Options

Is it me, or was that act dreadful??

missfrizzymissfrizzy Posts: 7,536
Forum Member
Haven't been watching this show, but was flicking through the channels, and came upon BGT, there was a young man dressed like one of the beatles and murdering an old tune., (try a little tenderness).
It was all over the place, and I thought it was a joke act, until he was finished and the panel were telling him how wonderful he was.:o

This is crazy. It's like the kings new clothes, and somebody should stand up and shout "rubbish"!!

Comments

• Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes not one singer will make it big this year
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    He can sing, but that was not good. The song was too grown-up for him. He put no feeling into it (because he's too young for the song).
  • Options
    ThatJoshThatJosh Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean James Smith? I adore him! Not for his singing really though, haha..
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we all thought he was great, both on the guitar and with his singing. He is only 15 and has a great talent, I think we will hear more from him in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Well, we all thought he was great, both on the guitar and with his singing. He is only 15 and has a great talent, I think we will hear more from him in the future.

James is amazingly talented!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let the guy play but he does need to stop the voice being so affected and also learn to play the guitar better as well.

Just because Ed Sheeran plays it so high, doesn't make you famous. Ed is pretty dire a guitarist and so are a lot of these wannabes.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    He can sing, but that was not good. The song was too grown-up for him. He put no feeling into it (because he's too young for the song).

I agree. I said to my OH during his performance that the song was way too old for him and he really couldn't have any idea of the emotion involved in the subject matter.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    He didn't sing the words to the song with any feeling because he was too young. I only heard him as I was in another room but listening to him was just dire.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked the song he chose for his audition, which I think is the same song performed on the final by Jack Pack. I wasn't crazy about James' performance last night though, it wasn't a good song for him.
  • Options
    jock_fjock_f Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »

Funnily enough that's exactly what my wife said, but I thought he did ok. He was in tune all the way through, more or less, but I don't think his guitar was.
    I think he will mature into a credible singer.
    Unfortunately we are old enough to remeber the Otis Redding version, so anything else is pretty meh.
  • Options
    Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges always love people who sing like that but it does nothing for me. Luckily the public have never voted for that type of singing as a winner on BGT...they seem to prefer 'normal' singing.
    He must be respected though. Going out there with just a guitar and his voice is a difficult thing to do compared to going out as a group of 5.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fast-forwarded the annoying children acts.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I thought he was great and nailed it. He is so fresh faced and smiley too, very likeable. However, I couldn't see why he was moved into such a retro genre. I suppose Simon thought grannies would like him so he was presented as Paul McCartney aged 15. There isn't anyone like that around these days and I just think he was in totally the wrong genre.
  • Options
    I'm-a-painI'm-a-pain Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved his semi final slowed down arrangement of 'Crazy', but as soon as he started singing in the final I was mentally shouting "WRONG SONG!! WRONG SONG!!" He should sack his advisers, lol

xx
  • Options
    zolugzolug Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great voice great performer WRONG SONG.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missfrizzy wrote: »
    Haven't been watching this show, but was flicking through the channels, and came upon BGT, there was a young man dressed like one of the beatles and murdering an old tune., (try a little tenderness).
    It was all over the place, and I thought it was a joke act, until he was finished and the panel were telling him how wonderful he was.:o

This is crazy. It's like the kings new clothes, and somebody should stand up and shout "rubbish"!!

Agree!

Unfortunately though in BGT final the acts are frequently told what to sing and how to perform - this may have been the case for this young man if - as others have said - he was good in his audition (when they sing what they choose).
  • Options
    nan_thanan_tha Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    zolug wrote: »
    Great voice great performer WRONG SONG.

Hear Hear. James Smith really does have talent and deserves to do well. He should have been in the top 3 instead of the awful B&M, and had he chosen a more suitable song, probably would - indeed he might even have won.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Don't know what you were listening to, I absolutely love James and he was by far my favourite of the night! :p Probably helps that I have never heard that song before to be honest, I did like his performance of Crazy more though.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    He's a young boy. Taking his age into account, no way could that be described as dreadful.

It wasn't perfect but credit where it's due.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know what you were listening to, I absolutely love James and he was by far my favourite of the night! :p Probably helps that I have never heard that song before to be honest, I did like his performance of Crazy more though.

:o

Can I presume you're quite young as that is one of the classic all time soul songs?

Look up the Otis Redding version on youtube and see how it should be performed.