gray's earlier call, (not the Richard Keys Andy Gray the other one) did you hear that by any chance I thought it was good?, if you didn't and would like to I have now added it to my YouTube stuff via this link. ---> http://bit.ly/1njIanL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here it is Billy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9UtPKX-rM&feature=youtu.be

I think Talksport has removed this part so if anyone listens to the programme
    again on their website i don't think they will hear it ( this is what i have been told
    by people that tried to listen to it on their website )

Oh thanks anyway Stormy if I'd seen this post before the one above it I would have accessed your link that took me straight to it, good call. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say football as well Jack lad, after 25 + years watching Leeds !! :p:D:

Good one!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the Brian Moore/Piers Morgan phone call has been removed from Listen Again:( I've looked and looked and just cannot find it, if so this is very unusual as there was no real libel or swearing it's very odd and a great shame for the people that might have missed it. :(
  • CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cricket is so (yawn) dull.

Hey Talksport let's keep it Premier League please or at a push golf.

Those are the only two sports that matter in life.

Big Alan Brazil is back on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast tomorrow morning from 0600 and I trust the chat will be mostly Premier League related.

Keep it Talksport guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a copy thanks to dneilmusic13 next door. :)

http://youtu.be/3sPBzYfKUIk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Bernard Brazil is back in the marnin from his long weekend at Sir Booby's golf bash he'll be doing the show from Glasgow by all accounts covering the Commonwealth Games will this mean more coverage on talkSPORT of the games than so far cos all they've covered up to now is the obese and overweight Ian Abrahams doing different athletic disciplines timed by a stopwatch supposedly I guess for us all to laugh at as he's so unfit and slow trouble is I haven't laughed once yet as I find it a bit sad a lad so young could let himself go so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Is that Andy Goldstein I hear on the ads for Virgin Media? This guy can hardly pronounce anything on a programme like the Sports Bar, how on earth did he get that job?
  • mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member

On first listen I would agree with you but having listened to the interview again, it's Vaughan that comes out badly from it. He was clearly baiting Sitton with questions about who had let him down/Geoff Hurst and then started to talk over him.

Sitton's public school comment was definitely unnecessary but it was Vaughan who misinterpreted the 'bottom feeders' comment and the interview went downhill from there. James Brown changed the subject but Vaughan wouldn't let it lie - he took some cheap shots and then decided to cut him off. It's these final actions which make Vaughan look bad.

I'm a big fan of Danny Kelly and 'The Warm Up' is a funny show (despite it's repetitiveness) but Sitton is right about the Kelly school of broadcasting. I prefer to attribute it to enthusiasm in Danny's case but it does smack of smugness when it comes to Murray, Goldstein and Vaughan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgns wrote: »
    On first listen I would agree with you but having listened to the interview again, it's Vaughan that comes out badly from it. He was clearly baiting Sitton with questions about who had let him down/Geoff Hurst and then started to talk over him.

Sitton's public school comment was definitely unnecessary but it was Vaughan who misinterpreted the 'bottom feeders' comment and the interview went downhill from there. James Brown changed the subject but Vaughan wouldn't let it lie - he took some cheap shots and then decided to cut him off. It's these final actions which make Vaughan look bad.

I'm a big fan of Danny Kelly and 'The Warm Up' is a funny show (despite it's repetitiveness) but Sitton is right about the Kelly school of broadcasting. I prefer to attribute it to enthusiasm in Danny's case but it does smack of smugness when it comes to Murray, Goldstein and Vaughan.

"The Danny Kelly school of broadcasting" or something like that wasn't it I've only heard it the once, so he's not impressed much by Kelly is he wonder what he thinks about the rest when Kelly's regarded by many as the best they have. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC waste a helluva lot of money but so do talkSPORT as well, ok the BBC wasted money is our money as people always point out but if talkSPORT didn't waste their money maybe they wouldn't have to cram so many commercials into the schedules because they wouldn't need as much if they stopped the wasted expenditure.
    Sending Alan Bernard to the world cup in Brazil to do a meaningless show at 2am and then bringing him all the way back after 7 days was crazy he could have done just the same job back in London, only Alan Brazil could have swung that one folks. ;-) And sending him to Glasgow for 2 days for the Commonwealth Games what's that all about as well I know Al looks an athlete and trains religiously every afternoon after each show doing right arm exercises (up down, up down, up down all through the afternoon) in the London bars but it's ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Brazil call Clive Allen, Steve earlier?
  • HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't listen to it, my hatred for Piers can not possibly be explained. Yet Morgan is clearly winning because he's getting his agenda talked about as KP v Cook.

In the end it's not as simple as that. Cook should probably go, but this doesn't mean KP should come back. The guy has not played First-class cricket this year. Just T20, and he's not even played them very well.

For football fans, to recall him to Tests, would be a bit like recalling a footballer to a 90 minute International when all he's been doing is playing 5-a-side.

Cook and KP don't p[lay in the same position, so to bring him back we'd have to drop, Moeen, Bell, Ballance or Root. All better prospects in the long run. Or force one of those to open, which isn't best for them.
    There are two important points in this debate which are rarely mentioned. Firstly, Cook stood up for Pietersen during the Strauss text debacle. Really, very fine player thought Pietersen was at the time, they should have burnt his bridges then, and everyone would have understood why.

Can you imagine if a Man United player in the era of Fergie texted opposition players before a game, slagging off prominent people at Manchester United, and even telling the opposition the best way to approach the game? And then it made the press. He'd been out on his ear, whoever he was.

Secondly, people always talk about Pietersen as if he was still an outstanding player at the end of his test career. In fact, in his last two years of playing for England, in 26 tests he averaged 38 and scored four hundreds. That's 1/4 of his entire test career, so not a small sample. Pretty good, but not outstanding. The fact is, he wasn't the same force that made the infamous innings at the Oval and played some other incredible knocks. Was it worthwhile continuing to tolerate his disruptive behaviour? I don't think it was.

Has he made any runs since he was dropped? Absolutely not. Has he behaved like a tit, slagging off people within the England dressing room on numerous occasions, generally behaving like a tit, but still somehow believing that he'll be recalled despite this? Yes, he has.

Pietersen is a nightmare in a team environment, I would liken him to someone like Balotelli, except he's probably worse. The list of incidents he's been involved in are as long as your arm. If he was scoring like Bradman, maybe you could tolerate it, but the fact is that he isn't, and he probably won't ever again, because he's past his sell-by date.

I could understand all the furore about it if this wasn't the case, but we're not talking about a Jacques Kallis, irreplaceable 55+ average and world-class bowler here, we're talking about someone whose performances were showing a clear downward trend.
  • HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian_ wrote: »
    Is that Andy Goldstein I hear on the ads for Virgin Media? This guy can hardly pronounce anything on a programme like the Sports Bar, how on earth did he get that job?
    I remember when he was sitting in for Paul Hawksbee, and TS were doing a cancer campaign, and he stated that more awareness needed to be raised about "prostrate cancer". I was sitting there saying out loud, even though I was in a house on my own "you ****ing idiot".

And Jacobs very politely pointed out to him that it's prostate cancer, which had he been on with Hawksbee and one of them made that mistake then he would have got absolutely hammered. And Goldstein asked how he'd pronounced it, and then said "oh, that's how you say it, is it?"

No, it's not "how he says it"! 'Prostrate' means to lie down on the floor, the 'prostate' is part of the reproductive system. They're two completely words that mean two completely different things, it's not a pronunciation issue!

So, yeah, he's the ideal person to do voiceovers and continuity announcements.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    "Torres for £30 million is a bargain. In the big games, he scores goals."

Darren Gough, what an utter numpty.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to post #1640 posted at 21.55hrs last night, Tuesday.......excuse my French but it has to be said;

VA TE FAIRE FOUTRE!!!
This discussion has been closed.