Saddest/most emotional song ever?

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
What song (or songs) has or have affected you so deeply that you either physically cried or really felt like you wanted to? What songs touched you deeply on a personal level, and made you feel really sad?
I really like slow songs, and often these are very sad. There's one on Alan Parsons's debut solo album "Try anything once" called "Oh life (There must be more)" and it breaks me up every time I hear it. Then there's "Neverland" from Marillion's latest "Marbles", and the super-superlative "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright (it's in Shrek). There's also "Valentine" from Ten's "Babylon" --- what a song! and "Kentucky Avenue" by Tom Waits from "Blue valentine".
As I think of more I'll throw them in.
So who else?
TH

Comments

• dugqdugq Posts: 4,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thoughts" That Shelley knew what he was talking about. Some of my favs

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat
    Scott Walker - The Bridge
    Nick Drake - Fruit Tree (or practically anything off Five Leaves Left)
    Emmylou Harris - from boulder to birmingham
    Townes van Zandt - (Quicksilver Daydreams Of) Maria, and Tower Song

Plus loads of others
  • BeatleGodBeatleGod Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Young's "Philadelphia" is a contender, to accompany the film of the same name.

Oh....and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by The Beatles, as it was the last time all 4 Beatles recorded a song together and in the studio at the same time, in August 1969.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" always gets me going. The words really mean a lot to me and I was going through a very hard time when I first heard it so it carries a lot of memories for me.
  • PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Evanescence..My Immortal

Beyonce song..Listen from Dreamgirls
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PANNAL1 wrote:

Beyonce song..Listen from Dreamgirls

I agree. I also like James Morrison, pieces don't fit anymore, that's quite emotional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beck- lost cause. I dare anyone to listen to this and not feel moved!

I dare you. ;)
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I knew there was one I was forgetting. It really does make me cry when I hear it. Listen to the lyric and you'll find yourself crying too. Haunting, disturbing piano masterpiece from James Blunt: "No bravery".
    TH
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Vincent by Don McLean..........

sad, because it's true :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Imagine - John Lennon
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote:
    I knew there was one I was forgetting. It really does make me cry when I hear it. Listen to the lyric and you'll find yourself crying too. Haunting, disturbing piano masterpiece from James Blunt: "No bravery".
    TH

I love the song, the lyrics are really, really moving........but I just can't stand James Blunt's whiney, scrapey voice :o
    soz :o
  • SnortimerSnortimer Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    It's quite embarassing to admit but I will. I find that 60's slow songs can be very moving. Percol Harem(sp??) is very emotive.

Also, Aikon's I am so Lonely, used to make me feel sad. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigur Rós - Starálfur is the most emotional song I've heard in a long time. I bought Ágætis Byrjun a couple months ago and I can't recommend it highly enough!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Amazing Grace' - my favourite is the Robson & Jerome version, but they're all beautiful.
    'Some Broken Hearts Never Mend' - Don Williams

Both of those songs were played at my granddad's funeral (well, 'Some Broken Hearts...' was played and 'Amazing Grace' was sung), so they both make me cry.

I also think these songs can be very sad sometimes:

'A Million Love Songs' - Take That (but it's my favourite song, so it makes me very happy too!)
    'Tears And Rain' - James Blunt
    'Angels' - Robbie Williams
    'My Heart Will Go On' - Celine Dion (yes, I have it on my iPod... :o )
    'Iris' - the Goo-Goo Dolls
    'The Dance' - Westlife (one of my other favourite songs, so it also makes me happy too!)
    and 'Open Your Eyes' - Snow Patrol
  • jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    BeatleGod wrote:
    Neil Young's "Philadelphia" is a contender, to accompany the film of the same name.

You beat me to it.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    kite by u2
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything By Simply Red
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long forgotten track by White Buffalo called 'Faith, Hope and You'
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blur - No Distance Left To Run
    Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trollheart wrote:
    and the super-superlative "Hallelujah" by Rufus Wainwright (it's in Shrek).

Wow, when i read the thread title i instantly thought of this song. I couldnt believe my eyes when i read it in your post. Im with you on this one.

"It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth"
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeatleGod wrote:

Oh....and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" by The Beatles, as it was the last time all 4 Beatles recorded a song together and in the studio at the same time, in August 1969.

It's the most poignant song in a movie ever in my opinion. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnny Cash- Hurt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Victims by culture club
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Colin Blunstone "I don't believe in Miracles"
    Diana Ross "Touch me in the morning"
    Rose Royce "Wishing on a Star"
    Toto "Africa" - not because it's sad, but because I just love it
    William Blake - Jerusalem
    Gustav Holst - Jupiter from the Planet Suite. Oh sorry, that's not actually a song... but what the heck, it's totally gorgeous! :)
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
    Rainy Days & Mondays - The Carpenters
    Drive - The Cars
    Without You - Nilsson
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Snortimer wrote:
    It's quite embarassing to admit but I will. I find that 60's slow songs can be very moving. Percol Harem(sp??) is very emotive.

Also, Aikon's I am so Lonely, used to make me feel sad. :o
    Do you mean "Whiter Shade of Pale" (by Procol Haram ;))? I never quite "got" that one. "Someone left my cake out in the rain, I don't think that I can take it cos it took so long to bake it and I'll never find that recipe again", it just always made me think of my mother's histrionics every time one of her fruit cakes sunk in the middle (as they invariably did!) :D